This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Is this forum on a steep decline

Yes
35.2%
31 (35.2%)
It's not what it used to be
35.2%
31 (35.2%)
Haven't noticed anything different myself
15.9%
14 (15.9%)
No
13.6%
12 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Nathanael Jones

Gone to the dogs?
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:17 pm »
Well,.. I know how I'm voting!!

Some serious moderation required here!!!

matt

Re: Gone to the dogs?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:12:42 pm »
im too lazy to vote  :P :P

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:19:12 pm »
Its always been like this

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:58 pm »

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:35:01 pm »
I've been here a year and a half.
There has been a decline, fewer people like Jeff who are very helpfull now post

In general the trad window cleaners were nicer, but I didn't think so at the time.However, the info that at one time could only be gotten off this site can now be given by almost any wc in the street. Even the trad boys have a very good knowledge.

So to a degree the reason for it's existence has lessened, and added to that an element of loutishness has come in. Ian Giles said the number of posts has grown dramaticaly which would seem to contradict what I say.

Our business has moved on, and so should we. The problem is that although some of us are up to speed and keen to talk marketing, leaflets and, hot systems and move even further forward, others aren't. My biggest gripe is people posting on topics they aren't remotely interested in and killing the thread.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 11:24:59 pm »
So the weird gay thread, the swearing and bickering, and the offers of a beating at Windex are normal then???

This is a busy forum,.. so I'll still browse,.. but I'm not going be contributing as much. This is getting beyond a joke.

TVCS

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:26:03 pm »
I have noticed a steady decline of posts from the experienced names that were here when I started.  There seems to be a lot of new  people who seem to know it all already.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

TennetClean

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:33:28 pm »
I am only just starting to enjoy it.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 11:35:21 pm »
I'm actually surprised how close the vote is! Only 50% of the members think the place is going downhill,.... I honestly thought it'd be more!

I think the place simply needs more moderators to take care of the offensive posts before they go too far. My forum isn't nearly the size of CIU, and I have the same amount of mods!

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 11:39:23 pm »
So the weird gay thread, the swearing and bickering, and the offers of a beating at Windex are normal then???

This is a busy forum,.. so I'll still browse,.. but I'm not going be contributing as much. This is getting beyond a joke.

I think all of the above help to make this forum what it is, entertaining whilst still being a fountain of knowledge. Talking about window cleaning can get boring, so its good to have some light relief, just don't take it too seriously as a lot of it is done tongue in cheek!  ;)

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:53:46 pm »
My posting has also reduced over the past few months, this place needs more Mods to help the two Mods, we know they have jobs to do this is why more Mods are needed,

I don't post as much now unless I see a post I know were I can help, i just sit in the background and watch now, sad really as this was a great place to visit get and give advice if you have the experience, I even see posts from Guy's will little or no experience trying to give advice, this can be a dangerous thing???  And to many posts go of the original Topic. Just my views.

aztec

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:57:54 pm »
all i will say is that lots of non related topics are being allowed

*Jack Johnson

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:19:58 am »
My posting has also reduced over the past few months, this place needs more Mods to help the two Mods, we know they have jobs to do this is why more Mods are needed,

I don't post as much now unless I see a post I know were I can help, i just sit in the background and watch now, sad really as this was a great place to visit get and give advice if you have the experience, I even see posts from Guy's will little or no experience trying to give advice, this can be a dangerous thing???  And to many posts go of the original Topic. Just my views.
Yet another swipe at the mods - about time this was stopped it does more harm than anything.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:53:14 am »
I'm at home cos my van is froze solid  :'( >:(

So a little more time to do some moderating 8)

I was on about 5.30am and it took close to 30 minutes to moderate just one thread of several pages long.
Over recent days I've either deleted or moved several threads.

Because the forum is now a lot busier, three are also many more inane replies on no end of threads, many seem to think it is fine to come and 'have a laff' Posting jokey one liners and so on, and by doing so it reduces the forum to a very cack handed read with people having chats in the middle of a thread.
And then there are those that write in lazy English, using 'txt spk' It looks so, so amateurish.
I'm not talking about those who struggle with spelling and so on, we all do that occasionally, but those that just can't be bothered to write and spell properly.
And then there is the continual swearing.
Maybe I'm getting jaded as a mod, but I'm now not bothering to edit the word out, I just delete the post, and it is no good putting in asterisks or a funny spelling, it now gets deleted.
~you have to tap in each letter of a swearword, you have to think about what you are doing, you aren't in a pub just blurting something out without even being aware of what you are saying.

The more I see of this kind of thread, the more inclined I am to take a much harder line, although if those of you that read a thread and are annoyed that it is being spoiled or taken in a new direction were to click on the report to moderator button, it would help a great deal.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:08:23 am »
Ian,
   I've great respect for the Mod's here,.... but I've been saying for a while now that you need some help. IMO its too much for such a small staff to handle. Admin needs to sort out MORE MODERATORS!!!

geefree

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 09:54:27 am »

I think all of the above help to make this forum what it is, entertaining whilst still being a fountain of knowledge. Talking about window cleaning can get boring, so its good to have some light relief, just don't take it too seriously as a lot of it is done tongue in cheek!  ;)

i dont take things too sereously, but tongue in cheek comments are fine to a degree, when it turns to threats and hate mail it can put a lot of people off voicing a logical opinion,

also, im not being a prude or a killjoy when i say this, but it is a "window cleaning issues" forum,

and there are other sections available to talk about other things ..

non cleaning topics

place to chat

i dont get involved in any slanging matches but i do read them all, and some could be moved to other places in my view.

Gary.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 10:03:42 am »
Ian,
   I've great respect for the Mod's here,.... but I've been saying for a while now that you need some help. IMO its too much for such a small staff to handle. Admin needs to sort out MORE MODERATORS!!!
I agree with that, but respect to the guys that are doing the moderating at the moment.

Ian

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 10:24:26 am »
A very useful tool when used properly. I don't belong to an association these days as get all the help I need here. Am also able to contribute.

One problem I have noticed is that it's very easy to be misunderstood. I guess that's one problem with the written word over the spoken. That has put me off posting my opinion and has made me more careful to stick to factual points.

Peter 
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

geefree

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 10:35:17 am »
A very useful tool when used properly. I don't belong to an association these days as get all the help I need here. Am also able to contribute.

One problem I have noticed is that it's very easy to be misunderstood. I guess that's one problem with the written word over the spoken. That has put me off posting my opinion and has made me more careful to stick to factual points.

Peter

i agree, text on mobile phones sometimes comes over as harsh or can be easily interpretated wrongly...

exactly the same can be said here.

Gary.

jikwan

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 11:06:32 am »
needs to tighten up a bit
i nominate nat jones as moderator
he has a fine track record on the irish forum
a real enthusiast  lots of energy
his contribution has been awesome
ask him nicely he'd help
Zen is the art of seeing everything.....noticing nothing