Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Harry

"On site" vs "in plant" furniture cleaning
« on: July 24, 2004, 07:29:11 pm »
How many of you clean furniture at your shop rather than in the clients home ?

How many of you are comfortable using dry solvents in a customers home?

How many of you turn down challenging situations because you only clean, in-house ? ie white cotton or cotton/poly blend, 10 yrs old never cleaned or  silk, rayon etc ?

Leatherwright Seminars

Derek

Re: "On site" vs "in plant" fu
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:18:50 pm »
Harry

I have in the past taken items back to a workshop to clean and would still do so if it was a reclamation/resurrection clean after a fire etc. The costs of transporting a three piece suite for example would incur the costs of vehicle, two people to handle the items, storage, cleaning and returning the said items to the customer.

This is probably why most cleaning is done on-site.

Dry cleaning... I haven't dry cleaned an item of furniture in years...providing you know what you are doing 'most' fabrics can be wet cleaned satisfactorily...there are exceptions such as unbleached linen, viscose pile fabrics and one or two others besides....fortunately they are in the minority

Derek

Harry

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 07:04:45 am »
I realize there's an extra cost but we charge nearly triple for "in plant" cleaning and we find very little resistance from customers with these difficult situations.
There is the added benefit of always having work to be done whenever there's a gap or a cancelation for one of our crews.

Leatherwright Seminars

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 03:35:50 pm »
I can see no reason for taking a suite away to be cleaned,

Harry are you saying the customer will get a better job if they allow you to take it away, if not then to charge  almost triple for in-plant cleaning does'nt seem right.

why put the customer through the inconveniance of not having a suite just so your workers have something to do in slack periods, again this does'nt seem right to me.

I noticed you're into leather, is this in-plant cleaning just for leather or all fabrics

Derek you say you hav'nt dry cleaned a suite in years, how many have you walked away from because the could'nt be wet cleaned?

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Dynafoam

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 03:54:54 pm »
Harry,

I totally agree with Mike in respect of fabric suites. In 39 years I have never taken away a suite for cleaning.

I have taken an individual cushion for stain treatment whilst cleaning another customers' suite but to remove an entire suite seems an unecessary escalation of cost.

Like Derek I have not dry-cleaned a suite for a couple of years, but would do on-site if required.

John.

Derek

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 06:51:23 pm »
Mike

I can honestly say that I haven't walked away from cleaning a suite although I did refuse to clean two sofas after the chair went a funny colour a few years ago.

Managed to reverse the reaction on an unbleached linen fabric and the chair was restored and clean... customer couldn't understand why I refused... The fabric was subsequently proved to be unfit for purpose.

Like John if you do take an item away then you are in control throughout the whole process.... yes I do take items away ...I have a cushion (part of a large suite)  at the moment I am 'playing' about with...ironically it may have to be dry cleaned

Cheers
Derek

Harry

Re: "On site" vs "in plant" cleaning
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 07:27:26 pm »
I do this for both fabrics and for Leather suites needing restoration as opposed to just cleaning. Only 5% of our leather jobs involve cleaning alone.

We do not do this in order to give our techs something to do in slack times - that's just a side benefit.  Often this is done when the customer is going to away on vacation and most have more than one sitting area.
Cost of transportation is minimal, I have a low platform moving van with ramp and we pick and return rugs, fabric and leather furniture - about $1,200 worth per day. With good planning and routing, (which in UK may be impossible) costs are low.

Maybe, I am not as smart as all you folks but I've seldom if ever come across a white or off-white, never cleaned in 7yrs +  natural fibre suite that I could not get far superior results with 2-3 cleanings than one, especially in heavily soiled areas.  Plant cleaning has many benefits:
I have at my plant much better;
Distilled water for silk cleaning - which I would never do "on-site'.
Temperature and humidity control.
Air movement and lighting - I have three different types of light source.
Access to all my tools and chems - smelly, offensive or otherwise.
Vapour steamers, air compressors, irons and safe plastic drying racks for cushions.
Lower set-up times as everything is right there.
We have 18 inch high rolling platforms to place the furniture on, that makes for far less back-strain  and allows for easily utilizing direct sunshine for very rapid drying situations. 
No re-services or complaints - ever.
No claims for replacing damaged furniture - ever.
Much better control by management on every job.

