This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steve_massey

Ladders stolen
« on: October 26, 2003, 01:45:27 am »
How many of you have had ladders stolen? :'(

I parked my van up in the Leeds city centre at 11am on saturday in busy area and returned 2 hours later and a set of triples had gone.
I didn't have a chain on them as it was a busy road and we were working in the city. I only chain them on at night when i get home.
It's a bit of a pain if you have to chain them on every where you go.

Have any of you lot had your ladders stolen over the years ?

Rick

Re: Ladders stolen
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 02:22:17 am »
don't put a chain on your ladders, thats just gay

use swivel bars that have holes for locks in them

http://www.hookumdano.com/images/Doub470.jpg

Col

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 03:55:01 am »
I carry four ladders on my van and use 2 ladder clamps  at the back with padlocks securing the ladders and rope at front.
When working away from the van i have a recoiling bike cable that i wrap aroud the ladder that is free and padlock that.
Ladder clamps are a pain to twirl down all the time and experience has taught me that any unsecured ladder out of sight is a ladder gone,a three piece that went walkies in the space of minutes still causes me grief to this day.

karlosdaze

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 10:02:22 pm »
I carry four ladders on my van and use 2 ladder clamps  at the back with padlocks securing the ladders and rope at front.
When working away from the van i have a recoiling bike cable that i wrap aroud the ladder that is free and padlock that.
Ladder clamps are a pain to twirl down all the time and experience has taught me that any unsecured ladder out of sight is a ladder gone,a three piece that went walkies in the space of minutes still causes me grief to this day.

Thats exactly why I use the clamps, I found the bicycle lock took me a long time to thread through, and easy to snip with a cutter. Also rust off them, went on the roof & down the windows. With the clamps, my on-off time has been shortened considerably, and have the benefit of more security, not only with the ladders staying on the roof, but from thieves as well. I used to use roof pipe clamps & bungees, but apparently these are illegal as a main holder. "Not alot of people know that".

Jake

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 10:26:23 pm »
Karl

Have never heard of bungees being illegal to use!! As we use several all the time(at the moment) would be interested in more info. A mate of mine lost an eye very recently unclipping a bungee and we're thinking of going over to using straps.

regards Jake (Westclean)
Exeter, Devon

Majestic

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 10:34:28 pm »

I know it might be a bit late but did they have anything  on them, I have painted the sides of mine so if they do go missing I can easily spot them  8)

karlosdaze

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 11:28:35 pm »
I've been discussing this topic on another newsgroup lately. Bungees are really dangerous, have wording on the packet stating not to be used for car roof loads & the usual disassociation if accidents do happen. I'm sure if you ring the manufacturer, they will tell you exactly the loads they can be used for. Definately not ladders. Only a keen cop would pull you when using as your only tie down, personally I don't feel safe with them. There was a court case in the US about them springing back and taking your eye out, apparently its quite a normal occurrence.

STEVE71163

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 10:59:18 am »
Something they used to do but i have not seen lately is ladder engraving which made it pointless to steal a ladder with someone Else's company name down the sides. :D

Steve

steve_massey

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 10:00:03 pm »
I do use ladder clamps, but the problem was their were three of us working from the van all with ladders and you don't expect somebody to take your last set of the van while your it the city centre with van round the corner.    

STEVE71163

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 08:42:43 am »
A friend of mine the other day had a ladder stolen around the front of a building while he had just gone around the back :o and this was on a high street with cameras etc >:( I cant believe the front these guys have got.

Steve

STEVE71163

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 08:59:13 am »
Does anyone know of a company in Surrey/London area that do ladder engraving ???

Steve

STEVE71163

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 09:45:46 am »
Thanks,
          I will give that a try. Their used to be loads of places ;)

Steve

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 09:05:35 pm »
Hi Steve

When I was window Cleaning around London there used to be a window cleaning company called Century do you know them?
Anyway they had all there ladders engraved dont know if they can help?
I'll see if I can get there number

Cheers
Alan

STEVE71163

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 11:10:17 pm »
Cheers Alan,
                  Yes i know who you mean. I think they are part of OCS Group ??? I will give them a call and maybe they can tell me where they get them done.

Thanks again

Steve

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 12:30:10 am »
Hi Steve
How they have grown remember when they where a smaller out fit.
my dad used to work for them when he first started for a while.
I'll tell you a story about that next time I speak to you.
Cheers
Alan

T_W_CONTRACTS

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2004, 08:27:20 pm »
after years of experiance & 3 ladders stolen down the years i feel that i have now know how  to stop them going walkies

i use 4 ladder clamps & 2 very thick bike chains all interlocked together . thats 6 padlocks alltogether
i know this sounds like a pain but once they are unlocked in the morning i dont completely lock them all up again until end of the day.

the thing is if someone wants your ladders they will get them. i had a new ladder [10 days] chained on top of my van so they just took the lot roof rack as well :o.
another time i had the oldest most decrepid ladder
in the world tied on van no lock for 1hr they nicked it
wasnt worth a tenner.

my van is now like fort knocks they would have to cut them off now ......dont give them the chance you "ll be sorry.......................scumbags......................
stay safe and never take risk's

STEVE71163

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2004, 08:52:01 pm »
Better still if you get them insured at least they will get replaced  should the worst happen ;)

Steve

T_W_CONTRACTS

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2004, 09:16:24 pm »
yeh i know i lost a weeks work last tme as well
the thing is of the 3 ladders on my van now 1 of them
belongs to me and 2 to the firm i sub off .
last time they just srugged thier shoulders and got me new ones..
stay safe and never take risk's

WavieDavie

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2004, 09:29:01 pm »
Handy Hint No 437  ;)

I got a local engraving firm to do me aluminium plates to pop rivet to the ladders.

They've got our name, phone number, and the correct angle etched into them. If someone did nick them and drill out the rivets they'd have to explain why they had holes in the ladder stiles which correspond exactly with mine. I've also got the ladder ID plate from the manufacturer.

I'd tried various paints but they all end up coming off eventually.

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk