This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

absolutecleaning

limescale on bottom of taps
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:05:00 am »
has anyone got any ideas on what to use / how to remove limescale from the bottom of taps (i.e. where the water comes out)

thanks

simon

Bertie Boo

Re: limescale on bottom of taps
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:48:03 pm »
Its about the only thing i use vinegar for, but it works. You need to soak something (cottom wool for example) in vinegar and then apply this to the taps, ensuring that it doesnt fall off. You need to leave it there for an hour or two (i think Kim and Aggie have put the cotton wool in a plastic bag before now and tied it to the tap) and the limescale will fall off, though i believe care needs to be taken on gold coloured taps...luckily here in the Midlands our water is largely quite soft.

Cheers

Stephen

The Great One

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:56:49 pm »
HI

Depends on the situation.

You can use the vinegar method, or if time is an issue you can scrape off gently with a flat head screwdriver, or use a watered down acid solution.

Spirit of salts (POTENT STUFF!!!) added to water (not the other way around!) dip a scourer into the solution (USE RUBBER GLOVES!!!) to scrape off the limescale.

Or you may try a steam cleaner, it's great for getting rid of limescale (not tried on end of taps yet)

Regards

Martin 8)

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:21:59 am »
Hi Phos made by evans vanodine, its thick and will cling to wherever you put it

wilclean

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 01:58:12 pm »
Hi

I use Lifeguard limescale remover as it works very well.

paul

Cleanawayps

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 07:42:46 pm »
Use a two pence piece !! Have always found that this works wonders !
Just gentley scrape the limescale with the 2p

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

trudi

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:18:46 am »
Not evnvironmentally friendly but spray a small amount of acid and then scrap off with a blade, any bit you cant reach with the blade use a toothbrush, works well .
Trudi

Tim Downer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:49:08 pm »
As long as you do not leave on the taps for too long, then i would start off using my toilet cleaner (i use one with limescale remover a;ready in it) ACT do a good one. Brings up the taps a treat plus removes the limescale.....but there again, it depends on how thick the limescale is....

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

The Great One

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 03:40:58 pm »
Not evnvironmentally friendly but spray a small amount of acid and then scrap off with a blade, any bit you cant reach with the blade use a toothbrush, works well .
Trudi

Please do not spray acid.

Although the phrase ' common sense' is not applicable in law, you are asking for trouble if you spray acid.

Apply with cloth or dilute into water.

Regards

Martin 8)

trudi

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 09:25:16 pm »
Sorry, didn't explain myself fully - obviously diluted acid as instructed on the container whilst wearing protective eye wear and mask and heavy duty rubber gloves. Didn't think I needed to state the obvious.

Trudi

Bertie Boo

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »
erm have i missed something, but what exactly do u mean by 'acid'? Vinegar is acid (as are many things)...........

Stephen

The Great One

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 08:59:45 am »
HI

You do not spray any acid, how many spray bottles do you see in fish & chip shops?

Although obvious to most of us, new people coming in might not have the same 'common sense' as those of us that have been doing it a while.

This is why 'common sense ' is not applicible in H&S law.

A 16 year old is not expected to have the same 'common sense' as a 45 year old.

Regards

Martin 8)