This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

advanced

Re: DEFRA Water Ban Consultation
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 09:57:31 pm »
Just a matter of time we are screwed took five years to build up the business , thousands of pounds of investment  then comes another  winter of little rain  water ban  follows and im off to the dole que great  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

niceandclean

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:03 pm »

Or to put it another way the manufacturers will put more into this not because of the individual window cleaner but because the manufacturer stands to lose a lot more.
Any individual window cleaner could adjust his methods or find other manual labour. Stamp out wfp and who really loses?

I would!! I have invested alot of time and money into my business! Yes i could adjust my methods, but i would see a massive decline in my earnings!

Helen

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 10:56:39 pm »
I would!! I have invested alot of time and money into my business! Yes i could adjust my methods, but i would see a massive decline in my earnings!

But it's this "We have your interests at heart" rubbish to make it look good that winds us up. All their intested in is their sale figures, whilst a secondary issue is ensuring wfp users can carry on, which in turn allows them to carry on selling.
Associations must be allowed a view, afterall they are looking after the end user. 

niceandclean

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 11:05:11 pm »
Everyone is out for themselves. The suppliers are still a business and they would have alot to loose just like me!

matt

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 11:07:52 pm »
Hi Matt
Forgot to say they have also lost Paul Smith and Alan Lillington so are now down to five on the commitee.

Steve

i guess they are the 5 who stood to gain with the "golden goose "

no surprises on that 1

matt

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 11:44:11 pm »
i just hope that people take it seriously, afterall its OUR livings that are stake not the "system makers" as they have made there money

Philip, as you were at the meeting to report on things, who was it who was being childish and sticking his 2 fingers up and shouting silly remarks at the panel

this might show how serious some took it and some didnt  ::) ::)

Philip Hanson

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 11:45:51 pm »
Hi Matt,

I do believe you are becomming cynical in your old age!!

Philip from the post, i guess you and craig are now " buddy'd up" with the FED now, otherwise why post this

I think it will be very long time before I "buddy up" with the federation, I dont mind telling you!  Why post this?  Because its what I think thats all!  Trevor and anyone else at the apwc doesnt have to listen to my opinion, because its just that, my opinion.

lets leave the name calling and mug slinging to the children eh
There was no mudslinging or namecalling matt, I 100% respect what Trevor and the APWC may be trying to achieve, but I do think that there should be a reasonable attitude about it, and I hope that anyone who does get involved in the consultation has the sense and maturity to know when he or she is going to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Helen, you are quite right, manufacturers and suppliers of WFP equipment of course have a commercial interest in opposing any restriction on WFP, and it would be foolish to suggest otherwise.

But that doesnt change the fact that many many window cleaning businesses who have gone to the trouble to invest considerable sums in order to allow their employees the safest work equipment would also suffer severely.  And remeber, its not simply a case of "going back to ladders", there are a great many buildings that can now only be cleaned with water-fed pole.  How do you, for example, clean over 3rd storey with a ladder?  You can't, but many window cleaning companies regularly do so with WFP.  In some circumstances, it might be possible to do with powered access, but this is expensive and would likely wipe out any profit made on a particular job.  Prevent window cleaners from using water-fed poles, and it could well mean some businesses going bankrupt.

And lets not forget one of the main reasons for WFP in the first place - safety.  Working safely is in everyone's interest, and the hse has even acknowledged that if window cleaners who have previously used WFP all suddenly are forced to use ladders, there is likely to be a spate of accidents.

I believe that involvement in this issue will eventually be settled only by the involvement of lawyers, primarily because the argument hinges on exactly what is meant by the 1991 Drought Direction which cites the cleaning of windows by hosepipe.

I'm sure everyone understands that as soon as you involve lawyers to argue the case, it quickly gets expensive, and therefore anyone who enters the debate will have to be prepared to fund that expertise, and therefore getting involved should not be taken lightly.  Ultimately my guess is that it will be the federation and possibly a co-operative of suppliers that do this.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

matt

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 11:58:51 pm »
Hi Matt,

I do believe you are becomming cynical in your old age!

