This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Glen

egg removal
« on: November 13, 2004, 10:45:22 pm »
I've been asked to clean a single storey police stations windows which have  been pelted with eggs.

What is the best way to get egg off?
How much should I charge per window?

pjulk

Re: egg removal
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 11:05:57 pm »
Wet and use a scraper to scrape most of it off i also use a green abrasive pad to get the rest off then wash as normal.

You may have to change the water a couple of time's if there is a lot of egg's as it make's the water go flat.( No suds )

i would charge double you normal rate as it will take twice the ammount of time if it has not been on to long.

If it's been on more than a day i would charge triple as it can be pretty time consuming.

I hate cleaning eggs off it the smell i can't stand

Paul

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 09:17:31 am »
Yuck! Horrible job!!

Depending how bad it is, each window could take you 15 minutes to clean.
Roughly agree with Paul about method, though I tend to spray the windows first with solution to save the water going off to fast in the bucket and to try and not get the applicator to mucked up too.

I use an Unger 4 inch knife, these fold back on themselves and can be clipped into most squeegee handles, a must if you have a lot of knifing off to do.

The stink is awful from eggs and all your stuff has to be washed out afterwards.

I would most certainly treble the price you charge for each window you have to get egg off.

Rather you than me dude! 8)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

tightswerve

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 10:26:18 am »
My local police station had all its toilet seats stolen...?  ???

The local bobby said they had nothing to go on...!  ;D

WavieDavie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 12:32:39 pm »
Wet and use a scraper to scrape most of it off i also use a green abrasive pad to get the rest off then wash as normal.

Please ask your supplier for WHITE scotchbrite - it's designed not to scratch glass. There's a good chance that if you're giving a real scrub with the green stuff, you'll end up leaving scratches. Ask me how I know that!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 03:31:56 pm »
There's a good chance that if you're giving a real scrub with the green stuff, you'll end up leaving scratches. Ask me how I know that!

I have never had a problem with scratch's from the green pads and some applicator sleeves has a small green piece on the end.

Maybe it would be just a matter of time before i do.
Still the white pads are also good

mark f

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 03:59:41 pm »
yeh was going to say abrasive pads are a nooooooooooo, Try those other ones instead.

Glen

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 12:04:50 am »
I've ordered the white scotchbrite but what about detergent. What is the best non-abrasive detergent for getting egg off glass?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 08:37:16 am »
Hi Guys,

You could try pre spraying with a biological washing liquid (diluted) or an enzyme based washing prespray.

The reason egg sticks so well is the protein bond from the albumen(white bit).Enzymes will break the protein bond.

Cheers,

Doug

WavieDavie

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 07:08:01 pm »
You could try pre spraying with a biological washing liquid (diluted) or an enzyme based washing prespray.

Oooh, that sounds hi-tech!  ;)
I'd use your scraper to get most of the egg off, and your normal solution just to lubricate the blade. The protein will kill off any suds in your bucket fairly quickly so you might want to leave the eggy window till last, before renewing the water and rinsing the egg off any pads or applicators, ready for the next job.

As Ian says, you should treble the normal price - but I think you should only give the kids 20% of that as commission.

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Doug Holloway

poleman

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 08:04:14 pm »
TIP OF THE DAY

When cleaning eggs of a window never use hot water use cold, think about it you use heat to make it go harder.

Andy
PS good joke by the way ;D

Glen

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 11:27:33 pm »
Doug,

What dilution ratio of washing liquid shall I use?

Thanks for the advice,

Glen