This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dean Aspects

Hot water system
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:35:54 pm »
Can anyone give advise on how to set up a hot water system either one from diesel/lpg/gas or even an electric one if this is possible and is it after the di but before the pump/varistream
A flow diagram would be helpful
And before anyone gets on their high horse safety is of importance to me so i will be testing the set up before it goes into the van
Any help would be great

Dean

NWH

Re: Hot water system
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »
Buy a self install one,about 2k or 2.5 fitted.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:01:15 pm »
NWH is right.
There are running costs to be considered. LPG on demand £5 pw, diesel to tank £6pd.

edd

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:50:45 pm »
red diesel that we use i 38 pence per litre   or kerosene is 32 ppl and 4 litres a day is not
that much of an expense really is it and a grand for a webasto diesel is worth not having
cold hands and a stiff pipe!! ;D ;D

danny taylor

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:20:27 am »
Just use a typical Carpet cleaning heater like the type you get from kiko. We use Ionics "thermopure" and its no better. Cos it has a reduced flow and doesnt get very hot. The only reason I dont complain is that it is a unique selling point and we clean all windows cold any way.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 12:42:16 am »
red diesel that we use i 38 pence per litre   or kerosene is 32 ppl and 4 litres a day is not
that much of an expense really is it and a grand for a webasto diesel is worth not having
cold hands and a stiff pipe!! ;D ;D
V8edd, where can I get this from, be nice to have it even if i dont need to use it, also is it easy to install ?

stevekennedy

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:40:18 am »
Just use a typical Carpet cleaning heater like the type you get from kiko. We use Ionics "thermopure" and its no better. Cos it has a reduced flow and doesnt get very hot. The only reason I dont complain is that it is a unique selling point and we clean all windows cold any way.

Don't these carpet cleaning heaters need 240 volts mains power?

stevekennedy

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 10:58:06 pm »
Mr Solubility, i am wondering how do you ventilate the unit? DO you use a flue or something?

Also, doesn't it affect your van insurance to carry LPG/Propane?

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:36:24 am »
We are not carrying ours in the vans.

Ive not looked into carrying the propane tanks with it.

We fill our holding tank in the van in the morning with hot water and it stays warm enough all day.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:46 am »
The details are with it and you have to make your own arrangements. I only know about my circumstances, not generaliseations.

I did a lot of research including asking questions on here . It needs thinking through.
what is the increase in insurance for carrying it?

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 01:39:58 pm »
I took a seperate policy out.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 01:45:51 pm »
I took a seperate policy out.
ok and the cost was? if you dont mind me asking that

DASERVICES

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 02:24:10 pm »
Dean,

Sending hot water through mixed bed resin will damage the beads in the resin, the resin would probably last a couple of days.

You will need to have pure water in your tank then heat it coming out.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 03:57:15 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WEBASTO-12v-DIESEL-WATER-HEATER-NARROW-BOAT-EBERSPACHER_W0QQitemZ190174289404QQihZ009QQcategoryZ36798QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This water heater is not suitable for our needs.  Seemingly by the time the water passes out the pump and into the tank it would make very little impact, on the water in a 400L tank.  They are used to heat the water cooling system in a vehicle.  It may be OK for raising the temperature slightly in the tank a couple of degrees though, but it would not be a hot water system.

Peter

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 04:03:16 pm »
Dean,

Sending hot water through mixed bed resin will damage the beads in the resin, the resin would probably last a couple of days.

is this not also true that hot water passing through resin makes it bad to use on Upvc  :-\

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 04:12:03 pm »
Dean,

I passed hot water through my DI tank on recommendation from a water treatment expert a few years ago, and it never did any damage to the resin.  Seemingly you get more life out the resin with hot water rather than cold.

Peter

DASERVICES

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 04:37:25 pm »
Peter,

If you look at the spec of mixed bed resin then you will see that it will have a min/max temp. Anything above or below that temp the resin granule will split. As we know the mesh size of the resin must be between 50-60 for it to perform well, any lower than that then you have a sub standard resin that will not last long. Hence when they start to crack the mesh size is reduced.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 05:34:12 pm »
Peter,

If you look at the spec of mixed bed resin then you will see that it will have a min/max temp. Anything above or below that temp the resin granule will split. As we know the mesh size of the resin must be between 50-60 for it to perform well, any lower than that then you have a sub standard resin that will not last long. Hence when they start to crack the mesh size is reduced.

I will have a look.  Off hand do you know what the max. Temp. is?  I was definitely told that hot water was better by the company that sold me my very first DI tank, and seeing as I used to run hot water through the resin in cold weather on a regular basis, and noticed no reduction in resin life, I had no reason to doubt it.  I never ran boiling water through it which I suppose would have distorted the resin, but I did run the water through as hot as it came out the tap.

Peter