Philip from the post, i guess you and craig are now " buddy'd up" with the FED now, otherwise why post this

I think it will be very long time before I "buddy up" with the federation, I dont mind telling you!  Why post this?  Because its what I think thats all!  Trevor and anyone else at the apwc doesnt have to listen to my opinion, because its just that, my opinion.

lets leave the name calling and mug slinging to the children eh
There was no mudslinging or namecalling matt, I 100% respect what Trevor and the APWC may be trying to achieve, but I do think that there should be a reasonable attitude about it, and I hope that anyone who does get involved in the consultation has the sense and maturity to know when he or she is going to be more of a hindrance than a help.

philip, cynical ?? me ??

we have been on here long enough to know posts are made to rubbish others, its all part and parcel, but this is serious and its effects window cleaners lives

the post looked like a advert for the FED, as if you rubbish the competion, then it makes the FED look good ( now i didnt expect to say that )

poleman

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 01:01:46 am »
So glad I am not involved with all the political bull poop any more  ::) ::) ::)

Andy

EasyClean

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 01:09:36 am »
If a water drought forced WFP users to revert back to (unfamiliar) traditional ladder work and their was a spate of fatal accidents involving the use of ladders would the HSE take any action enforcing the WAHR over the water companies enforcing the ban?
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 06:24:19 am »
I will ONLY act on the best interest of the INDUSTRY and the APWC
I like your spirit, and I believe you would.  Let me ask you this.  What would happen if what was best for the industry is not best for the APWC?  Just hypothetically, what if I was right, and the very best thing for the industry over this issue would be for The APWC to not be involved? Would you bow out?

You have your opinions regarding the APWC and thats your opinion. As an Association we are doing our best to understand and represent this industry and to stand up for what is best for EVERYONE, and NOT just our members, hence my posting on here to give people an opportunity who are not a member of any organisation an opportunity to have a say, what is the harm in that?

Instead of all this "who is doing what" routine it would be far more beneficial to ALL WINDOW CLEANERS and the INDUSTRY for the FED, BWCA, APWC and any other organisations to join hands, let each other know what their members and their feelings are regarding this issue and to present a JOINT response showing that our industry is united as one and will challenge potentially damaging proposals by government and alike!

Ah if only everthing in life was so clear cut eh?  I guarantee there will be times when what is best for the industry is not best for the APWC.

Take, for example, water-fed pole systems and the Fed.  Nearly everyone would agree that WFP is best for the industry, yes? When they were introduced, was WFP the best thing for the Fed? NOPE!  The fed sells traditional equipment, and is unable to fit water-fed pole systems. So in that case, what was best for the industry was not best for the Fed.  So what did they do? Did they embrace something that was of benefit for the industry even though it wasn't the best for them?  Before we judge them too harshly, let's wonder what would the APWC have done?  There are countless other examples.

Philip, for someone who professes to know so much about the APWC if am confused why you made the above point? The APWC does not SELL any products, isn't soley owned by any manufacturer and makes no revenue at all from the sale or recommendation of any product!! So therefore, if the industry was better represented by WFP or Traditional methods or both, as an association, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to us financially?? What we would do is look at what is involved and try and give, honest, un-biased advice based on what information we can gleam from available reasources? So in answer to your question above, the APWC would welcome any change within the industry that is making our working environment a safer place and we would like to try and help everyone, not just our members, be able to source these products at the most competitive price!

-Philip

I have answered the points you have raised and in conclusion feel this is now detracting from my original posting.

Regardless of what you do or don't believe the posting is there not for the benefit of cudous as an association but to give people on here, the most successful forum in the country, an opportunity to express their views regardless of what organisation they do or don't belong to?

I have 15 years experience in this industry, operate a successful window cleaning company as well as being a member of the FED, Clearchoice,APWC,FSB,Chamber of Commerce,Safecontractor so I am confident that my decisions I make are professional, responsible and accountable.

