This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drive surgeon

pressure washing commercial advice wanted
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:34:18 pm »
been asked to quote a massive job which includes a mile of paving, and nearly a hudred parking bays, also they have 2 other sites and said if they are happy with the price i could do them too or it could be a contract, as i have not got any contracts and im a one man band it seems a bit daunting.  i only have a small van still so the firdst thing that springs to mind is water supply and access to water,  i dont think i could even attempt this without a bowser to carry 1000ltrs and this will only give me an hour or so supply, would i have to stop every hour to fill up from some supply?   do you guys pay the council to use their water from a stand pipe?  what if there are no stand pipes near were you are working?
 because the job is so big i just think i would keep running out of water cos i could not feed the tank whilst going along cleaning the long paths. ???

do i still charge per square metre or per day?  it will be crazy trying to measure it all,   and if they offer me to put in for a contract to clean their properties where do i start?  sounds silly me saying all this but im only gradually getting into the commercial scene as most of my work is domestic,   i wont sleep tonight thinking about it????    

any help would be great and much appreciated/ :)

drivewasher

Re: pressure washing commercial advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:21:00 am »
To use the fire hydrants in the street you need a licence from the relevant water authority IE united utilities in Wigan. You have to pay up front for it plus you have to buy a "key", It's an atatchment to fix into the hydrant after lifting lid. and a tool for opening the valve, you can fit a garden type tap and use 3/4 hose but you can adapt for any size you like so if you choose say 4 inch bsp and a lenght of 4 inch layflat hose you can fill a 1000 litres in about 5 mins (drop 4 inch hose in through the big screw lid)

You HAVE to carry:

The licence
Stand pipe and key
Steralising solution to water board specs to steralise the water conection to prevent public poisining via supply
And the board want your vehicle registration and the serial number of the plant you are useing the licence for (this is to prevent multiple uses of 1 licence
And they do carry out spot checks
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

trevor perry

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 10:15:13 am »
as drivewasher says you will need a licence for the standpipe.
   another thing to consider is the times that the work can be carried out if it is a high pedestrian area it will have to be done at night so you would need to light the area with lights and a generator .
  as in smaller jobs check for drainage too as some  large retail parks have very poor drainage.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Richy L

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:03:37 pm »
are there any outside taps nearby?

If there is no water supply on the site(inclding fire hydrants) this will affect your price, as the job will take a lot longer if you need to keep refilling your tank.

drive surgeon

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:13:29 pm »
not been to look at it yet but i just after advice, do you guys take water from under the ground and pay the council?? or do you just use another source?  you see its a big row of student houses with parking bays and the owner wants it cleaned up. so i can hardly ask people can i use their water from each house as it will be in the day and they will be out.  i need to know more about this council water stuff.  united utilities. ???

Richy L

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:44 pm »
i have never needed one, but a friend of mine uses one.
It costs about £30 a month for unlimited water

rob fryer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »
drivesurgeon ive got a large van with two tanks  1400lts willing to sub my services to you if your interested ,got all the gear diesel presure washer flat surface cleaner etc give me a call 07731441010 rob

Mr H

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:47:09 pm »
Sound like you get Rob to price it all up and do the job for you and you just add on a "finders fee" of 15% to the total. That way everyone wins....

Regards
Mr H

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00:36 pm »
hi,
as any of the homes got water butts? or hire a water bower. or if its not far to travel bottom off a water tank and fill it up.
mark

Roger Oakley

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:46 am »
I know it is going to take time, but I would really go and measure the site.
With that many car parking bays, there is going to be oil stains, so how many and how bad are they etc?. Check where the water/stand pipe positions are, then work out hose lengths etc, do you need more hose? Where is the waste water going to go? What is the surface, block or just concrete? On a job this size people will be watching etc, so cover yourself on this issue. Get on to your local water company, check price and whats what for stand-pipe licence. Now can you do this job on your own, or will you have to sub some out? If you sub-out what price do the subbies want per day, and how many metres a day can they clean. also will one stand pipe feed say 2-3 machines? A job this size needs some home work and thought.
Good Luck.

drive surgeon

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 10:57:16 am »
cheers guys, i have never subbed any work out before! ???

shall i just ask a company to price it up and add on my fee and then send the quote to the boss?

