Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ivar_Haglund

Chemical sensitivity over time
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:15:46 am »
Some things I have noticed

some chemicals i was able to use years ago

will almost give me asthma attack today.

the worst is sodiummetabysulfate

butlals

and some enzymes I hear are not so good for you either.

IVAR

:P

Ed Valentine

Re: Chemical sensitivity over time
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 06:26:32 pm »
Ivar;

Buytals and enzymes are most definitely, bad for the operator, period. In fact, we will not have anything to do with those agents within our plant. Not worth it. And, I suggest that if you are using these ingredients, please think of an alternative.

Instead, (I would hope) it forces manufacturers to provide alternative products that are much safer and much better. There is absolutely no reason why there can not be effective subsistutes.

Good Fortune ;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:10:58 pm »
Ivar,
I too suffer bad reactions to a lot of chemicals these days after 25 years cleaning. In fact I am awaiting a scan, following a quite accidental discovery that I am producing abnormally high Liver Enzymes and am mildly anemic. I follow a highly active outdoor lifestyle when not working, and this leads me to firmly believe that these findings are the result of long term exposure to cleaning solutions. (I will find out soon, hopefully).
One of my clients now in his sixties and still running his small bath manufacturing business has had similar problems due to long term exposure to the chemicals in his operations. His consultant explained that it was like a barrel slowly filling up with water - everything is fine until it overflows - after that even a small amount will cause it overflow again. He is so bad now that his wife cannot have any form of fragrance in the house and fell into a heavy sleep, whilst a guest at a friends for dinner, after visiting the perfume smelling bathroom.
Food for thought.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Harry

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 10:22:52 pm »
There's been many cases of long time carpet cleaners in North America who died relatively young of cancer. No-one has made any connections to their work but who knows.
I think there's lot to be said for applying pre-spray from a tank, mounted on a scrubber vs spraying which allows more chems into the 'breathing zone".  Also doing more "in-plant' cleaning can be a big marketing plus to the sensitive in our towns.  We wouldn't want to be killing off our customer base either now would we?
Leatherwright Seminars