This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: Why pay a £1000 for a trolley.
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 11:24:51 pm »
Some good comments there Brightclean,it just amazed me how much cheaper you can get setup when you shop around.With the backpack being a 1/4 of the price of the trolley i was just surprised why so many people went for the trolley over the backpack,i think this thread has got Tosh sulking i reckon he`s just brought one LOL.

brightnclean

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 11:33:57 pm »
Some good comments there Brightclean,it just amazed me how much cheaper you can get setup when you shop around.With the backpack being a 1/4 of the price of the trolley i was just surprised why so many people went for the trolley over the backpack,i think this thread has got Tosh sulking i reckon he`s just brought one LOL.

OMG has hell just frozen over?  lol   ;D

Anyway I have my own reasons for choosing the trolley over the back pack. The main one being able to run a tank mount with it. It suits my workload and with it and a tank on board I have the best of both worlds.
1 of the other guys who bought the trolley was using a back pack but had gone through 3 since Jan this year. Mind you he is a heavy handed so and so. The trolley is really very well built so can stand the abuse he gives it.

NWH

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 11:35:37 pm »
What did he do or how did he treat the backpack to go through 3 of them.

brightnclean

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 11:44:45 pm »
Errrr I dont think that the back pack is designed to be constantly dropped from 2 or 3 ft onto the ground. He is a a big guy so just filled it.. picked it up and dumped it outside every window he did  lol.

Oh yes of course it was all Shurflo's fault accordin to him  lol

jouk45

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 11:55:32 pm »
notice that most only seem to mention just a trolly,  no one mentions that you  get a 5 stage RO/DI system,
with it, also varistream, and much more,   if your great with diy,    sure you can save a few hundred quid,
  but what if your not,   or just to busy to diy a trolley system,   we have got to pay for someones time,   And remember purefreedoms trolleys are not diy,    they are a professional built system. jouk45

JohnL

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 12:01:47 am »
I purchased a backpack this week and got a trolley for it and it looks just as professional as a trolley system i`ve seen advertised for a £1000,this setup in all has cost me £260 the only difference being that it carrys 16ltrs compared to 25.Is it me or has others out there spotted this obvious rip off.

Why pay a £1000 for a trolley.

So this is a trolley for £1000? .   .   .   .    I dont think so!

Be fair

This is not just a bespoke manufactured trolley with pneumatic tyres, with a 100psi pump and flowmaster controller enabling the use of 100mtrs of microbore,  a large powered battery in a secure box capable of being flexible enough to turn it into a van supported system, an 18ft pole with  a reach of around 23ft  topped by a 10'' Vikan brush and a 100 gallon a day 5 stage RO/DI purification unit providing all you need for a start-up system  .  .  .  .  this is an M&S bespoke manufactured trolley . . . . oh no, wrong advert   :) 

I hope you get my drift!  ;)

What is right for one may not be correct for another but posts with headings like this do no-one any good.

If you have bought one and it fits the bill,fine.

I am sure people can make their own systems. That is their choice. There are a lot of manufacturers out there all trying to make a product and a living. Thankfully the staying power, its functionality and its usefulness over a time will be the arbiter of whether a product is worth the money or not.
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Londoner

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 07:42:57 am »
Sure you can make your own system, (I did,)  if you know what to buy. When I was starting out the biggest problem was a lack of knowledge on my part. I didn't know what to buy or where to buy it.
Don't knock the trolley, its got a lot of people started who wouldn't have been able to build their own from scratch. OK so you soon grow out of it, thats progress.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 10:10:00 am »
Wish someone would manuf an electric drive rolley  :(

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 10:26:49 am »
I dislike trolleys. They are not the most efficient or effective way to WFP. They create more work for the user and are generally not a good idea. For a few window cleaners they are a good idea though due to access issues etc. Backpacks are only slightly more useful in reality. Most who carry on WFP'ing for a couple of years will have graduated to proper systems.

What you pay for a trolley is up to you. No one is out to rip you off, just provide themselves with a decent living and you with a professional product. There are lot more expensive trolleys than the Freedom trolley.

You may notice that our firm has never sold trolleys or Backpacks. We could quite easily do so and could make a healthy profit on them. I just do not like selling something that I feel is the wrong product for the job.

Before I get everybody leaping to these products defense, yes I still clean a fair amount of domestic windows, yes I live in Cornwall and have to deal with narrow lanes, bad parking etc, and yes there are a lot of steps, paths and gates. I started with a trolley myself, a very good one, that I bought about 6 years ago. Within 2 months I had built a trailer system as the shortcomings of the trolley were hard to ignore. Within 6 months I sold the trolley to someone else who was starting out himself, within 6 months he had sold it on to someone else who within 4 months took it to pieces to use the parts in a Van-mount system. I wish someone had said to me back then to save my money, think a bit more and kit out a vehicle. I would have saved myself so much work and have given myself about a year's head-start on fully integrating WFP into my window cleaning round. If I had fitted my estate car out with a 125litre tank a pump and hose I would have saved money and been able to clean windows far more quickly.