sometimes i wonder if some jobs are just too big, im only a 1 man band,

hey roger do you have people working for you or are you a 1 man band too?

obvoiusly i need the money like anyone, they might be getting a few quotes for all i know but they might offer a contract to the people who get the job so i got to think here quick.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 01:58:16 pm »
Have one full time person with me. Might need to put a second machine/truck out later this year.
When I was saying sub-out, I meant for them to work along side you unless you want to sub the whole job out, I would be careful doing that as you might loose any future work from the client to the sub-contarctor if they are cheaper etc. If it was me, do as I advised earlier, put a quote together with your finding's and costs from my above post & submit it to the cilent. You are going to need to know prices of the sub-contratctor before you do all this and are you happy to work with them etc. Remember H&S and Risk docs would need to be done seeing as it is a commmercial job.
Go for it Jamie you have nothing to loose, but everything to gain at this stage.

rob fryer

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 02:56:52 pm »
Drive  surgeon i ment i would help you on the job if you needed me ,if you think its to big a job for one man  and machine .If not good look dont do it to cheap and take a good look at the job dont forget to take lots of photos ,Walk round with the client get a feel of  what he expects from you, make sure you get your payment terms in writing as it seems doing the job is the easy part these days geting your money on time is not .

drive surgeon

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 03:07:42 pm »
roger what h&s things do i need?  if im doing it on my own do i need these? ???

Richy L

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 03:37:20 pm »
you dont need the documents unless you are asked for them. But i assume you have PL wich is a must really.

Dont be scared of big jobs. I just took on on a few weeks back, my first "big" job nd it was a bit daunting, but it was the best job I have ever done!

Roger Oakley

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »
Yes you do need them, even if you are on your own for this one.
The basic's are a H&S method statement, how are you going to do the work, what precauitons are you taking to protect the public etc. Are you using any chemicals (even oil stain degreaser's) need to be listed. If people are working with you what safety (PPE First aid etc) will they be using and are you supplying it etc. Re-fueling machines, how and where are you doing this.
It is pretty basic stuff, a lot of common sense is needed, each site will be different, that is why you need to look at the site and check everything, not only what you will be cleaning but the things written above, esp public safety side of things.
The Risk assessment is what it is, an assessment of the work and the risk to one and all. Do you have a template to work with?

Richy L

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 03:49:59 pm »
Yes you do need them, even if you are on your own for this one.
The basic's are a H&S method statement, how are you going to do the work, what precauitons are you taking to protect the public etc. Are you using any chemicals (even oil stain degreaser's) need to be listed. If people are working with you what safety (PPE First aid etc) will they be using and are you supplying it etc. Re-fueling machines, how and where are you doing this.
It is pretty basic stuff, a lot of common sense is needed, each site will be different, that is why you need to look at the site and check everything, not only what you will be cleaning but the things written above, esp public safety side of things.
The Risk assessment is what it is, an assessment of the work and the risk to one and all. Do you have a template to work with?

I believe you can do a mental risk assessment cant you? It doesnt have to be on paper for every job unless they ask for it.

drive surgeon

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 04:09:46 pm »
hey roger no i dont have a template i could do with one please,  anyone who has one please mail it to me at    fod393@aol.com and i will be very greatfull.

it is a bit daunting.  rog do you employ your colleague on a casual thing or fully employed.? i need to get contracts with guaranteed income before i employ anyone.  i need to get my big van first too if i get this job, would have to get it right away. i feel a bit daft going to see thiss boss without the right gear to do the job, like a van with a tank in. i could always hire a bowser with pressure washer on it from a hire shop i suppose.  i got to start somwhere i suppose, im not going to say to the boss i aint got the gear or he will look elsewhere, i need to get the job and then get the gear to do it.  it aint easy!! :o

trevor perry

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 04:12:19 pm »
if you employ under 5 employees then the risk assesment doesnt have to be written down but with a job this size i am sure the company employing you will ask for one and you will look very un professional if you dont supply one.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Roger Oakley

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »
I believe you can do a mental risk assessment cant you? It doesnt have to be on paper for every job unless they ask for it.

Ricky,
I have never heard of a Mental risk assessment, maybe there is such a thing.
Might work on domestic cleaning/property.
But with this being, from what I have read, student accomadation & parking spaces, sounds like a LA will be involved somewhere so yes a H&S and Risk Ass. will need to be produced.