Please Philip, don't tar me with the same brush as others, you don't know me, have never met me and cannot judge me. I could start questioning your knowledge and industry awareness when you produce a window cleaning magazine packed full of information on Electric Razors, Swiss Army Knifes, Playstation 3 consules and glamour models??? I am sure you are doing your best and I respect that but as a professional I see no reason to start mud slinging.

In conclusion, the APWC will represent and always will represent their members and work towards to good of the industry. If any of the other organisations wish to share this information or work together on this proposal and maybe strengthen our case then feel free to contact me or the APWC.

If any window cleaner has a view they would like to share regarding the DEFRA proposal please let one of the organisation know. If we don't know what your wanting we can't take it forward on your behalf!

Best wishes,

Trevor
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 06:40:51 am »
Sorry to keep repeating myself.

If you get the chance push this grey water thing. How can operators collect rain water off the roof of their houses etc and get some kind of certification for working in this manner.

Remember, sustainability.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 06:42:05 am »
Sorry to keep repeating myself.

If you get the chance push this grey water thing. How can operators collect rain water off the roof of their houses etc and get some kind of certification for working in this manner.

Remember, sustainability.

Noted, Thank you
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Ian_Giles

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 06:43:24 am »

Ian

Sorry but I'm going to have to pull you up on that one - don't pick on another trade just because yours is being picked on - at least you have been asked to "consult".

Car Valeters as a rule do not use any more water than shiners.

Clean windows are also just cosmetic as well don't forget - just like lawns.

Phil

P.s. I wish my 650 Litre water tank filled up in 20 mins. - thats 2 days useage btw

Phil,
I'm not belittling other trades, a car valeter will use very little water to clean a car with and I see no reason why they shouldn't continue the same as window cleaners.
My point is a domestic hosepipe ban is effective and saves a vast amount of water.
I was trying to makes the point that in a town of ten or 12 thousand people, a dozen window cleaners (and a handful of car valeters) aren't going to make a ha'porth of difference.

12,000 people probably equate to what? 3 or 4 thousand houses? And something like 5 thousand cars?
It only takes a very small percentage of those numbers to totally dwarf the kind of water usage that window cleaners using WFP will use.

It is also a very different thing to stick a hosepipe straight from your outside tap into your water tank, if you have reasonable pressure it'll fill up in no time at all.

When connected to your R/O it fills up at a dribble!

It takes my 1000 litre tank at least 48 hours to fill up from empty!

If I put the hosepipe straight into it I can fill it up in under 30 minutes, well under in fact.

Thats what I mean...perspective!

Laywers can and will tie us all in knots of course (and make a fortune in the process >:()
But the bottom line is a handful of traders, be they window cleaners or car valeters are not going to make much of a difference.
How many leaks are there at any one time in a town?
I honestly have no idea, but we all know that something like 25% of our water is lost before it even reaches us.
Just one single leak can waste many tens of thousands of litres a day.

Perspective for gods sake!

We are tiny small fry, but a visible small fry, they'll clobber those in the danger areas and feel good because they've saved a fraction of a single percent of the water being used.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 09:16:05 am »
My further suggestions would be:
1. involve an academic, an enviromental researcher, or someone doing a PHD, this would make a very good subject. Ian's calculations, and calculations like them althought ball park correct need to be done properly.

2. Defra and or APWC could part fund/sponsor this research.The aim of it would be to see what percentage of an annual water usage by an operator could be fulfilled via drainage run off and recycling of other waters.

3. Practical designs to come out of this that operators could use. As an example if an operater spent £2000 they might be able to meet 30% of their water usage needs.Some might be able to reach 100%

4.Defra/APWC  to offer a 'grey water badge' to operators who meet certain criteria.This would go a long way to silencind critics of WFP on enviromental grounds.

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 09:21:35 am »
Sorry forgot.
5. Look for examples of best practice. In other words someone may be already doing this, get the details of how they do it and how much water is saved.

Philip Hanson

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 09:42:13 am »
Hi Trevor,

Again with respect, you actually have not answered the points at all, and you still seem to be regarding me with a level of hostility that I find puzzling.

