This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

trudi

Ever wonder why you bother!
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:52:01 pm »
I have run a domestic cleaning co for almost 2 years, we work dam hard and guarantee everything for 48 hours.  I recently cleaned a small flat that had been left in a right state. 2 cleaners (one of which was me) over 2 days, took photos as the owners don't live in area. The owners have come up to inspect the property which has now been standing for almost 2 weeks.  She's claiming I've hardly touched it!! Unusually I became quite irrate with this lady and told her to find someone else to re-clean. I won't charge her. I think she just caught me wrong but does anyone else ever doubt what they are doing?  I have a good reputation but this lady has knocked my confidence a bit. I think some people are a bit unrealistic about what can be achieved.  How do you handle unhappy customers without taking it too personally?

Andy Foster

Re: Ever wonder why you bother!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:27:37 pm »
Have you shown them the photos?
Should be indisputable evidence of what you have done.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:21:01 pm »
Always quantify what you can do, don't oversell yourself, be realistic and make sure you price to do the job and not to just get the job.

If worthwhile I would take before and after photos, especially of kitchens and bathrooms, most mobiles now have a camera so it takes seconds to do.

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:37:08 pm »
Hi

We have received some complaints and grumbles lately, i think this is where good customer service skills come in to play... and a cool level head, looks like the customer didnt want to pay from the start, and now you have wasted your time, effort, and money.

If your customer had approached me to say "you havent touched it", and you have photgraphic evidence, i would firstly ask the customer if they remember how he place looked previously, then show them photos of what you have achieved, compared to how it did look, how can they dispute a manky looking bathroom next to a beautifully clean one?

I have it in my terms and conditions that any complaints are to be made in writing within 24/48 hours (depending on type of clean, anything after that - how can you know that it hasn't been messed up by tradesmen etc.

I recently had a complaint in writing for a job we completed (paid on the day, as they were there when we cleaned) but it was over a month ago! what do they expect you to do about it now? they wanted a reimbursement of some sort, i contacted them to apologise, but there is nothing we can do now as the complaint time has lapsed.

I would have come to an agreement with the customer about payments, who does she think she is to get all this work done for free?! It is common sense that the clean will not smell/look the same as it did when you cleaned 2 weeks previous, and if it was so important to her she would have inspected when you had completed, so you could get it signed off and paid for.

Im whittering on now, but i have had to grow a thick skin lately, i have learned that customers will walk all over us unless you stand your ground and stand up to them, be strong, you know you good job, some people just have too high an expectation, thats their unrealistic view.

Take Care
Lisa

domestic bliss

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:54:17 am »
I had the same problem when i did a March out clean for the Raf.  The chap had already moved out and didn't come back for several weeks.  He had left a neighbour in charge.  he phoned me to say it wasn't good enough so i dutifully came back and he pointed out things that hadn't been there when i had cleaned.   I rectified the appointed problems with him watching me and he was so nasty and rude he nearly had me in tears.  in the end he paid up but i can tell you it knocked my confidence but then i got to thinking he is one out f 12 customers that had a problem so i guess i can't be that bad.  AND..... I will never do a March out clean again, i will just stick to normal domestic cleaning.  "Chin up Chuck!!! "

J. Deans

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:53 am »
No one has yet managed to budge the confidence I have in my cleaning.

The reason is simple: The complaints I have had, have all been unbelievably stupid! Like these:

A sales woman comes from head office to inspect the showhomes - on the day we are about to give them their weekly clean. (This was in May)
She complains about some cobwebs and dead flies!

We finish a build clean to a 3 bed house, but the site agent is too busy to inspect it. Other trades start going into the house and we have another job to go to, so we leave.
The next day we get the phone call. "You didn't finish the job, the toilets are all still full of..."

Another site agent says: "That clean you did to plot 88 last week was ok, but you didn't sweep the floors, there was sawdust everywhere."
"That's because you had all the internal doors replaced yesterday." I reminded him!

My Favourite:

A sales woman leaves a message on my answerphone on a Sunday, complaining the the clients that moved in on Friday were not happy that the garage hadn't been swept out.
I arrived on Monday morning, went straight to her site plan on the wall and pointed out that this particular plot did not have a garage!
It turns out that she had part-overheard a conversation about the site labourer not sweeping out the garage of another plot!
Needless to say, I charged them for the call-out!

I could go on and on...
I have a new policy where, if a site agent is too busy to do an inspection, he must still sign the sheet. If he refuses, I produce another sheet for him to sign - A Waiting Time Sheet! It usually works!

If you did the clean, you are entitled (by law) to payment even if the client is not happy.
The onus is on them to then take legal action against you to recover part of that money.
If they are just 'trying it on' they are not very likely to persue it.

trudi

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:12:49 pm »
thanks to all of you for your comments.  I guess I am tired after 2 years non stop working to make my business a success (not alone there I know) and I have only ever had 2 minor complaints (honestly!) so its something I have'nt really dealt with and despite being quite a confident person it just left me feeling a bit unsure. Am sending client photos of before and after. Will take all your advice, thanks again
Trudi