This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

advanced

water board
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:07:23 pm »
Just had a potential buyer of my wfp system tell me that he had rung up the water board to find out about what would happen if there was a drought order. they said to him that he would be affected if there was a drought order this year.
You can imagine how annoyed i am, for some idiot at the water board to come out with that after everything that happened last year.
Just wanna see what other peoples feelings are on this.I feel like the whole value of my business is being affected by this.

AuRavelling79

Re: water board
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:11:50 pm »
A drought order is way more severe than a hosepipe ban.
It's a game of three halves!

advanced

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:16:08 pm »
i understand about the drought order being more severe than a hosepipe ban. its the fact that the drought order did get put into place last year but wfp users were allowed to carry on.
for the water board to then say that wfp users will have problems this year.

cybersye

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:22:19 pm »
from what i understand there are 3 phases to a drought order and it would need to go to phase 3 before a ban on window cleaning by wfp could be imposed, I could be wrong however.
I suppose if you ask an outright question like that to the water board that is the answer you can expect.
I'll be watching what happens closely being down on the south coast. I have a friend working for southern water and another for the environment agency, they are both warning of a hot dry summer and a severe drought maybe more severe than last year. Time will tell I guess.

advanced

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »
i see what your saying about the responce from the water board. but is it possible for them to stop wfp. what will happen to the people who have paid out for the system.
there was diccussion about how many other industries that use water last year, and if wfp is banned that they should get banned.

matt

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 11:22:39 pm »
drought order  ??? ??? ??? it hasnt stopped raining for 3 months

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:41:26 pm »
Beacuse we have new legislation for the use of ladders bought in by H&S we have to now clean windows other than by ladder i:e water fed poles.Because of this using water is now classed as being essential to our business so drought orders only effect business who do not need water essentially for their business.

http://www.nfmwgc.com/federation_news.htm

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:42:17 am »
from what i understand there are 3 phases to a drought order and it would need to go to phase 3 before a ban on window cleaning by wfp could be imposed, I could be wrong however.
I suppose if you ask an outright question like that to the water board that is the answer you can expect.
I'll be watching what happens closely being down on the south coast. I have a friend working for southern water and another for the environment agency, they are both warning of a hot dry summer and a severe drought maybe more severe than last year. Time will tell I guess.

There was indeed three phases to the drought order imposed by Sutton & East Surrey (the other companies never actually activated their drought orders).  However, the three phase system was not something they were legally obliged to do.  Although WFP would not have been banned until phase 3 (the last stage before standpipes), they could have wiped it out from the start of the drought order.  It might have been interesting to see a lot of WFPers in the area picketing their offices and rest tying up their phonelines with bogus calls but I'm glad it did not need to come to that.
In fact, three phases was a bit of a con really.  If you look at the wording of them, phase two was so miniscule in what it would have saved that a phase three would have been pretty soon after.  It was done to stifle opposition.  Once the order was granted, there was no mechanism to stop them moving from phase one to phase three in a matter of days.
I don't think that my suggestion for everyone to stay at the Sutton & East Surrey manager's house if we became homeless had any bearing on the decision   :)