This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rob_Mac

Phil Hanson - Back pack wfp
« on: September 12, 2004, 11:01:50 pm »
Phil reading through previous topics saw that you had a wfp back pack system. Ive got a back pack sprayer ( big 25 litre italian thing with a pump arm and all brass connections - only cost 15 quid from boot sale).  Did you convert one of these, if so how easy.

Philip Hanson

Re: Phil Hanson - Back pack wfp
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 11:45:47 am »
Hi Robert.

The Backpack system I use is not a converted sprayer, though I did experiment with some ideas like that for a while.

The problem with a sprayer is that, although it is possible to get the pressure needed, you would need to pump it continually to maintain a good enough flow rate.  This is a problem because WFP needs two hands most of the time.

For this reason I abandoned the idea and built an electrically powered backpack system from scratch with the help of another forum member called Jeff.

Building the backpack was not as simple as you might imagine.  It took many months to get right, and there are still aspects of it that could do with imrovement.  I was told at the time that it would be an ongoing project, and that is exactly right.

Backpacks are great for the odd difficult task, especially where the site has restricted access.  But their problem is that the capacity is limited, only 10 Litres.  (Your sprayer holds 25 litres, the problem with having a tank that size is that when its electrically powered, there is also the weight of the pump and battery.  The battery especially is quite heavy)

I doubt that I'd be able to manage with 25 litres on my back all day.  Even after just a few hours use you feel the strain on your neck and shoulders.

If I'm honest, I like to have the pack in the van because it comes in handy, but I don't use it that much these days.  I have a trolley system now, and also whenever I can I pump the water directly from the van, as this is much easer.

Using a WFP can be hard work, especially if over 30ft.  Doing that also with a heavy backpack on takes weeks of practice.  Personally I would wait until you have a proper system, and have got used to using wfp before thinking about a backpack, rather than starting off with one.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Rob_Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:09:59 pm »
Thanks for that

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 10:46:42 pm »
Phil and Midas,

25 liters is much,much to too heavy for a back pack set up.  I recon half that ( 12 liters is too much although Jeff would probably disagree) I think Jeff is on about 9 liters maximum I think.

As an alternative to carring anything up to 25 liters as a back pack,I have a 75 liter trolley breaking it down to 25 liter containers which in turn can be used as an `electric bucket` or `handbag` as Jeff Brimble once had.

Whats carried on your back is just the carry frame, box that `houses` your pump,battery pack,remote reciever.  Without the water on your back ya don`t know its even there hardly!! I recon I`m operating the same as Phil these days if his last e,mail is anything to go by.

On average I recon I carry about 15 liters around to difficult out of the way windows. Its just like carring a normal bucket really. Whats gets tricky is if ya need a ladder to get somewhere first though. Carrying anything up to 25 liters up a ladder in a container plus ya back pack can be a `challenge.`  I`ve been advised more than once that I need a wing mirror//;!!!! laugh laugh.

Lewis  Doubtfire, Gleem Clean ( The Blade Runner )

L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 10:50:38 pm »
Lewis Doubtfire what is the trolley system used - havent seen one with three removable 25 litre containers

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 09:50:19 pm »
It`s my own `prototype` design.I find 50 liters sometimes is`nt quite enough,
100 and 125 liters can be too much.The back pack `mode` and electric bucket
`mode` is also very handy.Alas the cheap foreign imports by Argos have altered
the design of the tolley itself so going into production is a `no go`.
Putting pen and calculator to paper it would be approx double the cost of say the
A.P.S. trolley anyway although I feel ya do get more `bang for ya buck` thats  another
matter.Lastly Jeff Brimble got me fixed up with some smashing back pack straps from
somewhere,really comfortable.Apart from the water weight ya don`t know the back packs
there at all.

Lewis Doubtfire, Gleem Clean ( The Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner