This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

Help with conservatory roof cleaning with hard-water staining!
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:18:19 pm »
I did a first clean on a large - very posh - domestic property this morning and part of the clean was the conservatory roof.

Access to the roof is easy with a WFP and it can be done without using ladders, but unfortunately I didn't do a good job due to the amount of hard-water staining on the clear roof glass.  I knocked a tenner off the price (so it was £120) to compensate, but the owner would like me to come up with a solution that doesn't cost the earth (I suggested scaffolding and a scaper blade  ;D).

I tried to scrape some of it that I could reach from a ladder and it will come off; eventually.  I don't think a scaper on a pole would be much use though.

Would TFR remove this?  Any other stuff?

Any help guys? 

jeff1

Re: Help with conservatory roof cleaning with hard-water staining!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:23:44 pm »
I use a product called Crystal Clear 550 Glass Restorer, When I use this method I also charge a little extra for it.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:26:29 pm »
If it comes off it isnt hard water staining , more likely to be something like Thompson's water seal or similar.

TFR is worth a try as well as w/up liquid , left for a good soak, when i do a con roof i normally soak my brush with soap and spend the first 10 mins letting the soap do its magic.

Dave

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:37:27 pm »
Cheers guys,

I'd like to do a good job here, since this guy is the owner of two local care homes which he wants a quote for (outside only - my fav), so it's possibly another £300 quids worth of work that I can do in a day; a tough day mind for Wor Lass and I; and if he accepts the quote that is!

The house is spot on though, I got £110 (not £120; typo) for a initial clean which wasn't too bad, but will get £85 for subsequent cleans (heavy-duty conservatory roof clean extra) and I reckon Wor Lass and I could knock it out in an hour.  The owner is obviously not daft, since he wants to see our public liability insurance certificate prior to the next clean.

But given the state of the roof, I'd be surprised if anything removed the stains (they sure do look like hard- water stains and when you scrape it, it does come off (ish) eventually).

What about a conservatory roof ladder?

Are they any good?

simon w

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 05:38:51 pm »
MDR Mineral deposit remover, you can buy this through the federation of window cleaners, have a look at their web-site on their retail page.

hope this is some help.

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:32 pm »
MDR Mineral deposit remover, you can buy this through the federation of window cleaners, have a look at their web-site on their retail page.

hope this is some help.

I think, though I've never used it, that this has to be used in conjuction with 000 grade wire wool!

So now we're back to access issues; ie a conservatory roof ladder; but if I got one of those I could just use my scraper blade.

need a cleaner

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 06:03:02 pm »
this with Crystal clear, the pad as a swivel and it goes just nine on the adjustable gooseneck. :)

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:07:14 pm »
Need a Cleaner and Jeff,

You reckon this Crystal Clear stuff works?  I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to using 'magic' products as they don't always do what they claim.

Would this remove hard-water staining (if that's what it is)?

matt

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 06:10:02 pm »
to do a good job, you will need some kit for this :

1. a handheld sprayer ( the 5 L type with lance and nozzle ) with the hose extended ( not hard to do ) i would just use some heavy duty Zip ties to attach the spray nozzle onto a unger cone

2. a "pad" attached to a angle end ( this is where unger poles come into there own ) attach some scourer pad onto the PAD ( its been said on here to use the White scourer, ive used to green as it was all i had at the time )

get a handheld sprayer ( the 5 L type with lance ) connect the lance to your pole, extend the hose of the lance

put some MDR in the sprayer, pump up sprayer ( wor lass would be handy to pump ) then spray area with MDR

let is soak in a little

Then

attach pad and lightly scrub the effected area

rinse of and marvel at the end result

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:11:58 pm »
Need a Cleaner and Jeff,

You reckon this Crystal Clear stuff works?  I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to using 'magic' products as they don't always do what they claim.

Would this remove hard-water staining (if that's what it is)?
Spray it on, go and have a fAg or coffee come back and wash with wfp, if its water stain then it will be gone?

patwoods

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:37:47 pm »
Where can you get Crystal Clear?
also this?

Pat Purcell

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 08:07:38 pm »
Sorbo hard water stain remover does a good job with out the need for rubber gloves etc
Tosh, a scraper will not be much use removing hard water staining
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Davew

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:58:49 pm »
I used Crystal Clear today on patio windows that the owner had tried evrything she had. Good stuff no scrubbing with a scourer or scraping. It's expensive but does the job.

Jack Avery

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 09:25:32 pm »
If its limescale from hard water Malt Vinegar.