Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

vangaurd

carpet guy
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:12:06 am »
i   trained through service master so i dont think iam as green as you think
all iam say ing  is that the carpet in question did not give the results
i expected and the vacs are not as powerful enough  , yes i presprayed with lifftoff agitated left for 10mins and hot water extracted
and the carpet was still grubby
and plenty of passes many thanks.

stevegunn

Re: carpet guy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:37:57 am »
Well there's your problem trained by servicemaster.Who say's servicemaster are the best  ???

ianharper

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:56:38 am »
with respects to all

its not about training its about experience

one big problem that i found with fast track was these guys have all the experience build their businesses up to big turnovers and put out a marketing message about how to choose a professional carpet cleaner.

then they go out drag some guys off the street give his a week or two on job training send him a course or two, and expect their customers to be ok with this.

all their PR about "splash and Dash" is BS

I was on a woolsafe course at servicemaster HQ and I ask so of their guys about how they train their staff and its just basic stuff for about a week or so. this is not to say that the owners don't know what they are doing. but there is no plan for giving the experience needed at the high end of the market.

I for one charged a lots less when i started and was not giving as good as service as i do now, or know as much.

at the end of the day its their business and their risk.

BTW the comments about servicemaster have not stopped me thinking about saving for a franchise. but i would do thing different.

By the sounds of things homeserve will find out soon about this issue. if they shaft their chemdry franchise owners. these owners are doing a great job and if homeserve think that hourly paid workers or any other system is better for business i think they will lose a lot of the insurance work they do. work ethic is just not the same.

Respect

Ian Harper

vangaurd

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:25:48 am »
oh well i suppose thats me hung out to dry!
thanks for all the comments  :'(

ianharper

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:44:39 am »
Vangaurd

My comments are about training and not personal to anyone.

Just see an opportunity to make a comment about so called high end service providers selling one thing and giving their customers something else,

as you know prospects buy from franchises for a reason. and as for fast track guys i just think that they don't want to take step back to take step forwards. and have you noticed how most are one truck businesses. says something about the idea. nothing wrong with the marketing Robert is letting them and himself down by not be able to provide the answer to taking their businesses to the next level.

respect to you my friend

Ian

heritagecleaning

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:35:22 am »
This thread raises interesting questions for me. I have zero experience. I am on April's NCCA course and am then pretty much hoping to be out there cleaning people's carpets.

Should I be doing something else? Obviously I can't buy experience, so I'm just getting what I condiser to be the best training and the best equipment I can afford (Speedster) and then hoping I learn as I go.

What else can you do?

Owen

Adam Young

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:06:22 pm »
Hi Owen,

My name is Adam and I decided to go into carpet and upholstery cleaning last year. I came up with the idea in Feb 2006. I did the NCCA course in July and Started TECHNICLEAN in September. There are not a lot of us pro's in Scotland, but the few that are, work together for our industry to the highest possible standard!

Do the course, listen to Paul and Pauwlo and you will learn a lot. These guys are very talented and experiened, Massive respect.

You sound to me that you are focused about this, Do the course, enjoy, and do some family's carpets and suites first, you'll be OK.

by the way in my previous job I was a Senior scientist. However this is not rocket science and as long as you follow the NCCA route you will not go far wrong!!!

All the best in your new venture,

Adam.
NCCA Member 1630

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:32:46 pm »
Tony, thats 2 posts in a week where you have said that you didn't get a good result with Lift Off, does that not tell you something?

ianharper

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 01:04:20 pm »
guys

you have to start somewhere. and courses like NCCA are a very good start. and the fact you have this forum to use will help you.

my point is the business that promote or tell customer they have been trading for years and then send in someone that is new when asked.

people buy from some type of business because they expect a level off service or risk. that does not mean that low price equals risky service.

good luck guys

respect

Ian harper

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 02:24:43 pm »
Although you get a lot of training on Fast Track I sometimes wonder if its a lot to take in in a short space of time. My thoughts looking at the timetable.

some people are recruited who are new to the industry so they do not have experience, just as people who buy into a Franchise are often newcomers.

But the you get Financial consultants who do a short training course.

So I Guess you have to start somewhere.

Ian

Adam Young

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 02:54:47 pm »
I would rate it as P1shtrack

NCCA 1630, Get a life!

Adam.
NCCA Member 1630

carpetguy

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 05:28:53 pm »
Now that's really PROFESSIONAL Adam and I have been in the cleaning industry in the West of Scotland, for over 2 decades, but, apart from helping a couple of start ups and attending IICRC and other training courses  / demos, seminars, have never found the the pulling together, you refer to, among the REAL PRO'S..

There has been a complete lack of support, which has stopped trade shows and seminars, etc, which is a pity, because we used to enjoy the same support, as our those in England.

I recognise your name, not sure, where from.

What exactly do you know about marketing and how much do you really think you've learned, in a few short months.

ianharper

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:43 pm »
guys

I would like to make my point clear "fast track" is good but it stops short of what it could be as far as business building. marketing is spot on but its more than just that.

i think it would give more people confindance if they where lots of members that run multivan businesses. as this would be a testimonial to its success.

its a big step from being self employed to having people work for you.

starting with training the new staff to coming off the van and starting to build your business.

big difference

just think about it you would have to first have someone with you for some time learning the ropes and attending all the courses. then when when the time come letting them out on their own. now are you going to check the work they do or not? this would be you working less and a loss off income on your van.

that's the big step. sometimes busineess get to a place where you are earning very good money and look at stepping forwards but when you really look at it you know it means stepping back to do it.

that's why i think many don't do it. pity as i think the UK could have a lot more independent cleaners with multivans if a few more did it. i think it is this that will lift carpet cleaning in the UK to the place that it is in the USA.

as things are i don't think that we have any competition in the UK. anyways i don't feel it.

how many time are you up against other cleaners when you quote?

Respect

Ian Harper

Matt Read

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 07:14:20 pm »
No competition on quotes sounds good to me  ;D we don't need multi van business'  ;)
Matt

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 07:49:15 pm »
Depends on what you want out of life. Graft your b******s off for a resonably good living or have other people doing the work and reaping the rewards.

Liahona

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:22:26 am »
John, well said that man!!!!!! Best, Dave.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:38:31 am »
No Competion I am moving back to Essex ;D ;D ;D

Ian perhaps you mean that youre marketing is so good by the time you call the customer has decided they are going to use your company.

From what I understand it is more usual to have your carpets xleaned in the USA., =  Multi Van operations.
I think there are more in UK than you realise, I do not think they bother posting on Forums

ianharper

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 04:24:44 pm »
ian

possably there are more than we think. I know one local to me with three vans.

you would expect to see there staff on training courses when you attend one. mostly it just self employed guys.

Respect

Ian harper

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 07:58:21 am »
Ian,

I know what you are saying. Not having filled in The NCCA upholstery exam yet I can not be sure but I thought I read that from this year your staff had to do NCCA training in order to remain a member.

Up until now that had not been a requirement, so perhaps you will come across more muti van operators on training courses in the future.

When you first sold your truckmount I thought you had a good basis for a Multi Van operation making use of your Maid Service Staff.

Personally I think you are well placed to achieve this.

I think Howard Partridge has Modules on Multi Van Operation but at £140 aprox each I think you could work it out the information and methods for yourself.

It comes down to drive which you appear to have Ian

Good Luck

Ian