This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Seers

window protection prior to rendering
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:39:45 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone offer the service of applying window protection to new build properties prior to rendering etc taking place? I've got a quote for doing 50 flats to get in by tomorrow.

The area is around 900m2 in total, I have approached one company who sells the product, which will cost me around £2k for the paint/protection and a further £1k for a spraying machine to apply protection.

Anyone got contact details/advice for other companies?

Cheers,

Huw.

martin19842

Re: window protection
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:09:21 pm »
HI THERE

why dont u use Protec, 8 x 4 sheets, of corrugated poly, cut and taped to the frames.  you then get frame and glass protection in a solid format .

ive seen what render does to glass and frames, both wood and upvc frames.

regards

martin

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »
hi there

have a look

http://www.indigoshop.co.uk/item--FLORBOARD®-Protection-Board-Fire-Retardant-8-X-4--correx-sheeting

regards

martin

Seers

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:38:59 pm »
hi martin,

It would still work out expensive as i'd need about two or three hundred sheets and would then have to cut each to size and fix in place. It would also probably leave gaps unprotected. And then you often end up having to remove the adhesive the tape leaves behind.

With the spray on protection you get total coverage and as long as you apply it properly it peels off ok too. The renderers make a hell of a mess over the windows, I was hoping to do a pretty professional job and then offer it to them at all their future sites.

Cheers,

Huw.

keith b

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:11:32 am »
Seerclean,

Whats the name of the company who is quoting you £2k for the product? and £1k for the sprayer?

Seers

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:28:56 pm »
Hi,

Their called sps protection, the product is protectapeel. I'm having trouble finding any other suppliers.

As it goes my initial guess at m2 was way too much, the area to be covered is more like 450m2 so I will only need half the amount of product.

Cheers,

Huw.

keith b

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 05:24:37 pm »
Hi huw, Yer ive seen there website, and it looks a good product,

I wonder if they manufacture the product or are contractors to spray it? or both?

Take a look at www.spraylat.co.uk, im sure they make it,  you could hire the spraying equipment for much less from HSS Hire and do it yourself for much less.

There is also a company in australia at www.protectawindow.com.au they would be worth checking out.

let us know how you get on!

Seers

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 06:35:37 pm »
hi keith,

Thanks for your help, I tried spraylat earlier today but no answer.

Sps protection sell the product and also have teams to apply it. I know this because by the end of the conversation I had with them yesterday they we're asking me for the name of the house builder and site name! They were also saying their two man teams can apply around 200m2 a day.

When applied properly it can work wonders, but we've had to deal with removing it in the past after the stuff was applied with a roller too thinly and it was a nightmare.

I wondered if the application machine could be sourced from elsewhere or whether it was a standard spraying machine.

Cheers,

Huw.

keith b

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:20:06 am »
Huw,

It probably needs to go on thick to avoid the difficulty in getting it off, Im pretty sure those sprayer guns work through either a portable compressed air tank, or a good commercial electric paint sprayer.

Best to contact your local spray pump suppliers for info, or get in touch with HSS hire and pick there brains.

I think spsprotection have exclusive distribution rights to sell Spraylat coatings in the UK

However I have found another company that produces those coatings - go to www.protectorglaze.com

trevor perry

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 12:03:29 pm »
TENSID supply a similar stuff you just paint onto glass then peel of when finished i have used it when chemically cleaning brickwork with power washer it stops the chemical damaging the glass, it is sold in 25ltr drums and goes a real long way cant remember the price but certainly a lot cheaper than you have been quoted.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

keith b

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »
Hi Trevor,

I ve tried to find it on Tensids website, but no luck, do you know what its called?? ???

trevor perry

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 05:16:18 pm »
i  also looked and couldnt find it if i go to office over weekend i will look at name and  email it to you.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Seers

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 05:42:15 pm »
I couldn't find tensids either. I've spoken to a guy at protectorglaze and it's a similar cost for their product too. But he does not recommend using a sprayer to apply the product, due to overspray and the gun clogging up all the time. Apparently when applied with a roller you get achieve a greater coverage, so you will need less product.

Cheers,

Huw.

trevor perry

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 07:14:12 pm »
keith b
 i have been to the office it wasnt TENSID that supplied the coating but a firm called NEOLITH chemicals which is part of the flowplant group i have looked on their website but cant find the product, on the can i have at the office it is called PROTECTIVE PEELABLE COATING and the phone number is 0121 525 9955 i hope this helps you find what your looking far.

Neil Mc Anulty

Re: window protection prior to rendering
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 09:03:13 pm »
Hi seerclean
I am an agent in Ireland for protectorglaze. Speak to Robert again he is very helpful and will provide you with initial training and ongoing support.

I run a builders initial clean service and offer the supply and application of the product. A great add on and very easy to work with.

If you want to email me with any further questions, feel free at nrcs@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

keith b

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 11:13:43 pm »
Thanks Trevor, I will investigate Neolith further!

Huw, Looking at both products and reading some of the info, I would be tempted to go for the spraylat product if its simular in price, due to it being sprayable and a quicker drying time!

Let us know what you end up with, and keep us posted, if thats ok with you!

cheers

Keith

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 08:46:10 am »
Keith
There are some frames that the peelable paint will take to and become part of. With rolling on protectorglaze you can control the product as youre applying it. I wouldnt like to spray the product in the wind, never mind the hassle of moving a spray machine about with you.
Dont forget you may have to walk over scaffolding (some incomplete) and sometimes make a temporary walkway on bare floorboards. A bucket and roller is much more manageable and will save time.

Cheers
neil

Seers

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 02:11:42 pm »
Hi Neil,

I spoke to Robert yesterday on the phone and he mentioned that his distributor in Ireland was a builders clean firm. I have already priced the job, but could you tell me what sort of price you would be looking for if you were doing the job?

It's around 50 flats, consisting of 3/4 small windows and a patio door per flat. Scaffolding is already up so access is no prob. If you want to email the details my address is huw@seerclean.com

Cheers,

Huw

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 02:37:40 pm »
I have sent you an email

Cheers

keith b

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 10:00:33 pm »
Hi Neil,

Are you saying that if you spray the spraylat product as opposed to using the roller on certain types of frames it can be become difficult to remove? is this because of the unreliability of spreading the coating because of different thicknesses? or is this applicable to different substrate its applied too?
What substrates is the product more difficult to remove from?

Please explain as you comment was a little unclear!

cheers
keith

P.S - I take your point on manovering a spray gun around, and the wind issue!