By the way whilst we are on the subject of prices;

Ionics sell various trolleys, prices below
Duplex DI trolley (basically 2x DI canisters with wheels) = £357.95 + VAT
Cricket trolley (as above with pressure vessel to hold/pump water) = £729.95
Pro-5 access trolley (300ltr) =£4630 + VAT
Pro-7 Mobile Trolley = £4385 + VAT

All of them do their job very well, most of the larger ones are for large commercial premises where they stay on site permanently and get moved to where they are being used for that day.

Makes the Freedom look quite cheap doesn't it?

Londoner

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 10:33:39 am »
I agree totally Alex
I think within a few weeks of starting out with a trolly most people buy a long length of microbore and a reel to begin using itheir trolley as if it were a van mount. The days of pushing a trolley round to the backs of houses don't last long. But what you learn in those first few weeks is priceless.

Wrekin C S

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 10:37:15 am »
Im am going to order 1 of these Freedom trolleys Monday - but after reading all these posts the question is do I still go ahead and order one - really confused what to do now? Ain't got the knowlege to build my own! Also do I go for a van mount system or trolley system?  :-\ My heads spinning here lol

KarlJones

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2007, 10:50:46 am »
It is just my personal opinion, you can turn a backpack into a trolley quite easily, but you can't really do it the other way around.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Londoner

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2007, 10:55:38 am »
Wrekin
I think there is a secondhand trolley being offered on this forum at the moment. I wouldn't be put off by all this talk. Trolleys are the way most of us started out.

karygate

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 11:07:11 am »
All i can say is that i only started last month , but my freedom trolley has been great and have never and still do not feel that i made a wrong decision. if i had bought items seperately i would still be building my trolley now. surely all you people appreciate that you have to pay for skill manafacture as well as just the bits.
gary

JohnL

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 11:26:44 am »
Also do I go for a van mount system or trolley system?

The best thing you can do is make the decision based on your round and likely future customers.

Taking a figure of 60 houses on my round 40-ish suit a trolley, about 10 are ideal for a van mount system, with the balance being suitable for either.

People who swear by one system or the other can only be talking in reference to their own situation and nothing more whether it be backpack, trolley or van mount!

I'm waiting for one of those backpack, self floating jobbies as worn by James Bond all those years ago - now that would be good!   :)
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

brightnclean

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 11:28:46 am »
Poor Wrekin must be in a right old pickle by now.

It's really a no brainer. No-one can honestly say that one set up is all things to all men. All have their +'s and -'s  HOWEVER.. the freedom trolley is an excellent investment because it is just so versatile. I had just a van mount to begin with and got well fed up of access problems, not being able to park near the property, getting round the back of terraces. The trolley solved them all for me. A lot say they move on from a trolley to a van mount. Some like Vince still say the trolley comes in usefull. Mine certainly comes in usefull. I use it more than the hosereel from the tank now.

The Freedom is a very well thought out and *loody well built piece of kit. It will drive 100 metres of hose with no probs all day long if you need it to but can also be used stand alone as and when best to do so.

If I had known about it when I first went WFP I would have gone for it then just added a tank and reel.

My advice to Wrekin is to just go for it. I saw the deal you have been offered and its a good one. You have a Transit so just add a tank as and when then you will have a set up for any job.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2007, 11:50:57 am »
Wrekin,

If you have a Transit then you have no space issue which is why most of us started with a trolley.

If it is a question of money then a 500 litre tank in the van with a 100psi pump and 100meters of microbore will do anything you want it to and only cost about £350. Then simply add a backpack for anything you think you will have access problems with for about £160 and you are sorted.

Total cost about £550 plus any poles and water purification you need.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 12:01:03 pm »
I've used a van mount AND a trolley from the beginning.  What I have found is that my trolley usage gets less and less as I resist taking on work where I need it.  I keep hold of it because it's useful in certain situations still.  I don't really need to connect a hosereel to it much.  I have a 10m length of hose which I use to connect the van mount to the hosereel.  I connect this up to the trolley and pole hose when needed to save having to move the trolley around so much.

paul mather

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 12:29:24 pm »
Wrekin,

If you have a Transit then you have no space issue which is why most of us started with a trolley.

If it is a question of money then a 500 litre tank in the van with a 100psi pump and 100meters of microbore will do anything you want it to and only cost about £350. Then simply add a backpack for anything you think you will have access problems with for about £160 and you are sorted.

Total cost about £550 plus any poles and water purification you need.

Have to say I couldn't agree more with Alex, infact I've been trying to put him off one of these trolleys on a different thread. If he's unsure exactly what he will need to set up his own system I'm sure there are plenty on here that we be more than happy to help, including me!
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

jeff1

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2007, 01:33:04 pm »
Im am going to order 1 of these Freedom trolleys Monday - but after reading all these posts the question is do I still go ahead and order one - really confused what to do now? Ain't got the knowlege to build my own! Also do I go for a van mount system or trolley system?  :-\ My heads spinning here lol
My Advice is to phone Andrew and he will give you unbiased advice, tell him the type of work you have,  he will point you in the right direction as to your best needs, if he feels the trolley system is the best for you, he will tell you, if its not right for your needs he will advise you as what would be best, He will not try to sell you something that is wrong for you and your business.

You can't take advise from someone who has never used a Trolley only those who have?