This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

Telescopic Ladders! Are they any good?
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:15:12 pm »
I've just bought a second-hand estate car, it's in good nick, four-years-old; lowish mileage; well looked after, dealer serviced from new with only one previous owner.

It's a decent motor and I've decided I don't want a van system; I'm/we're happy working out of a car and not forking out keeping two motors on the road.

However, I'm a bit concerned about how I'm going to work out of the thing when I've got ladders on top; restricting access to the boot.

I only use ladders now and again; I WFP tops only and trad the bottoms but still need ladders to access the odd flat roof.

So, are these telescopic ladders any good?

http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/telescopic-ladder.htm

Or could I just use a single (from my double extension ladders) and carry them well forward of the boot; I only use a single 99% of the time I have to use a ladder?  Would this be safe; especially going over speed ramps?

Cheers!

Mike 108

Re: Telescopic Ladders! Are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 05:43:58 pm »
Advert says that it 'opens and locks rung by rung'. Presumably you would only close it up enough to fit on your roof rack without it interfering with your opening of the boot (otherwise it could get really tiresome!!)

Can you not buy (or make up) a smaller extension ladder that would fit on the roof rack without fouling the boot?

Tosh. Why do you still 'trad' the downstairs when you already have the WFP set up on the premises?

Mike

rp cleaning services

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 06:01:25 pm »
tosh,telescopic ladders are okay for climbing on flat roofs and over gates,they would be dangerous for cleaning windows,too much bend on them,plus some of the rungs get stuck and are a pain to get them fixed,the good thing about the ladders  they do not take up too much room in your vehicle.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:36:24 pm »
When I had my estate and was trad. I bought very light and short DIY triples for this very reason - so they could sit forward of the hatch. I put them as a short double on one side and a short single (third section) on the other.
It's a game of three halves!

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:52:24 pm »
I think you use ladder clamps don't you Tosh??

If you do, then these would be fine for holding your ladders safe, I had my set clamped on my modeo forward of the boot, they wobbled a bit going over speed ramps, but I had no worry's of them falling off, If your using just a single from your double I would go ahead with it.

john meehan

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 06:58:50 pm »
no need to put on roof rack they collapse right down so just put in boot

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:18:51 pm »
no need to put on roof rack they collapse right down so just put in boot
exactly
I have a telescopic ladder, I think its great for access to flat roofs and I use it on the backs of small terrace houses where its more convenient than dragging hose and pole from my van mount through someones house. However if you already have a single thats enough for most of your work and ladder clamps then I'd just stick with that and save ya money.
Tosh I'm guessing you still trad downstairs because of the size of your cars water tank, I've a 250 ltr in a courier van but still trad a lot of my downstairs to make the water last on a long day plus I'm on a meter.

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 07:29:56 pm »
Hey, cheers, guys for the help,

But I quite like this idea:

When I had my estate and was trad. I bought very light and short DIY triples for this very reason - so they could sit forward of the hatch. I put them as a short double on one side and a short single (third section) on the other.

Not only that, I've a Homebase a few hundred meters from where I live, so this solution is convenient to purchase too.

Thanks all!

Cheers, Malc, that's a beer I owe you.

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:44:23 pm »
Malc,

Thinking about it, it's an obvious solution too! 

I am a Geordie! :-[

Cheers, mate!

That's a beer I owe you!

If you ever want to go walking on a weekend round the Wye Valley with your daughter, give me a shout!

I'll take Wor Little Un and you all can listen to her whinge (she hates walking) while I show you some really class places away from the normal tourist areas.

Thanks again!

G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 07:47:35 pm »
What about 2.5m doubles?

They`d be cheaper and easier to carry.

Gerry.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 07:53:44 pm »
What about 2.5m doubles?

They`d be cheaper and easier to carry.

Gerry.

I'll look into that too; cheers!