Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

julesz

Sisal
« on: August 27, 2004, 05:01:17 pm »
Hi All. Just a query really. I have a 2nd hand huge Sisal carpet which has a bad watermark from a leaking pipe. This is soon to be refitted so i would like to clean it using water extraction. I realise this is not recommended and may skrink (?) but the carpet is far bigger than needed so hopefully will be ok.... Is this going to work?

Kirk_Saiger

Re: Sisal
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 05:23:58 pm »
Does the whole rug need to be cleaned or is the homeowner just concerned with the water marking?

The water marking is questionable due to the contents in the contaminated water, amount overflowed, time on the fibers, and home remedies.  

Regardless of the outcome, one needs to be reimbersed for ones time and effort.  First attempt would be to post spray with an acidic solution.  I have seen many use a solution of vinegar/water (hydroacetic acid) to remove the browning.  

Keep your pressure low and do extra dry passes when cleaning.  We will run something like Prochem All Fiber rinse through the system when extracting to remove the residue and prevent any future browning.  

Good luck.

julesz

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 05:29:58 pm »
Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Its my own carpet now. It belonged to my parents, who had a burst water pipe during the day, so theres a big stain, and no attempt to clean. They just claimed on the insurance.

paulchambers

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 05:58:53 pm »
Claim on your insurance now ;D

woodman

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 09:11:51 pm »
Hi

I suppose you've got nothing to lose by gving it go given the circumstances but,

It wont work on  sisal, if it is water stained then its there to stay, simply applying more moisture to this type of floor covering will only make the situation worse.After all thats why it was an insurance write off in the first place. ;)

Kirk_Saiger

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 04:36:26 pm »
Reason I mentioned wet acidic cleaning is we have had luck with it here in the states.  

Either it will remove it or clean the whole thing and make the color uniform where you can't see the water staining.  Basically water stain the whole thing.  

;)