The real point is, the apwc has hardly any members, no chairman and no money.  How can you purport to represent an industry in a such a situation?  That is the point that needs answering, and you are still ignoring it.

These are important points, because without members, you in fact dont represent anyone except yourself.  Without money, you will be unable to sustain the legal challenge when it becomes necessary, let alone any other action that becomes necessary to fund.  And without stable leadership, you will lack the direction needed in a complex situation such as this.  You can't claim to represent the industry just because you want to, you have to have the numbers to back it up!  I know that, DEFRA knows that, anyone in their right mind knows it!

What I'm saying is that if you try to get involved in the debate on this basis, you are likely to do more harm than good, as has happened in the past.

I also think you are totally misunderstanding what I am saying.  (Perhaps its my rambling way of posting, others have commented on that in the past!)

You have taken my example of water-fed poles and the fed, and completely missed the point.  The point I was trying to make is that, history tells us that on the occasion where what is best for the industry is not best for its association, the association will most likely act in its own interests above that of the industry (as happened fed have done with WFP).  I wasn't referring to the apwc, and I would have thought it would be pretty obvious that situation did not apply to the apwc.  I know you don't sell equipment!

(Ian Giles, steve lowe old friend, do you understand what I'm getting at here, or am I really not making sense?)

I have 15 years experience in this industry, operate a successful window cleaning company as well as being a member of the FED, Clearchoice,APWC,FSB,Chamber of Commerce,Safecontractor so I am confident that my decisions I make are professional, responsible and accountable.
Again, if you actually read what I have written, you would understand that I am not having a go at you, and I am sure that your motives and professionalism are not in question.  There has been no mudslinging, and I have been nothing but civil to you throughout this whole topic.

You seek to collect opinions by means of this forum, but I can tell you with a good degree of certainty this forum does not represent a fair cross-section of window cleaners.  Hardly any window cleaners I know use the internet and email, let alone forums.  In order to properly collect opinions, you would have to send out paper questionaires.

And there is the problem, to do even a simple exercise like mail out a few thousand questionaires to window cleaners takes money, and for that reason the apwc is unable to do it.

When DEFRA is finished being unimpressed by the number of members the APWC is claiming to represent, next they will question your data and how it was collected.  DEFRA isnt stupid, they arent about to make a policy decision with wide ranging implications without first ascertaining that the data its based on is reliable.  The question would go something like:

"As you are claiming to represent the industry, other than internet forums, what methods did you employ to collect the opinions of those window cleaners who do not use forums?"

Will you say "um, er, no we couldnt do that becasue actually we havent got any money"

This is what I mean about doing more harm than good.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 12:33:52 pm »
Philip,

In reference to your accusations of Debt, I would like to point out that at present the APWC has NO Outstanding debts and should there be a need of any financial investment required at now or at a future date we are suitably represented by both our sponsors and committee.

Please refrain from any further unjustified accusations.

Dave

matt

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 12:42:57 pm »

These are important points, because without members, you in fact dont represent anyone except yourself.  Without money, you will be unable to sustain the legal challenge when it becomes necessary, let alone any other action that becomes necessary to fund.  And without stable leadership, you will lack the direction needed in a complex situation such as this.  You can't claim to represent the industry just because you want to, you have to have the numbers to back it up!  I know that, DEFRA knows that, anyone in their right mind knows it!

who else will we look to represent US ( and i dont just mean ionics / omni customers or people who have been on some "course" or even some dinosaurs who last year seemed stuck in the 80's and were rubbishing WFP ) the whole of the industry, Trevor has said he will speak for the "industry" personally i dont think trevor has any other motives and i would prefere him to represent me than others who seem to have other idea's to just gain points over each other

matt

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 12:45:36 pm »
we need to show we will at least try and cut down on water

1. WFP only when needed ( upstairs )

2. use of grey water

or course, some people will not be happy with this, afterall they have a 800 L tank in the van and use that everyday, why should they change, the salesman promised them they could earn 250 quid a day