This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

Window Cleaner In Fall
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »
Had a phone call today from the press about a window cleaner that fell in Edinburgh. The SLWCN was asked to comment and stated the conditions of the licence is that we have to adhere to HSE laws. Hence we have to do a risk assesment before doing the job and that there are new tools in the trade that help overcome the obstacles we face.

The main point I was trying to stress is wfp is a tool for the job and customers need to start accepting it and not wanting to risk window cleaners lives by asking windows to be done that are a risk hazard. Unfortuntely the reporter has got the description wrong slightly.

A great shame another fellow window cleaner in our industry is injured. The SLWCN will do it's best in getting HSE issues through to the members of the public. We are currently doing other press articles which I hope we can get the message accross.

My thoughts go out to the injured window cleaner and his family, I just hope he was insured.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Window-cleaner-cheats-death.3684562.jp

jampot

Re: Window Cleaner In Fall
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:36 pm »
may thoughts go out to  :)

easy

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:21 pm »
Again my thoughts go out to the window cleaner and his family too..... :(

An ambulance outside the flat on Dalkeith Road after the fall.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »
Not a nice incident and again another reason to take H&S seriously.......................

I hope he makes a full recovery soon.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

williamx

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:15:39 pm »

My thoughts go out to the injured window cleaner and his family, I just hope he was insured.

I was speaking to one of my customers yesterday, its the first time that I have seen her ( only been cleaning her windows for the last 2 years) anyway before I started cleaning her windows, she had a window cleaner who used ladders who tried to sue her because he fell off his ladder and broke his back.

He fell while trying to clean a window above a sloping roof, his insurance would not pay out so he tried to sue her instead, her insurance refused to pay because he should not have been using ladders to clean this window which was above a sloping roof, he instead should have used an alternative method accordingly to them.

So for all those window cleaners who are paying for insurance, I would check whether they will pay out if you did have an accident, and for those who think they can hold the customer responsable, then you will need at least a written order that you are to use ladders. 

david68

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 05:50:25 pm »
Hope he recovers.
We use WFP but some times ladders are used.
My partner takes the mick out of me, when using ladders because how careful i am...eg ladders stop ladder biscuits ect.
Wher he runs up ladder without thinking and none caring.

I will post this link to him...

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Col

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 12:29:16 am »
Just a follow up to the story.Whilst i don't know the guy involved to me reaching your sixties and having your first bad fall does not spell the end of ladders for window cleaning. This man started cleaning windows before squeegies never mind wfp and the thought of trailing hoses through a common stair while leaving your van on a no stopping road just aint possible unless you work sunday mornings.
My thoughts go out to him and i wish him a speedy recovery which is more than i wish on the wonderful Edinburgh parking attendants and the posters under the story.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Cleaner-in-horror-fall-landed.3687734.jp

p.s.
D.A. Services do you provide a risk assesment for every private customer?

choice.clean

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 04:48:38 am »
inotice that a window cleaner died in huddersfield this week too. sorry but not good at putting in link try a search

DASERVICES

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 10:18:14 am »

p.s.
D.A. Services do you provide a risk assesment for every private customer?

Yes, and this is a daily process as customers are always putting new obstacles in your way. I do it for wfp and ladders.

Looking at the comments from the public just goes to show the public perception of window cleaners. If this was another person there would be outrage.

Poor chap looks like his career has ended which is a great shame.