This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davetherave

cleaning caravan exteriors
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:45:01 pm »
im going into the driveway cleaning business and was thinking another thing i could offer is the cleaning of caravan exteriors with my pressure washer as i noticed one a couple of days ago looked filthy and was covered in that green algae stuff

does anyone know if pressure washing would damage the caravan in anyway?

and if anyone has pressure washed a caravan what do you charge on average?

I posted another topic about conservatory roof cleaning with a pressure washer and everybody seemed to agree pressure washing a conservatory roof would damage it.

I obviously dont want to go out there offering caravan cleans and then damage peoples pride and joy. 

any advice would be really appreciated

domestic bliss

Re: cleaning caravan exteriors
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 11:55:03 am »
Do not ever pressure wash a caravan exterior.  The power of the water breaks down the seals allowing damp to get in which is fatal for a caravan.  You can wash with a brush and special caravan cleaner and hose off.  I am a caravan owner so i am talking from experience.

davetherave

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:58:28 am »
cheers domestic bliss for the advice i thought the pressure washer may damage them

mike peters

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:17:42 pm »
hammer Chewers should not try it as a DIY Job. As wit many things it can be done but wit care.

use PVCu cleaner from *eurocell or any trade plastics supplier  (But not on plastic windows) (*as in facias and soffits), and low pressure washing at about 800-1000 psi and a 45-60 degree nozzle. You can lso use CIF (Jif) for stubborn stains but its quite agressive so only really bad bits. NEVER ON PLASTIC WINDOWS. as an alternative look at www.roof-coaters.com we are looking for applicatiors all over the UK

john mc

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:10:26 pm »
Hi mate make sure that you only use none damaging chemicals as most will dry or damage the seals on the van, You will get info from fenwicks caravan cleaners or a product called Muck off. hope this helps

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:58:21 pm »
Non caustic TFR or alloy wheel safe TFR, allow to dwell then brush with WFP - just the same as a conservatory roof ! If you want an add on for pressure washing look at drains

dandandan

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:25:41 pm »
A company on my site charge £40 and they are crap.I have jetted mine for years with a little karcher.I cover it in general purpose karcher cleaner,give it a good brush over,rinse it off then clean them little black runs you get under the windows with jif or a mild kitchen cleaner,or i just use the upvc cleaner that i`m cleaning the window frames with.Try and dry the van off with towel or shammy before runs appear and squeegy the windows and it doesn`t half gleam.Mine only goes green on the grassed  sides but the jet wash gets this off.

Buckethead

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:41:21 am »
As Domestic Bliss says - never, ever a pressure washer. I use a brush (don't know what they are called) I use it on my car, caravan, and even her car (sometimes) ;D

The makers use a mastic and over many years it dries out, stick a pressure washer on it and you blow it away like dirt, the water is forced down the cracks and the caravan is deceased :( :(

However - the best bit - you can earn money cleaning static caravans or even just their windows. I knew a bloke who used to charge £30 to wash and polish statics and that was 6 years ago! Plus alot of them have patios to clean! In fact the guy I bought my first wfp set up from used it to clean caravans.

So you don't just have to look at just touring caravans - static sites near towns can have people who use them to live in and that is where the market is :D

Buckethead

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:44 am »
I should also add that they have lots of deckings!!

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:28:04 am »
We clean static caravans, mobile homes the lot.

Never use a presure washer. No mater what the angle, or the presure. It does damage the seals in the end!

We have been cleaning them for years. There are many chemicals and most work. The black streaks are the hardest to remove. That will require a bit of elbow grease eith JIF, TFR, TRUCK WASH and many others to name a few. T-cut even helps. But you cant keep on using it in the same place.

The metal is thin and so is the paint that is sprayed on. Its not as thick as car spray ppaint so be careful.

WFP is the way to go. Or a long hose on a mains tap. Pure water is better.

Best of luck

Dave

brian willis

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
 yes you can use a pressure washer on caravans ,ido have done thousands of them never had a problem use a good tfr and wax brush on then jet wash off simple just dont have the pressure to high,

Bri

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:30:33 pm »
If I were you I would check with the manufacturers about using presure washers on caravans. Most state NO! Due to the seals could break.

End of argument! You will pay the price in the end.

Check with manufacturer and they will advise against it.

And going against manufacturers advice will void the warranty. Check it.

Dave

karygate

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 04:46:07 am »
i have cleaned caravans with my wfp and they come up great and no runs cos its pure water.
gary

Buckethead

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:19 pm »
I lived on a static caravan site and the usual advice was car shampoo, the are others out there in the touring caravan community who swear by Finnegans (available at caravan retailers).

I bought my first wfp equipment from a chap who used to clean caravans with it.

But as previously said - never use a pressure washer, you flick the dried sealing compound out and the proper stuff is terrible to replace.

Car shampoo works as good as anything!

Last I heard (around 2005) in my area was £25/30 for a static, depend where you live.

Try your luck