Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

absolutecleaning

Best air freshener
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:19:30 pm »
We did a carpet (and spring) clean at some offices in a skip yard over the weekend.

Having gone back to do the first of the regular office cleans the entrance hall and stairwell smell very very damp even though the carpet is totally dried out.

Any ideas as to how we can get rid of the smell.  They cant simply vent the area as the yard is so dusty it will spoil the hall and stairwell

Re: Best air freshener
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 02:09:17 pm »
Are you sure the backing or underlay (if fitted) was not damp.  A damp smell only means one thing...there is damp!!!

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:26:23 pm »
If the cleaning has been carried out correctly, I suspect that the problem is with the building and not the cleaning. The source of the problem needs to be solved first or you'll be fighting a loosing battle.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 03:36:11 pm »
to slightly disagree with Ken if it didn't stink before you cleaned the carpets and it does stink now then  it can only be your cleaning, not the building. Covering the carpet with a perfume will only mask the problem.

put air-movers in overnight, if you can slightly open a couple of windows it will help (perhaps useing dehumidifiers would help).

in the end it needs completely drying out so you will have to vent the area
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Karl Wildey

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 11:31:35 am »
As stated damp smell usually means damp.
If a filthy carpet is not cleaned totally, ie remove all the dirt, its the wet dirt that gives off the bad smell, so once dry the wet dirt no longer smells. You can be on a losing battle if the carpet is filthy, so i would recommended masking the smell with a strong de-ordorizer. Hopefully by the time the de-oirdorizer has stopped working the carpet is dry and the smell has gone.

You get the same problem with flooded carpets. If you have clean water, people always mention the carpet will start to smell. Well sorry clean water does not smell its the dirt in the carpet which is now activated by the water that smells.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:09:38 pm »
as the other guy's have said, then give it a good squirt of NI712 "orange" the best odour eliminator i have ever used! cleansmart do it & hamilton international services. regards char

absolutecleaning

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:19:42 pm »
cheers for the advice

it obviously cant have been totally dry as when we went back on sunday all odours had gone!