Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

vangaurd

mayhem
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:48:36 pm »
just cleaned a carpet , for £30.00
the customers phone rung, customer told his friend , iam having my carpet cleaned, do u want the guy's number ?
his mate replied i can have my house ,and three piece, cleaned for £60.00
and they have a t/m come on own up who is doing this dasterly deed "
 :-X

bennymon

Re: mayhem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:10:16 pm »
£60 for a days work he may aswell sell the truck mount and get a job in mcdonalds ;) ;)

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:30:01 pm »
Well it's definitely not me ::)

*paul_moss

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:45:30 pm »
Its not Gunny, cos I know his price structure.

He would charge £79 for all that work  8) and do a fine good job too.  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

brights cleaning

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:05:10 pm »
why are you cleaning carpets for £30?

murky

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 07:07:42 pm »
Vanguard,

Ha! you were saying the other week that you were booked up for 3 weeks.

No wonder at £30.00.

chrisg

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:18:24 pm »
Brights,

Do you always go out and qoute for higher prices? or do you quote over phone?

only ive done both but going out does take alot of time and means running round like headless chicken when you got alot of work on.

vangaurd

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 08:55:27 pm »
£30.00 was for a crappy berber twist that would have cost about £60.00
i never turn away work , and your so royal
as they say from little acorns
well thats my lot never again will i post on here ,
adios friends farewell .

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 09:10:53 pm »
Let vanguard charge £30 it's his choice but £60 for all that lot!?! that is ridiculous, let them have it and let them tie themselves up with work for a day while you get the better customers.

Shaun

carpetguy

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:23:23 pm »
If someone walks away from all the work, they regard as" beneath them"because of what they see as low value, it's fortunate for the less well off in society, that there are others, with less of an ego, who are happy to carry out such work.

I would never call out, or use the service that charged the most, or buy my chemicals , etc from the most expensive supplier and I don't believe for a second that the operators who charge high prices, don't buy on price !

Call it what you like, but charging more, does'nt make you better and in some cases the business who charges less, shows a higher % of profit at the end of the day.

The lowest I'd have charged for a single carpet, would £35, assuming it's local and without complications.

AquaMagic

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 11:15:29 pm »
Any business regardless or trade, will allways look to do two things.

1. Increase Profit.
2. Decrease Costs

So we have to earn as much as we can, either by more bookings and/or charging more for our service.  We also have to get our running costs down, buying chemicals in bulk, or shopping round for deals, or converting the TM to LPG (not that ive done it), so id agree that i charge as much as i feel i can without losing to much work, but boy when it comes to spending something i shop around, and i do buy on price everytime to a certain degree that doesnt compromise the end result.  Common sense.

Dene

Matt Lindus

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:21:28 am »
I wouldn't fart for thirty quid. This is a hard hard physically devastating and damaging work for your body type of industry to work in.

What price do you put on gallons of sweat and muscular problems that may haunt you for the rest of your life. Not to mention travelling to and from, insurance, chemicals, wear and tear on machine...... the list is bl88y endless.
If the customer tells you that your too expensive, explain the above. If they still think you are too dear tell them politely to go and find a river and drown, not in them words of course. ;)

You would be a richer man staying in bed than running around for peanuts, breaking yourself slowly and wearing your equipment for disrespecting d**k heads.
You want a life and a future where you can relax and retire at a suitable age, not slave in poverty until you die. If you haven't got enough work at £150 per lounge, £200 per 3pcs suite to keep you going take a job anywhere (40hr) and try and get a couple of these priced jobs at a weekend.
Dont slog your guts out for £30 lounges it not worth it.

Just my opinion.

