This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drive surgeon

bad chest from pressure washing?
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »
hi, i seem to have developed a smokers cough and bad chest. will it be having the pressure washer to near me while working all the time and breathing in petrol fumes.  i have felt sick before now after breathing in fumes. or does the algae, moss, etc give off spores that get onto your chest??  anyone else suffer similar symptoms?   will try getting extra lenght hose to keep machine way away from me to see if it is fumes. my nose seems to always bunged up too.   i know its not a health forum but someone must no what i mean.  i dont smoke either!!  ??? ??? ???

trevor perry

Re: bad chest from pressure washing?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:04:55 pm »
i have often wondered this we use a hot wash and you can smell the algae in the steam you also smell the chewing gum when removing it i have never had a bad chest from it but sometimes get a bit of a throat iritation that lasts a while.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Ged

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:28:05 pm »
 know what you mean,wear a face mask when using turbo in confined areas. it will be inhaling the fine aerosol mist that is causing the problem. if not just keep taking the tablets.

Dr. ged

drivewasher

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 10:52:18 pm »
Yes i to can taste mould when cleaning especially this time of year. And I do get regular thraot irritations, I have one now. I have face masks in van you know the mouth and nose cover type with ally strip to shape to your beak, but as i wear specs they steam up so it gets thrown off after about 4 mins

But don't despair, my wife tells me the French have a cure for sore throats, it's called a guillotine  lol.......................
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

steve doyle

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 12:33:40 am »
It could be an allergy from the moss or other airbourne irritant, especially if your suffering from a blocked nose. If your asthmatic, allergys can also trigger the symptoms (tightness of the chest, wheezing to name afew).

try using an over the counter anti histamine, ask for the generic version of zirtek its called cetirizine (its cheaper to buy generic than branded but is exactly the same) and its non drowsy. read the instructions but once a day first thing and take for atleast 3-4 days to gauge if its helping.

Also the masks as above should help.

Speak to your pharmacist if you cant be bothered going to the docs just yet.

steve

drive surgeon

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 10:48:27 am »
it could be that guys but my father thinks its petrol exaust fumes. i may have to keep machine at maximum distance as if your jetting for hours all the fumes will build up around you in the air and your breathing it all in. ???

cml

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 10:58:05 am »
I would agree. Put some distance between you and the petrol fumes leaving enough air around you to breathe easily and you might see some improvements.  Let us know how you get on.

steve doyle

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:52:44 pm »
I agree it could be the exhaust fumes,  Although i havent ever had a problem with my machine giving off so much fumes or being close enough to notice them, i got the impression this cough was a relatively new issue so unless your working closer to your machine or its producing more smoke i thought it was unlikely. Although there are other variables of course.

You should be careful though as sucking an exhaust as we all know aint exactly good for you! :-X

Either way, best to move away from the machine to start with and see if that helps before exploring other options.

good luck and as above, keep us posted

steve

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 02:10:59 pm »
no problem guys. im getting a mask to werar now anyway to stop fumes and any other allergens getting on my chest. ;D

drivewasher

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »
If it were exahust fumes, that would be carbon monoxide poisoning. This gives you symptoms similar to the flue.
If you machine is outside and you are I can't see it being exhaust fumes

cml

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 08:15:59 am »
If he is breathing in fumes it would suggest that he is very close to the machine when working.  Don't know how long he has been doing these works so should start a process of elimination.   Putting distance and wearing a mask is the first step for H&S reasons otherwise he would need to start looking at himself and whether he is more likely to have allergic reactions to this type of work more than the average person.

John Kelly

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 10:10:01 am »
This sounds like Carbon Monoxide poisoning. What length of pressure hose are you working at?  Get at least a hudred foot and have the washer as far away as possible, also makes it quieter. Change your air filter often as this prevents it running rich and creating more fumes.
PS a face mask will not prevent you breathing in gasses unless it is a proper respirator with organic gas filters, and you wouldn't want to be wearing one of those all the time.

drivewasher

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 10:50:53 am »
Feeling sick sounds like co related (or bad pie for your dinner lol...) the cough and bad chest sound like the mold /alge water mist related to me.
All the H&S related info on co poisioning refers to useing a petrol engine inside or in partly sheltered areas, EG car parks, barns etc.
as you will never achieve the critical levels of co air mix outside it's not really considered a problem. (The phrase urinating in the ocean springs to mind) You could turn the machine round so as to point the exhaust outlet away from the work area.
100 feet of hose is 33 metres thats 3 and a bit 10 metre lenghts, seems a bit ott to me if your machine is outside and on wheels. I do use up to 10 lenghts but my machine is in a truck mount situation, most jobs I get away with 3 or 4.

I suffer from a smokers cough and I don't smoke (filthy habit) I can taste mould when I cough, its particulary bad at the moment cos of a couple of big well moldy/mossy jobs Iv'e done will try post a pic later

keith b

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 03:33:42 pm »
Drivewasher,
Try wearing those full face masks? - this allows you to wear specs without them misting up - plus a changable disc mask that can filter out different size micro spores.
You might want to buy some "anti fog" mist spray that motor cyclists use?

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 12:37:58 pm »
just been reading a thread on a building forum about kiln dried sand which is very worrying, im not sure if this is normal kiln dried sand or whether its the dust from the blocks themselves they are talking about, here it is, read carefully

When using the plate compactor to settle the sand, it is essential that the operative wears a dust mask - a pair of safety goggles would be a good idea, too. The vibration of the plate sends up a plume of dust from the sanded joints and this dust is highly abrasive. This 'dust is referred to as "airborne respirable crystalline silica (RCS)". If breathed into the lungs, it can cause untold damage and has been implicated in pneumo-silicosis. Similarly, dust or sand in the eye is best avoided.  :'( :'(

drive surgeon

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 10:16:03 pm »
has anyone else heard of these affects to the lungs?? ???

steve doyle

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 12:11:41 am »
ive not heard of this but i wouldent worry to much,

my guess would be that the plate generates the dust by either braking the sand particles or the sand erodes the brick surface to create the dust.

either way, unless your using a whacker plate (which is ott) it shouldent be  a problem.

I will look into it tho,

drive surgeon

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 08:57:35 am »
thanks steve, it is a worry as my chestis still bad, im going the doctors soon, its not a cold or bug either. ???

steve doyle

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 09:36:16 pm »
no probs,

If your still struggling its probably right to get a quick check up. see what they suggest but i would think its possibly allergy related or mild asthma and you can develop these at any age. but for your own piece of mind get it looked at and i am sure you can then put it to one side. :)

steve

drive surgeon

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 10:03:35 pm »
thanks steve, im going the doctors on monday to get it checked. i will keep you all informed. im thinking it could be an allergy or im hoping it is rather than lung damage after breathing in too much exhaust fumes, im only 30/  its not my time yet!! ;) ;)