Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Mc Anulty

Smoking ban letters
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:51:21 pm »
Any feedback appreciated. I want to put these out for the smoking ban

Cleaning Resource

Re: Smoking ban letters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:29:48 pm »
Good idea, nice flyer  ;D

let us know if it works ;D

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:38:50 pm »
Hi Neil

In the first para, I would state ......July (or whenever in NI) 2007, not ...later in 2007.

In the last paragraph, my own preference would be to change "...a certified cleaning technician" to ".....certified cleaning technicians" The former makes you sound like a small, insignificant one man band (no offence intended to anyone)

You spend a lot of time going on about the statistics, but little about your service. Also, cleaning carpets and upholstery will contribute towards the elimination of the mal-odour, but not 100% You need to phrase it in a way to cover yourself unless you're going to be cleaning the walls, ceilings, lights, gaming machines, bar front...........

I love the concept though.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

gwrightson

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:17:47 pm »
Ken,!!

Most of the companys I do work for , and domestics prefer one band bands , they like to know who they are dealing with , and who will be carrying out the work, in fact I go to the point of stressing to custys that I am  one man band.
Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

*paul_moss

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »
When does the ban kick in?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:46:44 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
When advertising carpets and upholstery I too stress the fact of being a one man band but the other services I would go for kens approach. However the other points, I will change.

Paul
It kicks in April 30th.

I wouldnt like to be a publican having the task of enforcing this, as we all know people can be difficult sober. What are they going to be like with copious amounts of alcohol.
I know when it kicked in down south the transition period was quite volatile but they seemed to get there after a while.

Cheers

carpetguy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 08:34:46 pm »
Regret to tell you gents, but the true effect, is the opposite................since the ban started up here, the outcome, has been a disaster for the pub trade, even the giant Wotherspoon type establishments have reported a huge DROP in business and at the last count, there were over 600 pub closures.

I don't drink or smoke, but I do sympathise for the people who've invested in their businesses and have lost the lot.

This is fact.............not being negative.

rob

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 08:37:35 pm »
Hi,
Intelligent composition and good leaflet.
 If sent undirected you may or may not get a response such as the Readers Digest get i.e somewhere about 2%.

If you target it as a letter , direct to an individual and follow up by a phone call . I think you could get a fantastic response. If you intend doing this, include a line such as ' I will ring you in the next few days to....etc....etc@
I hope you regard this imput as positive
regards
Eddie

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 09:16:34 pm »
As an owner/operator myself, I know what you are saying about many customers prefering that one to one personal service that we can offer.

If you are targeting a corporate body, in this case a brewery via the on-site manager, you need to come over in an almost "corporate way" to attract their interest.  When you then open the door and meet the decision maker face to face, it is then that you can sell your professionalism, expertise and utilise your USP's.
Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 09:22:16 pm »
carpetguy
I read JD Wetherspoons had reported an increase since they voluntarily introduced a smoking ban across their english chain stating they did lose smoking customers but gained more non smoking customers.

as far as Im aware the only pubs in the south of Ireland to lose business were on the border. They lost the wedding/christening/ birthdays customers etc. A few extra miles in the taxi didnt seem much for the privelige to smoke.

Eddie
It is intended as a target letter as opposed to flyer. Cheers

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:34:03 pm »
Ken
I agree with you, but Newry, although never been short of pubs and clubs, we are getting our first chain type pub very soon. Cant remember which one.
The rest are all owned by local(ish) people. But i think once one comes others will follow suit shortly.
An English owned pub in a nationalist town wouldnt have lasted too long a few years back (and i mean structurally)
but thankfully them days are getting more distant.
Cheers

carpetguy

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 10:00:04 pm »
Wotherspoons claimed, in the early days, to be unnaffected, but had to admit to a substantial loss of business, at the end of their tax year.

I don't want to report on this, but it's a fact and there are pubs closing, or already closed all over the country.

I live in a small town...........there were three busy pubs a year ago, now there is one and it's not busy anymore. Likewise in the nearest town, where there are currently around a dozen pubs, for sale/lease, or closed completely.

Last I heard, there were over 600 closures in the past year.

Bear in mind Scotland only represents 10% of the UK, so that would equate to around 6000 pubs in England, assuming the same pattern of behaviour, which is extremely likely.

The mainstay of the pub regulars, are the smokers. We have looked very closely at the market over the past year, as we were seriously considering investing in the Licenced Trade, but there is no chance of us doing so, now.

Nonetheless................the clubs are less affected, as apparently, the younger people prefer to take " other peoples medication "...............WEIRD OR WHAT ............rather than smoke, but they don't spend much time in pubs.

So there is still a lot of business to be had from clubs and resturants, etc,.....................if you can wrest it away from existing contractors.

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 11:49:17 pm »
The smoking ban is in force here for a few years now I suppose. Country pubs, and pubs in small towns and villages are closing one by one and the ones that are still open are not selling very much drink. People blame the smoking ban but I think the biggest cause of the decline is the more rigirous enforcing of the drink driving laws.
All in all a big change from what was the pub scene of say ten or fifteen years ago. As a non drinker myself I never really had much interest in pub work anyway but I never turned down any work from pubs which came my way, thankfully most of my work is domestic at the moment

john rees

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 08:03:41 am »
Hi paul,
            The ban in wales is starting on april the 2nd!

All the best
                                       John
john

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 08:08:49 am »
Mr Neil,

Would you please be so kind as to post this document in 'the documents to  download section' as it will help others on this site who would do a search there first.

Kind regards,

Sarah
Sarah

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 08:34:43 am »
No problem sarah

Cheers

paul bruce

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 10:04:52 am »
Yes agree it is the pubs in the smaller communities that are closing.City centre pubs are ok because smokers can have a cigarette in between pubs so the big pub chains will prosper and the independents will disappear resulting in a smaller market for the cleaning industry.
Out of interest i have just spent the weekend in Ambleside, lake district, the bar in my hotel was the only no smoking one in town and was empty ,the rest were packed.I doubt very much there are millions of non smokers waiting in the wings going to take the place of the millions of smokers who stop going to pub regardless of any surveys.I am a very light smoker of 3-4 per day and i will not be going to pubs again, i think non smokers underestimate the problems that lie ahead ,dont buy pub related shares.

Robert Watson

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 06:11:09 pm »
I very seldom go to pubs now. We have had it for about a year now.
Saving me a fortune. People are tending to drink in the house more, where you can do what you like.
I kind of think it will lead to more people getting themselves drinking habits.
Rab
Wheres that can now?
Cheers.
The Kitchen Door Centre

conallon

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 06:43:12 pm »
A publican friend of mine/customer as took a lease on one of the worthington style pubs

the brewery is spending £30,000 on beer garden smoking facileties !!!!

i think this tells a story, anybody who knows Hull, its the Old Zoological

Conrad

paul bruce

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 09:20:18 am »
Because of all the hype more younger people seem to be taking up smoking.
Its the old adage the more your told not to do something the more your going to do it. Nanny state !