Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paulchambers

My first hotel quote
« on: July 29, 2004, 11:04:08 pm »
A hotel  i quoted for carpet cleaning has rang and told me they have a budget to stick to and can i drop my prices.  Though i need the work i said no sorry i believe i gave them a fair price. They then said that i am 5 times higher than the chap last year.  I pointed out that they werent happy with him due to quick resoiling. I will stand my ground i have offered a free carpet clean to show them what i can do , but 5 times higher seems a lot

Mark Betts

Re: My first hotel quote
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 11:31:24 pm »
Paul

What was your price again?

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

paulchambers

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:49:41 pm »
.30p a sq ft total was £2600 ish

PeterH

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 12:06:23 am »
Paul,

30p sq ft for hotels is very high in my experience.  They are notoriously tight.  Also you will need helpers if you get the job as there's loads of bucket work if you use portables.
Truck mounts are very suited to this type of volume work, not that I have one myself.

Ta,
Peter

paulchambers

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 12:19:43 am »
Yes i thought about the bucket thing its a big job if they dont want to pay they can call the cowboys in. i estimate it was going to be about £35 an hour so price is reasonable . They charge £85 for b & b per person and are fully booked with a 100 rooms evening meal £22 and lunch £12.50 if they want to be tight so be it but i dont believe in dropping prices especially with the amount of work .

PeterH

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 12:51:43 am »
Paul,

Why not team up with another carpet cleaner and try to find a couple of helpers for the buckets.

Your productivity will go way up which will mean that you can lower your price and still make a good rate per hour.

I used to do this in central London with another cleaner ( we were both Proclean members - same machines and chemicals ) and it worked OK.

By the way, I used to stay in B & Bs in Penzance for less than £20 a night.  Alright this was 10 years ago but the place your talking about must be 5 star!

Ta,
Peter

Mark Betts

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 01:32:08 am »
Paul

I agree, too high for the amount of carpet involved.

With commercial eg large areas you will find you can work quicker than say in a residential setting thus your "hourly rate" will be higher.

Go in at a little lower price, mind you 5 times lower is a bit too low  ??? ??? ???

Work it out at say 20p sq ft or something and I bet you still hit £35 an hour.

Mark

Or

Another thought, how many days do you think it would take you?  Then work out how much a day you want to earn.

A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 01:34:45 am »
Paul,

£2.70 a square yard is a high quote for this type of work.

I think you could work for half this and still do £200-£300 per day which would not be too bad for someone who needs the work. ;)

Try negotiating on the basis that the the last guy was'nt very good and you are much better BUT as a gesture of goodwill you are prepared to go half way.

Good luck,

Doug