Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KarlJones

I let the customer win, was I right?
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:51:34 am »
Now I personally think I have a pretty good attitude to customer complaints.  The way I see it if something is wrong I will put it right.  Thats the deal and it is explained to them from the outset.

So today I spent 3 hrs cleaning down outside of guttering, fascia, sofits and windows inc a conservatory.  The house was filthy and I half expected a call back as something is bound to go wrong with job likes this.

So, come 9pm a phone call, proper irate complaining that I had not done any of it right apart from the windows and he is not going to pay for anything but the windows.

So, within 20 mins I am there,  it looked fine but the problems fell like this.
His garage and the garage next door belonged to him, doh!, I am not sure how I was supposed to realise this as there was a fence at the back separating the garages from each other ?!?
Fair enough, 10 mins work max cleaning down the gutters from a milk crate.
I had missed a bit, I knew this would happen, hands up it was bad quality control on my part, I had missed a 3" section that I had not even realised was there as it sort of had a 3" section of facsia at the back of the porch.  1 min job.
On to the next bit, the filthy sofits, some of the water had run back away from the house and settled in a ridge, it was noticable from inside and it needed cleaning.  Dunno how long that would take.

OK 1 mistake, 1 who would have thought it and 1 needs improving. But in general I had worked my socks off for 3 hrs and done a pretty god job of taking loads of muck off the place.
So I offer to pop back in the morning and re do these bits.  But no, they are not interested, they just want to pay for the windows, which I am told she "could have done them myself with Mr Muscle" (maybe this is where I am going wrong)

I just thought, I don't want to waste any more of my time with these people, just take the window money and go, count your blessings that your not a plasterer etc.  So thats what I did, I was very nice, accepted the blame (as it was mostly my fault though I would dispute the 2nd garage) 

Now I wonder if I should have laid down some rights?  Or was I right to take the cash and get away from these type of folk that want to pick faults to get out of paying.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

poleman

Re: I let the customer win, was I right?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 01:43:12 am »
Only speaking from my view point, I would not be best pleased, if I had work my socks off and then told we are not paying you

You had a agreement with them on a price for the job, you done the job but they was not happy and you offer to put it right, she is just trying it on  ::) if it was me I would take them to the small claims court (very easy thing to do)

Andy     

KarlJones

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:57:42 am »
Thats how I felt to be honest PoleMan, it wouldn't be so bad but I had gotten a phone call a few hours before from another customer telling me what a brilliant job I had done of her windows.  It fills you with confidence then you get hit the the stomach by the next customer.

I kinda figured they were trying it on, but such a large part of me felt "Im going to be here forever if I do make them have me back".  I guess some customers and window cleaners see eye to eye, others see it as a way to get themselves out of a mess and then look for ways not to pay.  Im just glad to be rid of them on one hand, but on the other it grates me that they stole my time.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:49:28 am »
I suppose if you don't mind the hassle their is the small claims court.  Mind you, when I've been turned over (thankfully rarely) I just move on and make sure any other window cleaners I know are aware that they don't pay.
I got the nod from a W/C recently about a potential new customer so I won't be doing that job after all.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:32:13 am »
We recently had one like this with a gutter and con roof clean, she also had a freestanding garage that I wasn't aware of, she also wanted the downpipes cleaned, which I hadn't quoted for, she also complained that we had dropped dead leaves all over her clean patio, there were about 5 leaves out of about a million!

It was a £120 job that took about a month before she paid up after much hassle.  We'll never go back there again and I'm sure she'll be recounting to all her friends at work the problems she had!!

Quantify and clarify exactly what is expected, what you are capable of delivering and what the final price will be.  If necessary get in on a estimate form.  It cab be a hassle and 99% of the time you will never need  it, but for that 1%........it's worth it!

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:40:25 am »
Quantify and clarify exactly what is expected, what you are capable of delivering and what the final price will be. 

Spot on.  You have to summarise exactly what you're going to do for the price you've quoted.

Remember, when some customers ask you to clean their gutters, they may assume this means the eaves and soffit area too.

At the end of each quoting conversation recount to the customer what you're going to do, exactly, and repeat the price.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:49:58 am »
How much were you done over for?
Were they previously a good customer?

Legally they must allow you the chance to put right your mistakes. Only you can decide if you want to push it. You could go back, get a snagging list from them, get agreement that you will be paid in full for it when completed.

An expensive lesson, we've all had 'em - but worthwhile for learning from for next time IMO.
It's a game of three halves!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:08:09 am »
There is absolutely no way I would leave this and walk away.

I would agree a snagging list and return to complete the job. Otherwise, lets face it, your customer has had all the work done, which I am sure is of a good standard for FREE and its COST you!

If the customer refused I would stand my ground and demand payment for the work I had done and if he still refused I would call the police and explain his tactics and that i had offered to rectify these few small points.

You would be surprised how many people who shout their mouths off suddenly get a reality check when you stand infront of them and call the police.

