This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

There is just no perfect brush?!
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:58:22 am »
I've been reading threads on this forum all night, some people swear by the new Ionics brushes, and hate Vikans, and some loathe the Ionics, say they wear really easily, and praise Vikans.

Some say the Facelift brush is the best, but almost all pro companies say that their poles are great, but the brushes rubbish.

Some say the Cleantech yellow brushes are fantastic, but then again, being flocked isn't exactly the best brush for rinse on.

Then a Bentley, which is very light, some say it lasts ages, some say it's gone very quickly.

Salmon brush, most people like it, but wears very quickly, and some say they've been using it for over a year. No problem.

Now my question for you guys is : What the heck? How is it possible to have so many conflicting reports, I really got fedup with this, and got the rectangular monofilament Vikan. Most people think it's okay for an allround brush, despite being on the heavy side. Read a couple of threads on the Ionics multipole brush, they loved it. Read two more threads and people say it's awful. Makes me want to pull my hair out. Not easy starting up wfp with all this contradicting info floating about.  :)

It is just too confusing.

Kev R

Re: There is just no perfect brush?!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:18:55 am »
I have been cleaning windows commercially mainly but domestically also for some time. We have found the best long lasting all round brush to be the monofilament HI-Lo from Vikan. We have tried loads but notice I said we were a commercial firm. IMHO These brushes will out last most of the others and when connected to a good quality wfp like the X-Tel Hybrids (stiff and Light and a Hardwearing pole) and be a pleasure to use. If you attempted to attach the HI-LO to an inferior pole or a toy fishing rod it does seem heavy as the poles are either too delicate of flexible. If its added to a glass fibre pole it will make an already heavy pole heavier.

To be honest my friend If your considering wfp as a means to make good money and not be a DIY experimental enterprise buy something that will do the job efficiently and last thus you will make money with no equipment problems.

Try a few brushes but next time you phone a supplier ask them what the best selling wfp brush is? Most (In my experience)  will tell you their best selling brushes are the Vikan rectangular or the Hi-lo.  ;)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:41:56 am »
Toy fishing rod?
I take exception to that, the latest versions of modular carbon fibre are anything but. Rigid, strong and the lightest poles on the market.
I use the Bentley brush as supplied by Gardiners, who cares if it only lasts 5 or 6 months?? If I were still trad I'd be spending more than that on replacement rubbers.

At under £20.00 a pop it's peanuts.
For repeat clean work it is a terrific brush.
On heavily soiled work there are better brushes, something like the Ionic brush is good on work of this nature as the bristles are far more floppy and there are far more bristles per square inch, ergo it isn't just the bristle tips that clean the glass, but all of the bristles, therefore you need to scrub less with a brush like this.
Brushes are so subjective - as you have so obviously noted! - The weight of the brush for me is the most important thing, ditto the pole, the more you can reduce the strain on your body the better.
WFP may be safer, but the effects on your body from using a pole day in, day out are cumulative, you may be young, strong and fit, but it makes a great deal of sense to reduce the wear and tear on your body as best you can.

The difference in the weight between a light brush and a heavier brush may not feel much in your hand, just a few grams difference, but at the end of a 30ft pole (whether a light pole or a heavy pole) when you are fully stretched over a big conservatory for instance, then it really makes a difference.

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:10:22 am »
Its all personal choice some like the feel of a certain brush some the weight others the ability to rinse on its the same with poles jets and even trad equipment its what you feel like working with the equipment sometimes its a matter of trial and error till you get what works for you
All advice while gratefully received is from the viewpoint of the giver and needs to be adapted to your own individual tastes

Dean

Kev R

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:30:31 am »
Toy fishing rod?
I take exception to that, the latest versions of modular carbon fibre are anything but. Rigid, strong and the lightest poles on the market.

Ian

But stick together  ;) LOL

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:49:39 pm »
Hm, I guess I can be happy with my rectangular Vikan then I suppose. I will buy an Ionics multipole brush, just to see how that one works. :)

Kev R

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:25:40 pm »
Hm, I guess I can be happy with my rectangular Vikan then I suppose. I will buy an Ionics multipole brush, just to see how that one works. :)

If your doing a lot of domestic work also try a hi-lo from vikan. Have fun  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:38:16 pm »

It's splayed isn't it?

clean

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 02:43:53 pm »

It's splayed isn't it?

You can get the Hi-Low sill brush with monofilament bristles from Varitech  ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »
You will also notice that there is no perfect pole either. One mans meat is another mans poison. You will also find that what brush you thought was brilliant yesterday you will never touch again tomorrow.
 I started with a Vikan sill brush and thought it was the bees knees - now i won't touch it. I thought the Gaz hygene brush was good - don't use it. I thought the Bentley was brilliant but actually prefer an Addis soft brush now. I thought an extender pole was crap and still do. I thought a fibreglass x-l was dreadfull and still do.
I thought the Superlight 2 was absolutely brilliant - i think it is a very good pole.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »
Haha, sounds like a very interesting couple of months for me then. I already don't like my X-tel, far too whippy, and I haven't even started yet, and I'm already looking forward to the SL-X. D'oh!  ;)

aztec

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
i have tried numerous brushes and bt far the best has to be the tucker brush

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:45 pm »
G.Q.C

could you let me no how you got on whith Ionics multipole brush.

jerry

NWH

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 05:19:50 pm »
I have the perfect brush for modulars especially but works superbly on any other pole,it`s a 9" salmon but the grade of bristles it has are not made anymore.I use the cleantech brush on downstairs work and that little brush on almost everything else,i`ve seen the bristles of the new brush Alex has coming out in a few weeks and it will probobly go on all my poles,saying that the new SLX pole will be the ultimate pole for up and down work on all houses so changing brushes all the time should be a thing of the past.

NWH

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 05:24:13 pm »
The ionics brush is designed to be used with hot water and it is,the heat from the water softens the bristles therefore improving it 10 fold,using it with cold water is a different story it`s stiff and can be quiet hard work to use.The Vikan mono oval brush at the moment seems to be coming out with softer bristles,it`s also lighter than the square version quiet a bit i thought although the shape lets it down a bit.

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 06:02:21 pm »
NWH

tx for the info

jerry

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:22 pm »
The ionics brush is designed to be used with hot water and it is,the heat from the water softens the bristles therefore improving it 10 fold,using it with cold water is a different story it`s stiff and can be quiet hard work to use.The Vikan mono oval brush at the moment seems to be coming out with softer bristles,it`s also lighter than the square version quiet a bit i thought although the shape lets it down a bit.

Is it? Because they sell the poles to everyone, and only a small portion of wfp'ers go with a hot system. Both the multipole and DT brush both use Dupont 66 nylon?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 06:26:47 pm »
Never will be a perfect brush, we all have different type of work
- Cill brush does tricks  :)

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »
Didn't Jeff1 want to clean in the dark?

dai

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 09:54:50 pm »
Is that a camera? good idea, WFP without missing the perks of being trad. Dai