Matt

AJB

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:23 am »
It's all well and good charging high prices, but not all customers will pay this, there is a market out there for lower priced jobs, i spent 10 years subbing to 2 different companies.
They charged prices as low as 19.98 a lounge, we are talking, a few years ago.
 At these prices i used to bank each week about £1400 - £1800, allowing for holidays
£64000 a year, 10 years ago!!!
The second company had 4 subs and the boss turning over close to half a MILL a year,
 Doing the S**t jobs as some refer to.
For a low price job customers don't expect you to f**k about doing unnecessary things they just want a clean carpet. You can be in and out very quickly, have a satisfied customer who does come back. who does recommend you. Some would refer to this as splash and dash, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
 Each year at least 40% of the work, was repeat and referals.
I used to do about 1200 jobs a year, a hell of a lot of work, this would bring in on average 3 -4 recalls, usually for trivial things. And during that time i never had an insurance claim, and never bought anything off a customer, so i must have been doing something right.
But not being workshy i did not mind the high volume, i always said as long as i could cope with the high volume work, then i was happy to do it.
Now i'm at the age where i don't want quite that level of work, So being on my own, I still charge low prices, but now it's all mine and the taxmans, but i can afford to take longer over a job.
Chem Dry charge much higher prices than me and run around like blue ar*ed flys.
You cut your cloth accordingly. nobody is right nobody is wrong. what works for you is what is right. Too much Bulls*it is spouted about pricing, but if you can live and make a profit on what you charge then well done, you deserve all the success that you get.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

paul wright

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 02:43:40 am »
lol matt what u on ?   if u really think carpet cleaning is hard then u hav never ever had a hard job lol  its a stroll in the park imo  and is the most easy job i hav ever done , or u must be doing someting wrong, i only charge 30 for a lounge carpet and i be in and out 15-20 mins  and i would def not hav a sweat on lol  if u do just 2 of these in a hour thats 60 an hour mmm not bad  and i think i might just get outer bed for that  ::)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 07:44:25 am »
Hi Guys

In any market there will be a whole range of customers willing to pay a whole range of prices and a load of contractors willing to work for a whole range of prices.

Things like Corgi and other regulations distort the market by affecting supply.

In CC we have a free market.

Cheers

Doug

ianharper

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 08:03:07 am »
Doug

don't you think that those that charging high prices don't give a full service?

if i was paying a high price and i had all the facts about what was available from a carpet cleaner. i would expect. a service that included stain removal, stain protection and spillage call out all in the price.

if you look at some low and compare it with high price services the only difference is the level of knowledge and equipment which have no value to the customer.

in fact i would go as far to say that the low price has more value to the customer because its cheap.

Respect

Ian Harper

stevegunn

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 11:46:36 am »
Chill out people. I would clean it for £30 if I had no work whats the problem there would be no pre-vac or moving of furniture and this would be explained to the customer that for a little extra they could have the premium service.

What about this guy looks like he is down in London is it anyone off here?

http://www.cleanngone.co.uk/carpet/carpet_cleaning_prices.html
http://www.cleanngone.co.uk/one_year_warranty.html

The warranty is a good idea but £7 a room ::)

prodry

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:28 pm »
Steve, he comes up in most of london and essex on google when searching.

dont think his prices are to bad, he has min callout of £50 and to have a three bed semi done on his price list you would be looking at £160+. Do enough of them and pay staff to do it for you and you are quids in...

His price list is not to disimilar to our spalsh and dash co. and I can earn £400+ for each of my vans on a good day doing upto 7jobs.

We would still do a lounge for £30.00, our min is usually £45.00 but would still do it for that if it was easy access for the TM. Busy or not busy.

Doing low prices gets work. It is hard work and I have problems keeping staff or coping myself sometimes. Doing two or one high paid jobs a day would be great, but I would not have the client base I have now or the money I have now coming in. We do have a high end company that we trade under and it is hard work to get the customers. Anyone new to the business try to get high end will struglle unless they have a decent marketing spend and are prepared to build a name and a business, rather then just start up and start earning.

Anyway each to their own and to their own area. In my area Essex, they love cheap and the word free.

brights cleaning

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 08:58:51 pm »
i taylor my quotes to wherever im working so if i finish working about 2.30-3.30
 then i can do 3 or 4 qoutes and still be home between 5-6 pm
suits me fine
i used to run around like a headless chicken but found i was so knacked i came across as desperate to the client, now i take my time and make them wait if im not in that area
works for me

joey p

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 05:11:24 pm »
LOOKS LIKE PRODRY HAS A FEW FRIENDS WHO DELETE PEOPLES REPLIES, SO JUST SO EVERYONE GETS ANOTHER CHANCE TO SEE IT...

HEY PRODRY...WHY DO YOU TALK SO MUCH BULLS**T???

NOW I DONT SEE WHY THAT SHOULD BE DELETED, ITS A SIMPLE ENOUGH QUESTION, AND FOR A GUY THAT TALKS SO MUCH ****, IT SHOULD BE REAL EASY TO RESPOND TO. LETS FACE IT HE'S USUALLY PRETTY QUICK OFF THE MARK