Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

drying times
« on: November 17, 2007, 10:33:02 am »
how fast are you drying carpets?

I've got to say I'm not really sure, I always quote 3-4 hours. If they are concerned about drying times I tell them to have the first appointment of the day then everything will be dry for teatime.

I'm talking about consistent drying times, not the one exception when you had the carpet touch dry in an hour, I've done that but not  consistently on every job.

Mike

ps; my local Safeclean always quote 24hrs.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Deep Clean Newcastle Gateshead

Re: drying times
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:36:21 am »
I always tell people 6-12 hrs then when it drys earlier they are over the moon
Northumberland, Newcastle & Gateshead Carpet Cleaning
http://www.deepclean-uk.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:59:28 am »
I always say 4-5 hours but advise not to put wood furniture back in the room until next day. Even a tiny bit of moisture can cause furniture stains. If they want to put it back same day I provide them with foil coasters.

liahona

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:11:32 am »
I have always suggested by the time they wake up the next day (to those who I actually see) then it should be dry.  Other than that then certainly by the following day.  So in short, 24 to 48 hours. 

Best, Dave.

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:15:58 am »
20 minutes ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:10:16 pm »
It's hard to give an honest definative answer but I usually say same as John but will endevour to get them touch dry before I leave as I believe this is what the customer is on about, but it still doesn't answer your question.

Shaun

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 12:27:22 pm »
No comment - got into enough trouble last weekend  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:32:34 pm »
Joe that's why I mentioned consistently on every job. I know you said about having carpets dry in 90mins which can happen but not on every job under every circumstance.

if I clean a l/r and put air-movers in then do the h/s/l by the time I've finished and packed away I can have most of the l/R 'touch dry'

MIKE
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 01:55:34 pm »
Agree with those comments Mike.

Joe sorry if I seemed harsh,was not intentional at the start of the post but it got out of control by us both so again appologies. ( please dont allow me to stop you speaking your mind, I have met you and you are very genuine)
I tell my customers to give 3 to 8 hours for them to be touch dry this time of year.
There are so many factors that you cant give accurate times, so I am happier telling them to wait till next day ( 24 hrs to be fully dry) same as Dave Liahona.

I have 2 cleaners near me that profess the carpets are dry in one hour after cleaning, both use cheap portables and I have had to go in after they on a few occasions because the customer was not happy with the results,once was a day later and the wool carpet was still damp and looked terrible.
This is the type of thing that gives us a bad name. And as the years move on and equipment gets better,so customers think we can wet now clean carpets and our machines are that good that they dry instantly  :).
Guess this will be an emotional topic for years  :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

mark_roberts

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 06:12:40 pm »
I say around four hours but keep furniture off til next day ie. wood furniture.

Started using 2inch to the wand with 1.75inch bore.  This makes a big difference over using a 25ft 1.5inch whip which is easier but wetter.

100% wool berbers I now say 4-12 hours.

Mark

colin thomas

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 06:37:35 pm »
i think it is easy to beat yourself up about drying times but at the end of the day if you get the minging carpet lovely and clean i don't think the customer worries if it is one hour or one day, it's if you say it will clean up and it doesn't then you have a problem. that said, i do say dry within 3-4 hours

colin
colin thomas

Ian Rochester

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 06:47:51 pm »
I generally say that the majority of the carpet will be dry in 4 - 6 hours however the heavier traffic areas that have had to have more work to get them clean may take overnight to dry.

Never had anyone come back to me yet.

Did a carpet the other day and the woman said that the last time she had it cleaned (not by me) it took nearly 4 days to dry!

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:05:07 pm »
A colleague phoned me a few weeks ago can I borrow one of your air movers yeh not a problem, when he came round to pick it up he mentioned that the job was upholstery so I also lent him my CFR hand tool. I think he will be changing wording on his adverts. ;D

Martin

You always get the clean carpet jobs. >:( 8) ;)

Mike

From there web site Carpets can be used immediately ???

What dose your local/HO quote on drying times now that they are hwe and truck-mounted (well some) 

Question for all dose hot water dry quicker than cold?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 08:13:14 pm »
No 2 jobs are the same, no 2 houses are the same and no 2 days are the same (weather wise).
Anything from 30 minutes to 4 hours.  Upstairs carpets dry quicker than ground level.

The Great One

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 08:55:05 pm »
That's the power of the dry my man :P

Did a white carpet yesterday, 23 stairs, hall, and 1 bedroom.

Looked great, was very pleased, and dry before I even walked out the door.

Regards

Martin 8)

JS2

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 09:07:40 pm »
Colleagues

I did an 80/20 (wool/nylon mix) last winter one Sunday afternoon - carpet still wet and smelly Monday afternoon yet extraction appeared normal.  Repeated in a different area the following week and got an estimated 90+% recovery with a single-vac Extracta DX (I actually measured the recovered solution although the pre-spray might have confused the data a little).  However carpet was touch-dry when I left and no reported dampness afterwards.  Conclusion: massive variability form situation to situation and technique/skill applied.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:16:22 pm »
  Conclusion: massive variability form situation to situation and technique/skill applied.

As I said then ;)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 09:06:27 am »
I have always suggested by the time they wake up the next day (to those who I actually see) then it should be dry.  Other than that then certainly by the following day.  So in short, 24 to 48 hours. 

Best, Dave.

[/quote

I think Ken wrote a topic on drying times which agreed with  Dave that all the Moisture would not be out of the carpet for a considerable period of time although the carpet might feel dry.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 03:59:33 pm »
Hi Guys

I maintain some hard floors in a club,  where it's a bit of a race against time to get them done before people arrive, walk round the wet floor signs and mess them up ::)

I have found the biggest effects on drying are temp of the water, hot water dries much quicker , twice as quick I would say,  than cold and also ventillation, the installation of a new fire door which I can open has made a massive difference to the drying time.

Cheers

Doug

carpet guy

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 04:22:18 pm »
Rather than get involved with less tangible, I think you should concentrate on what you are presenting to the client and not too many have major concerns with drying times, if they see a massive change in their carpets when you've finished, you have delivered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you promise something you don't, or can't deliver, your clients will accept what you have done, on the strength of what they see, feel and smell.

I've always told clients to expect their carpets to be touch dry in anything, from 1 -  3 hours but the more heavily soiled areas, might take  2 - 3 times as long, depending on air flow and air quality.