This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

Today I received a call from a pleasant enough lady who asked me to quote for the window cleaning of her property in Tintern.  Tintern is generally quite an affluent area and this lady sounded posh.

I told her I only do regular monthly cleans, which she agreed to; took directions and at the end of my day headed out to quote.

She specifically asked that I clean her PVC whites on her conservatory.

When I eventually found the property it was a lot smaller than what I thought it would be and there was a for sale sign outside. >:(

Her windows were filthy; really filthy.

I didn't speak to the lady, I just got in my car and drove off.  Do I really want to spend time trying to get a good price out of this customer when I'm only going to have her for 3 to 6 months?

Here's the house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6390135.rsp?pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

What would you do?

pylofm

Re: Quoting for properties that when you arrive, are up for sale!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 05:59:23 pm »
I suppose as I was there I would have had a look around and then thrown in a big price....just to see  ;D

Dave.

aztec

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:06:36 pm »
its a one off mate you can tell them a mile off leave her to it!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:10:31 pm »
I don't mind one offs at the moment myself, but it's only because I have gaps in my work. I price them very high though.  Once I fill my workload I will have to review whether or not I'm prepared to do them.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:33 pm »

It took a 30 minute round trip to view her property.

I guess I was a little bit cross, because during our phonecall we chatted about 'accents' and stuff; friendly banter; but she never mentioned she was selling her house.

JohnL

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 06:23:58 pm »
She may have just moved in and the agents have not taken the sign down yet!

;D
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Jon T.C.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:30:55 pm »
Hi Tosh,

I would have spoken to her and got the full story first and then decided on my price.

BTW Did your battery and charger come from varitech ?

Cheers Jon
Elite Cleaning Solutions

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 06:48:41 pm »
She may have just moved in and the agents have not taken the sign down yet!

;D

Normally they have a 'Sold STC' band put on them round here when that happens!

Jon TC.

Yes, the battery charger and battery were delivered no problems.  Cheers mate.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 06:59:37 pm »
Something odd about the estate agent's details: the first picture shows a bungalow, but the "outside" view shows a three story building ???

Personally I would have asked her if the house was really for sale, then said I don't usually take on jobs like that, but as I was there I would be prepared to do a "one off" for £XXX-XX (making it very expensive)

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 07:01:21 pm »
All my customers Know, that if they put a for sale sign up, I will only do it if they are home.

I have been bitten to many times by doing a house with a for sale sign up, do the Job and they move out before they pay up, so now I'll do it if there home.

If I arrived at your property Tosh I would Have gone in and priced it up a little, just for the first clean aspect, as already mentioned she may have just moved in.

If you want to break into the area give her a call and opologise for not turning up as your work over run.

Then ask her about her previous w/c this will get you into the topic of just moved in, or we haven't seen him for months sort of thing, at least you will know what game she may be playing, then you can make your decision  from there.

Just noticed your reply about STC, this isn't always the case with some estate agents.

simon knight

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 07:04:52 pm »
Sorry Tosh I can't see where you're coming from here: If you've made the effort to drive out you must need the extra work (don't we all!) so on that basis it seems silly not to at least quote her....ok if you figure it's a one off so you quote high wide and handsome (and she might tell you to pi$$ off)...but if she doesn't it's a nice little earner in yer sky rocket.

But mate...to drive off and waste the petrol??? This is sense??? Oi Vey!!!

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 07:17:17 pm »
Something odd about the estate agent's details: the first picture shows a bungalow, but the "outside" view shows a three story building ???

That's the view from the outside of her property! It's not 'her property', it's 'her view' ;D

I have been bitten to many times by doing a house with a for sale sign up, do the Job and they move out before they pay up, so now I'll do it if there home.

I've been 'bitten' too; but only by customers who rent their homes.  Normally those who're selling are really keen to have their windows cleaned, so I think your policy; Jeff; is a bit unfair here; especially if they have proven themselves to be good customers in the past.

Sorry Tosh I can't see where you're coming from here: If you've made the effort to drive out you must need the extra work

I only need better paying work.  Had this been a large account; not for sale; I'd've been game to take them on.  I'm 'full' when it comes to routine work; but not 'full' when it comes to quality work.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 07:20:45 pm »
Charge her double the normal + petrol,one off,s we don`t normally do unless it`s gonna be longterm and well worth it.Your better off looking for regular stuff i know you said your a bit low on work at the minute but try to use your time to get more work,sometimes these kind of customers can tell that you need the work chatting on the phone and all that,she might think your a nice bloke but don`t let her think your a mug.

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 07:34:13 pm »
I've been 'bitten' too; but only by customers who rent their homes.  Normally those who're selling are really keen to have their windows cleaned, so I think your policy; Jeff; is a bit unfair here; especially if they have proven themselves to be good customers in the past.

We all know are good and bad customers Tosh, but having lost £500 in my first year due to customers leaving without paying, Not one of them is going to get the chance again, even Loyal customers understand when this is explained, Once bitten twice shy sindrome applies to me here.

You may ask why did I loose £500 in my first year, here in Somerset, we have a lot of holiday homes and the owners come and go all the time.

Richy L

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 07:41:50 pm »
i'd take that on, just charge a lot, make sure its worth your while.
Its hard to give a good quote from those pictures, but say it would be £15 for a regular clean, times it by two for a one off = £30, Then add another £25 for frames. £30 + £25 = £55.
The two of you could get through it in an hour easy!

If you dont want it you've got my number tosh...... ;D

ac_cleaning

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:42 pm »
If it was a one off I would have priced the job high,and see what she said, but to drive off is time earning nothing.
al

Tosh

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 07:53:15 pm »
i'd take that on, just charge a lot, make sure its worth your while.
Its hard to give a good quote from those pictures, but say it would be £15 for a regular clean, times it by two for a one off = £30, Then add another £25 for frames. £30 + £25 = £55.
The two of you could get through it in an hour easy!

If you dont want it you've got my number tosh...... ;D

Rich, you've got her number mate; 689936, Mrs Wiseman; 3 Brookside (it's the first turning on the left (marked 'unsuitable for heavy vehicles') after the Cherry Tree Inn.

It's all yours.  Tell her the 'Geordie Jap' was too busy or something.  (She knows I'm a Geordie-Jap).  

Please let me/us know how you got on.  If you get 30 quid or more; then that's good; I reckon, but I can't be bothered with it.

Regards,

Tosh.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 08:41:21 pm »
i take these jobs on, for one because i still have room for more work, plus it could be on the market for six months, so thats six cleans to show her and her neighbours what a good job you do, she could keep you on at her next house, the new owner could keep you on, just explain to the customer that payment is required on completion of clean.
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

EasyClean

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 08:53:33 pm »
Tosh, I sympathise with you. I would have drove off without quoting too! Why bother charging double to spend ages doing an initial clean with little chance of seeing a return on future cleans. It always feel like the customer has pulled the wool over your eyes when they phone you and you discover the house is up for sale.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Bazzy1999

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 09:46:44 pm »
Every friday night i do a check on http://www.rightmove.co.uk/ to see if anyone is on the move and ive found a few that im keeping an eye on and once they are sold or under offer i just clean them when they are in or ill just leave them... so far ive been 1 step ahead of them..

Heres a few of mine ive still got my eye on..  ;D

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-14751292.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-11249570.rsp?pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-13919665.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Bazz....