I know the police can't make him pay but the fact they turn up is sometimes enough to get an amicable settlement.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

xxmattyxx

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:20 am »
A few options spring to mind.

Phone 'em up and try to re-negotiate.

If no luck there, it might be worthwhile informing them that they are under contract, a verbal contract will be supported in the eyes of the law. If your worried they may slag you off to their mates/neighbours/colleagues etc they'd be equally worried you might do the same to them if you imply something along the lines of 'no-one else around here has complained about my quality of work, I wonder what they might think, think I'll ask fo rtheir opinions'

Sue them....... satisying Id imagine

Give them their dirt back (I dont clean anyones dirt off for nothing, if they wont pay I feel justified in giving it them back) ......satisfying too.

If youve returned at any stage and done what he wasnt happy with they havent a single leg to stand on; and if they've denied you the opportunity to sort the problem out they'd be laughed out of court.

Matt

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:15 am »
Yeah re dirt their windows maybe each one with an egg then see if she can remove them with mr muscle im joking of course but ive considered it a few times

Helen

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 04:37:29 pm »
Karl, if you don't mind me saying so, you sound like you were "defeated" before you started the job. Ok so you have said youself that maybe some bits weren't as good as others, but come on, it must look better than what it did before! You spent 3 hours on it. You weren't sitting around doing nothing were you, so you are entilted to payment.  Personally I would now write to them explainig that having now had time to consider the situation, you feel that their actions and attitiude is unfair, seeing that you had offered to rectify the situation and that you will be considering further action to retrieve monies owed. Enclose a full invoice, detailing the part payment already received and a timescale say 7 days for payment to be made. Personally I would put it through their letterbox yourself marked delivered by hand, so that you know 100% it has been received. Wait your timescale if nothing receieved either go to small claims or the police. Come on do something about it we are all behind you on this one. These people are the cowboys not us and they need to start to realise we cannot be treated like this........ >:( rant over, but people like this really P*** me off! Oops Helen swore!

xxmattyxx

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 04:41:42 pm »
Oops Helen swore!

Naughty girl  ::)  ::)

Helen

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 04:47:07 pm »
Not often something gets to me, but COWBOY customers every time  ;D ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 04:54:51 pm »
I agree with Helen and many others here.

The customers are obviously total cretins.

You ought to do something.

Spiceworld

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 06:41:02 pm »
I agree - Small Claims Court every time

Can all be done online now for £30.00

Richard

NWH

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 07:27:37 pm »
I say i want you to walk me round the whole job and tell me what you want me to clean,i make a note of whats said and then read it back to them.It might be a good idea to get them to sign it even if it`s a scrap piece of paper.

Londoner

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 07:44:04 pm »
The significant question was whether the customer was using a couple of small gripes as a ploy. I would say that if I suspected a degree of intent on his part I would take him to court.
The reason I say this is because many years ago I worked with a bloke called Roy who did this sort of thing all the time and was proud of it. He was a total A***H***.

KarlJones

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:25:55 am »
Yes thats exactly what happened, they just used a couple of things to try to get out of paying to be honest.  Helen, well your exactly right, the very fact these minor points stood out is because of my hard work for three hours. 

Well I am going to put it down to a lesson learned.  It will never happen again thats for sure.  Its the first time I have had this happen and I guess my inexperience in dealing with scum like this shone through.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 06:03:01 am »
Karl, if you don't mind me saying so, you sound like you were "defeated" before you started the job. Ok so you have said youself that maybe some bits weren't as good as others, but come on, it must look better than what it did before! You spent 3 hours on it. You weren't sitting around doing nothing were you, so you are entilted to payment.  Personally I would now write to them explainig that having now had time to consider the situation, you feel that their actions and attitiude is unfair, seeing that you had offered to rectify the situation and that you will be considering further action to retrieve monies owed. Enclose a full invoice, detailing the part payment already received and a timescale say 7 days for payment to be made. Personally I would put it through their letterbox yourself marked delivered by hand, so that you know 100% it has been received. Wait your timescale if nothing receieved either go to small claims or the police. Come on do something about it we are all behind you on this one. These people are the cowboys not us and they need to start to realise we cannot be treated like this........ >:( rant over, but people like this really P*** me off! Oops Helen swore!

If you go down this route, do it by registered letter or some means where there is poroof that they have received it.  Not only will you have proof of receipt but it will look more official so that they are more likely to believe legal action could follow.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 09:18:55 pm »
Sorry to hear of your plight with this character. I've been down this road too with customers, though only in regard to relatively small amounts of money. What really annoys me is when they make all that fuss and then won't let you correct it. You know then they're only after one thing.

However, and I stand to be corrected on this, if you want to pursue a matter like this in a small claims court don't accept any payment from them in any way otherwise you will be seen as having accepted their offer and closed the contract. This won't help your claim and may even prevent you from being successful.

Mark