Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1966

inline heaters
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:08:28 pm »
 After using a portable with a immertion type heater for years, I used my powerflite with cold water and the inline heater.With my old machine with a thermostat I new exactly how hot the water was.Too me it did'nt seem to get   very hot, what temp would expect to get with cold water in the tank running the inline heater?

markpowell

Re: inline heaters
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
I used to use a powermax with 3kw in-line heater and when i put cold water in, the heat of the solution at the wand was not very good at all infact i would say a waste of time.
Mark

carpet guy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:01:56 pm »
The only way water would heat adequately from cold, would be if using a low psi setting otherwise you are asking too much, pushing water through a short coil at speed.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 06:11:19 pm »
If you put warm water in to start with the heat is not too bad but personally I think like all things in carpet cleaning  they are over hyped.

I think what happens is when you go for a demo they have machines heating up before you get there.

carpet guy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:17:29 pm »
With already hot tap water in the tank an inline heater can give heat to equal or surpass some T/M's

rob

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:43:57 pm »
I have used a CFR500 Pro (powerflite) and the inline heater gets the water hot enough to lift chewing gum using a CFR hand tool at about 200 psi. Hot enough to soften chew gum with the Wonderwand at 500psi.
OK - would have put warm water into tank for starters (warm but not too hot - not good for pum p IMO).
The CFR500 not only has an inline heater but the solution copper pipe wraps around the 2 vac motors to benefit from the heart produced there and going to waste.
My CFR is up for sale if anyone interested.

FiberReviver

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 08:08:55 pm »
Hi I use the 400psi Ninja built in inline  heater but my solution tank also has an emmersion heater in so this setup gives really hot water infact steam if you work at lower pressures that's if you really want that much heat I DON'T THINK SO well maybe shi*** pub and restaurant carpets ;D ;D ;D ;D :o Freddie
WELL I NEVER !!!! WELL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE

AJB

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:32:12 pm »
Stone cold water in tank, i get approx 45 c at wonderwand, at 250 psi.
This is continuous spraying. Once the vac motors are at full heat it might be
5 - 10 c higher.
Tap hot water in tank, consistantly 80 c + at wand.
Check if your perfectheat valve is open or closed. If closed you lose the benefit
of the vac motor heat.
The Ninja does not run both heaters at same time, so if immersion running, exchanger is not,
this is why it has a dual pole dual throw switch. (DPDT).
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

FiberReviver

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:42:51 pm »
ERRRRRR DID ANYONE SAY THEY RAN TOGETHER the emmersion heats the water in the solution tank THAT MEANS THE WATER IS NICE AND HOT  ready for when you use the inline heater YES??? YOU UNDERSTAND??? NOW
WELL I NEVER !!!! WELL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:04:33 pm »
Have yet to find any cc machine including tm that can lift gum effectively.

Copper pipe rap around old tech used it for Lucas pump, changed it for a Bosch

Why do you need hot water/steam?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

AJB

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:19:29 pm »
I know the heaters do not run together, but whilst the immersion runs you are
either waiting for it to heat up, or cleaning with cool water.
If on a Powrflite or other heat exchange machine, you want the tank warmed up
then run water through the exchanger and a short pipe from the outlet, back into the tank, this means your immersion heater
is superfluous, and just added to the cost of the machine.  The older Ninjas had a bypass valve, to do this. Ashbys don't like the
tank too hot, which is why they removed this feature.
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Jason Hedges

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:31:46 pm »
I thought everyone used cold water now :o

Oh no my mistake, thats on another forum ;D

AJB

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 11:43:30 pm »
On the very few occasions that for various reasons i've used cold water, the results
were carp!.
I'm afraid after 13 years of using as much heat as i can generate, cold just seems wrong.
I tested Mpower hot and cold, and hot is definately better.

PS probably get drummed off you know where now.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:00:43 am »
Before i had a t/m my last porty was a 500psi eclipse without heat. Had to rely on custys hot water.

