Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Kelly

Re: prowler users
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »
What size blower is it Mike? Could be the size and speed which is causing the flapping about. The Prowler small 24 blower has modified gearing and runs at 8000 revs a minute.

As regards using a Dispatch, can be done but you are really restricted for space once all the hoses, chems etc are in. No room for a porty.
I also liken vans to garden sheds, never big enough.

Mike are you still having this get together? I was hoping to get one of the new Prowlers over to bring down.

mark_roberts

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:49 pm »
Ken

Sounds a right mess.  The best thing about a TM is the water tank under the machine and the waste tank behind the machine so its nice and compact and a hose reel is essential.

Could you not get a frame made to set the machine on top of the tanks or even the reel to save floor space.

How do you manage with the electric cords.  I always fancied a look at this setup but few have the complete package.

Mark

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 07:30:02 pm »
Hi Mark

Yes, there is a frame available to mount the tanks one above the other.  I did consider it, and it would release a bit more floor space, but ideally I want my Dry Fusion bucket onboard as well as a hose reel. Any compromise would still make for a difficult life. So I've taken the tanks out and working as a portable 'till I buy a new, larger, van.

Safe and happy loading :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

davep

John Kelly

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »
6 litre tanks lasts about 4 hours.

mark shannon

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 08:11:48 pm »
How would that compare with petrol usage on an entry level truckmount?

carpet guy

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 08:28:41 pm »
Gary ( cleaning co ) used a little Diahatsu van, same size as the little Suzuki I use and not only had two high powered portable inside, but a 250 litre water tank, hoses wands, etc, and you will see there is still a fair bit of space at the back.

page 102 Jan 2006

those little vans, have a great deal going for them and capable of more than you'd expect.

garyj

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 12:05:16 am »
How many people actually dump their waste water from their porty down customers toilet or foul drain not many.There was a thread on here sometime ago about dumping waste water and the majority dumped in the flower bed or on the lawn.

Found that hard to believe so searched it and came up with nothing. Do a majority of carpet cleaners dump the sludge in there customers gardens. Someone please tell me the answer is no.

Causing pollution from trade affluent is against the law, the fine is £20,000 or 3 months in prison.

It's a pretty serious issue.

I'm not being argumentative but am very surprised that this isn't being discussed. If you were to reply to the Environment Agency "it's ok, my mates do it as well" the whole industry would be looked at. If there are any carpet cleaners dumping affluent waste into there customers gardens I'd check the legalities if I was you.

The problem with the Prowler is not only are you dumping into a garden, but advertising the fact with hoses running off into flower beds, under cars and down the street and with steam just in case nobody notices.

At a time when so many are pressing forward with 'going green' this dumping method is just plain wrong.

Why is this fundemental issue being ignored?

robert stubbs

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 12:37:19 am »
This is cleaning co's van

carpet guy

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 12:40:59 am »
The reason for dumping soil laden water on grassed or garden areas is to allow it to filter through the ground before reaching the drains.

It's a local authority requirement in some areas, but don't ask which ones.

carpet guy

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 12:48:43 am »
The Prowler, incidentally, doesn't dump a volume of water, it exhausts water vapour into the atmosphere, the solids are captured in a filter.

Well done Robert 'fraid I don't know how to do that.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 07:32:24 am »
So where do TM users with waste tanks dump their water at the end of the day????

stevegunn

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 07:39:36 am »
How many people actually dump their waste water from their porty down customers toilet or foul drain not many.There was a thread on here sometime ago about dumping waste water and the majority dumped in the flower bed or on the lawn.

Found that hard to believe so searched it and came up with nothing. Do a majority of carpet cleaners dump the sludge in there customers gardens. Someone please tell me the answer is no.

Causing pollution from trade affluent is against the law, the fine is £20,000 or 3 months in prison.

It's a pretty serious issue.

I'm not being argumentative but am very surprised that this isn't being discussed. If you were to reply to the Environment Agency "it's ok, my mates do it as well" the whole industry would be looked at. If there are any carpet cleaners dumping affluent waste into there customers gardens I'd check the legalities if I was you.

The problem with the Prowler is not only are you dumping into a garden, but advertising the fact with hoses running off into flower beds, under cars and down the street and with steam just in case nobody notices.

At a time when so many are pressing forward with 'going green' this dumping method is just plain wrong.

Why is this fundemental issue being ignored?

Dumping waste water has been covered on all the forums over the years so maybe it was not this one.There was a thread sometime ago about dead grass which covered dumping in the grass.

Did find this by Dave Lee from this forum

"I doubt by the time any dirty water from a carpet cleaning machine, dumped on grassland away from the places I mentioned, reaches the water course, would be any danger to anything as it would be thoroughly broken down and filtered by the earths minerals, as it does with all deposit matter. This is is why the environment officer gave his advice, and his attitude was that he considers the quantities we deal with to be insignificant."

Each enviromental officer I spoke to gave different advice.When cleaning wheelie bins we were followed all day by enviromental health who said as long as no rubbish is left on the road no problem,now I think the waste water from washing out someones dirty bin on the road is more of a risk.Washing your car in the street is ok as long as its not for business now how much waste water goes down the storm drains on a Sunday morning up and down the country.We need to be sensible about this if a sewer drain is accesible I use it if not flower bed does.

carpetworx

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 07:45:25 am »
Hi Ian
Prowler sounds like a good investment,is the heat continuose when you're wanding for say half an hour
non stop,? I mean at the nozzle end.
Do you really need a water tank?,i thought it just conected to the tap.

carpet guy

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 07:52:14 am »
What's the panic about Gary and what exactly are you trying to say ? The subject has been debated on here on more than one occasion and the post from Steve gives an accurate account of the outcome.

garyj

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 11:57:01 am »
No panic from me whatsoever and not trying to say anything. Never seen it debated on here, and as you've replied to Steve's answer 8 mins after he left it, I hadn't been given time to accept what he has stated. Even he has said he gets a different answer from EH each time.

I only brought it up because of an issue I had a few years ago with car cleaning and it seemed totally at odds from what I was told then by Environmental Health.

John Kelly

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:46 pm »
It is perfectly legal to discharge a small amount of waste water to ground as long as you are not within 50 metres of a water course. The Prowler is supplied with a 50' waste hose which enables you to reach most foul drains on the property. If you want to you can also collect the small amount of waste water in a suitable container and dispose of later.

Fred Gullan

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 07:01:19 pm »
Been using a  Prowler in the Edinburgh area for six months or so and never had a problem or a negative comment about the discharge, which is mostly steam. I have only used the 50 ft discharge hose to a foul drain once in  the beginning , now just a short length at the kerb next to the van works fine ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »
john it's a 58 (or 59 can't remember exactly)  turning at 1750prm. it does push out alot of air.

I'm planning a carpet cleaners day out for probably the end of March, cleaning an 8 room motel at the end of the road, I'll post details in the next week or so.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:54 pm »
19th to 27th I'm away so please don't do it then as I want to come!

Shaun