This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paula

Police Checks for cleaners?
« on: December 01, 2004, 08:38:26 pm »
Do you know how this works and how much you have to pay to get potential employees checked out?

adl

Re: Police Checks for cleaners?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 08:42:12 pm »
Police checks are carried out by the police it usually takes upto 6 weeks to carry them out depending on the force.

They are full background checks on employees whome are working with childre old people vunrable people i.e People with learning disabillities.

Contact your local force who have a dedicated officer in this department whome will send you the relevent information

regards Dave ADL

eclipse

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 09:14:33 pm »
I had to have police clearence for when i was doing fire & flood restoration for a major franchise i think the form is called a "section 7 data protection access" which if i remember cost me £10
the phone number for the National identification service iwho are baesd at new scotland yard is  020 7230 2958

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 09:17:51 pm »
hi there

yes the easiest is the self check, it costs £10 and the person presents themselves to the station to get the report.  if i remember correctly it takes 28 days.

however two drawbacks, only upto date to the date of the application, and also as long as the person is using a legitimate id  ie they are who they say they are,

regards

martin

Paula

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 11:33:22 pm »
Is something thta any of you guys do for your cleaners?

Done 'n' Dusted

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 08:37:03 am »
Hi Paula!

It isn't as simple as some of the guys above have posted. I have registered my business to carry out Enhanced Police Disclosure checks. It is a long process, having been 4 months so far from the first instance of me contacting the relevant authorities, but here is what you will need to do:-

1. Contact the Criminal Reference Bureau (www.crb.gov.uk) and ask for an application to register with them with a view to carry out Police Disclosure checks (there are standard disclosures and enhanced disclosures...I have registered for enhanced disclosures and my cleaners are likely to be in contact with vulnerable people, eg elderly, disabled etc). The registration fee is £300.00 (pick yourself up off the floor now!!)

2. They will send you the form, complete it thoroughly (I didn't, missed one question, but it was weeks before the app form was returned to me), and return it with your payment.

3. They will assess whether they are happy to accept you and you will then be registered with the CRB, they will send you confirmation of this.

4. Then they will send you details on how to apply for Police Disclosure checks (Enhanced checks cost £33.00 per person each time you apply for one).

I haven't received details on how to apply for the checks yet, but I am not in any hurry, so I will contct them as and when I need to........bear in mind if you chase them up things tend to get done a bit quicker (as with all governmental depts, in my experience)

It is an expensive and laborious process but I feel worth it if it gives clients peace of mind.......... ;D
It ain't clean till it's Done 'n' Dusted!

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 02:12:13 pm »
hi there,

the CRB and the police self check are two different things.   most clients will be satisfied with the self check. the CRB checks are required, when you have staff working in environments such as nursing homes, schools etc.,  where cleaning staff are on premises and in potential contact with those groups of people.

the other form of checking is where you are working airside, and on MOD contractor sites, in those cases clients require a 10 year check, and that can take 3 months.

regards

martin

Clean 'n' Tidy

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 05:51:05 pm »
hi there,

I have looked into doing CRB checks on people and have been told that you do not have to register yourself. You can if you want go onto their website (www.crb.gov.uk) and find a company that is already register and apply through them. This then saves you the £300 and you will then only have to pay £33 for each check.

Rgds
Kim

Done 'n' Dusted

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 04:32:34 pm »
Hmmm! I find this a strange way of approaching it Kim, as in fact you do not work for or are any part of the company you are applying through, and also then your company is not registered at all. I am not sure I would want to employ someone to clean my house or whatefver if they were'n't willing to register their own company with the CRB, but then I secured a grant to pay for my registration so I can't complain really!! ;D

Clean 'n' Tidy

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 06:31:35 pm »
It's not that I am not willing to register, it is just that I can not afford £300+. By the way what grant did you apply for and where did you get it from. This could be away forward for me.

cheers
Kim

Done 'n' Dusted

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 08:35:24 pm »
I agree it is a lot of money to fork out especially when you haven't got a lot of money to start up with. I was extremely lucky......I was unemployed and claiming job seekers allowance. It was via the Jobcentre that I was put on a course to help me start up in business, I got a grant from the training company I went on the course with, but more importantly the £300.00 was from the Jobcentre itself. Each Jobseeker Advisor it entitled to apply for an Advisor's Discretion Allowance for.........my Jobcentre Advisor put me forward as he agreed that the CRB registration was a good idea, and I use it as my Unique Selling Point when promoting my business. You have to be registered as claiming for Jobseekers Allowance to be entitled to apply, I'm afraid!  :)

Clean 'n' Tidy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 04:46:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I think why the person on the phone at the CRB place told me that I could applyn though someelse was to make it cheaper for me, as I am only a small busimess.
Kim