This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Who knows the answer
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:11:59 pm »
I have been back washing with pure water as tds is sky high out of tap.
I have 2 pumps but only used one for back washing, would it be better to add a link 2 second pump to back wash with more power of will it bugger up the 40inch ro ?
forgot to say have to 100psi pumps

does any one know the answer ?

Wayne Thomas

Re: Who knows the answer New
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:54:20 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by backwashing Ian.
I have 4040 RO and reject 50% of waste on a permanent basis. Obviously this is slower to fill a tank than rejecting 20% but will prolong the life of the membrane as less impurities are being captured in the 4040.
I use a clarke booster pump connected to RO so TDS out is reduced/lower because the inlet pressure forcing the water through is higher than mains pressure alone.
Pushing 2 x 100psi pumps through your R/O won't harm it as the R/O will accept a maximum of 225psi.

brightnclean

Re: Who knows the answer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 08:02:20 pm »
You don't need to backwash a 40 inch RO Ian.

Just flush it regularly. I do mine for 5 to 10 mins every time I fill. If you are in a really hard water area you would do better by getting a softening filter. That gets rid of the calcium in the water before it goes through the RO. It's the calcium deposits that can build up in ur membrane and cause early failure. Flushing will keep it at bay though but a softener will get you better TDS out as well.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:18:04 pm »
If you decide to use a water softener because you're in a hard water area then have it plumbed in to the house so you can use it for your washing machine and kettle, etc to prolong the life of equipment.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:54:38 pm »
any iodeas on the best one to get, I am moving as soon as house sells I am plumb it in no probs and remove.

Can I install one outside after tap?

I know nothing about softners at all.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:08:28 pm »
Hi Ian,
you can install water softener outside after tap if you want.
Try this site: www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Purolite_water_softener_resin_and_Salt.html 

alanwilson

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:53 pm »
2 x 100psi pumps still equals 100psi.

10 x 100psi pumps still equals 100psi.

wouldn't change the pressure only double the flow rate.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!