Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Robert Watson

Pile Direction
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:12:07 pm »
Hi Guys,
I'm having a carpet fitted on Monday.
I told the retailer that I wanted the pile running from the window so as to reflect the light across the carpet, not to mention chattering when cleaning, He said they usually run the pile the other way  :-\.
The Kitchen Door Centre

Dean Scandrette (carpetpros)

Re: Pile Direction
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:50:17 pm »
The pile of any carpet is fitted so it is laying towards the door entrance or towards you as you walk in a room. This is so that you get the true colour of the carpet.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:50:52 pm »
I do carpet fitting as well. I run the pile away from the main source of light if possible, however there is a good argument for running it facing you, as enter the room and proceed in most common direction. If  both criteria apply, then thats ideal.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Steve Chapman

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:51:36 pm »
a carpet fitter i spoke to recently said they always run the pile from the doorway so it does lift up when people walk in the room.

regards
steve

Robert Watson

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:57:44 pm »
If the doorway is facing the shortest length (weft)
Surly you would run from the window.
The Kitchen Door Centre

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 05:59:39 pm »
a carpet fitter i spoke to recently said they always run the pile from the doorway so it does lift up when people walk in the room.

regards
steve

Why should a carpet lift up when you walk in a room. If it's proparly secured using latex or spray adhesive between the gripper and tread, and its tucked down properly then that shouldn't happen. Most fitters these days just throw them down anyhow so it wouldn't surprise me.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
If the doorway is facing the shortest length (weft)
Surly you would run from the window.

All depends on the width of the carpet, but generally the pile is run facing towards you as you would walk in a room, as I say, to get the true colour. If you observe your carpet with the pile leaning away from you it is much lighter and not the true colour.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 08:47:18 pm »
sorry, i was talking about lifting the pile as if you were walking into the pile as opposed to the same direction it runs. (not the actual carpet)

I don't know whether this is so just stating what a fitter was saying when fitting my carpet a few days ago.

regards
steve