Problem was when they didnt have any or on end of tanancys without electric (had a generator on the van to run equipment).

I had to take a few risks using over strength mixtures to get a clean i was happy with using cold water, it took longer giving aditional dwell time and more passes and sometimes needing 2 or 3 cleans.

Before the eclipse i had a machine with heater elements in tank. I would get to job, get machine out of van, fill it and let it heat up while vaccing and prespraying so it was boiling by rinse time.

Had a prochem heat and run on first machine, waste of time using cold water unless you're waiting 30 seconds between passes.

In my opinion inline heaters are a waste of time unless you've already got warm / hot water and use it for a bit of a boost.

If you want hot water buy a t/m or a porty with an in tank heater. With the latter be prepared to have a tea break or two on bigger jobs while water heats right up.

All the best,
Jason.

AJB

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 12:16:38 am »
Jason the heat exchanger on the Powrflite machines is very good.
It's only a 2Kw model but with the perfect heat system, it does generate
quite a bit of heat.
My first machine had a 3Kw immersion heater, with the fixed thermo altered
to reach 95 c in the tank. This meant at the start of the job going very slowly.
At the end flying.
45 c with cold water is through 60 ft of hide a hose, which does cool the solution
pipe a bit, 30 ft of hose (the norm') is noticably hotter. but i'm not anal enough
to bother measuring temps.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 01:00:00 am »
I've heard the heat exchanger system on the cfr machines are good.

To be honest having steaming hot water is preferable but for most domestic jobs just warm will do provided you use correct solutions at a dilution rate that suits and use agitation if needed.

If i had to use cold water with a porty i'd rather pre-spray (using possibly stronger dilution rates), let dwell then agitate before rinsing.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat, or clean a carpet without heat ;)

Jason Hedges

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 01:07:00 am »
Just a quick note ajb,

Not wanting to sound undermining. I cant understand why people use hide a hose especially through the entire hose length, the air travelling through the vac hose cools the solution in the solution line so much you're fighting a losing battle. Not so bad through hand / upholstery tools.

Use the old fashioned 2 seperate apart hoses, solution line doesn't restrict the vac hose and vac hose doesn't cool the solution line. Best of both worlds.

Just a thought.

All the best,
Jason.

Joe H

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 06:46:32 am »

Sorry to disappoint you Jason.....
not all those who frequent Clean Talk are total cold water users.
"We" (whoever the "we" are), just like you I suspect, know that if heat is not available there are certain cleaning fluids which are better with cold water then other cleaning fluids with cold water.
but lets not start silly debates eh!

and inline heaters v in tank heater.
there must be very good reasons why its a disadvantage to have an in tank heater producing wter at very hot levels ie damage to pump.

and yes the CFR500 Perfect Heat has an in line heater that produces really hot water very quickly - no doubt better if you can have a supply of heated water from customers tap - stands to reason.

nevil

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 09:02:49 am »
Those of you that are saying the water pressure has a baring on the effectiveness of inline heater are not quite on the right track. The rate of water flow through system is the important factor.

Half the flow double the temperature rise. or you could say that the flow and the temperature rise are inversly porportional. 8)

As a rough guide if a flow of 4 litre/minute through the heater raises the temperature by 10 degrees.
Then to get a bigger temerature rise eg 20 degrees it stands to reason that you would have to half the flow.

It's all in the jets.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 09:20:05 am »
Sorry to disappoint you Jason.....
not all those who frequent Clean Talk are total cold water users.
"We" (whoever the "we" are), just like you I suspect, know that if heat is not available there are certain cleaning fluids which are better with cold water then other cleaning fluids with cold water.
but lets not start silly debates eh!

Morning Joe,

It was a bit of banter mate only joking ;D. Yes lets definately not start another debate ;).

I had one pump go in 2 years on a machine with in  tank heater that would boil the water, it had a flojet pump and the heat didnt bother it (perhaps i was just lucky).