And above all "time".....
Time the most important and least utilized element of the cleaning pie, makes for a more thorough testing protocol and better chemical action allowing gentler, more time consuming and safer methods.  
I also get to see the results when completely dry and can re-clean as necessary. When dry-cleaning, I have a negative air cleaning location ( with an exhaust fan) for my own, my staff's, my customers, their pets and ashmatic/allergic children's health and safety.  Did you know you can easily kill a parrot by spraying Teflon or Scotchgard in a house?
Final benefit is that the customer only sees the "before" when we remove the suite and the "after" when it is returned, all nicely shrink wrapped and looking "as good as new".  Great presentation value. Every suite is photgraphed before and after and e-mailed to the customer. Again great for referrals.  For jobs that go well, they don't see how quickly it went or how easy a pro can make it look to do. In Plant work has a much higher peceived value.

This truly separates us from the rest and results in a vastly superior referral rate. They never see any "oops", like browning or wicking which greatly lower their view of your professionalism even though  you return to "fix" it.
It also renders a higher profit margin which is the point of the exercise.   ;D
We do clean synthetics on site and though the challenging situations in furniture are the minority, we have a monopoly on doing them here and so keep busy without difficulty, year round. Lots of your good cutomers may well be in Spain or the Swiss Apls in your slow time ?
Your thoughts please.

ps, ask yourself - out of, "on-site" cleaning or "in-plant" cleaning of rugs, which is superior ?
Both technically and by perception.
Are you really providing the "best possible" or "second rate" by cleaning "on-site" ?
Leatherwright Seminars

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 08:41:53 pm »
Well Harry you've convinced me!

I think tommorow I'll be looking for premises. Will  1000sq/ft  be be big enough? ;) ;)

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Harry

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 10:36:35 pm »
Mike, that was way too easy!!   :)

I imagine property prices and rents are much higher for you than for me.  I have 2,000 sq ft but most of that is for a rug wash pit & drying rack,  even an empty garage would suffice for furniture.

here you can see about half of the leather furniture, we had at the time ( two on platforms ), an inflatable wash pit, rug drying rack is overhead - one rug can be seen hanging and the chemical supply shelf,  dehumidifier and cushion drying rack shown in the background.

Shown here is how we can thoroughly clean crevices and buttons, then use compressed air for fast drying.

Here is an overview of the drying rack area.
Leatherwright Seminars

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 09:02:50 am »
I am impressed but how did you manage to grow your bussiness to generate that much work.  Is your plant always full.

dunny19

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 02:04:44 pm »
hi harry
as im new to the game, and eager to learn, is there any chance of a visit to your site, never seen anything like it before

Harry

junkRe: "On site" vs "in plant" New
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 06:27:55 pm »
Ian,  Yes it's always full to overflowing, will have to build an addition.  We don't advertize...mostly repeat and referral or claims.

1st,  I am an info and education junkie. Became the only Certified Senior Carpet Inspector around here. Learned to do many things that most CC'ers around here said "couldn't be done" and thus became the "go to guy" for Insurance Companys, Carpet retailers, Interior designers, moving Companys and property managers. Take lots of classes...it's not just the Instructor, you'll learn from !!

eg, In Los Angeles, one chap, I now buy spotters from and teach for, built his cleaning biz from one truck to 20 in 4yrs (way too much headache for me) simply by having the highest success rate on restoring carpet in rented flats....stains, odours, burns and bleach damage and thus got all the cleaning work, too.  My town here is Canada is only 650,000 and I'm small potatoes. Later I'll post some pictures of huge US facilities. I visit (with camera, a tremendous memory aid) every chance I get.

2nd. Keep an open mind and question everything. Insist on ever higher standards and different approaches.
Find a niche, find lots of niches. It's so easy to get in a rut.  Don't be a one method guy, just copying most of your peers. Used to be that food dye stains couldn't be removed & many will still tell you that mustard and wood stains can't be removed (synthetic carpet).
Don't laugh at low moisture or powder cleaning...every tool is useful sometimes.

3rd,  Always try to think about your business from the point of view of a well educated, 40-60 yr old woman, if that's your target. We tend to focus too much on, rpm, cfi, temp, water lift etc and too little on how we present ourselves. By all means talk and share with your peers but also listen very carefully to your aunt.  It matters not if it's logical. What we do is very emotional and very few business men spend any time in a womens nest, but we do, constantly. Can you imagine any guy using a tape measure to exactly determine placement of a sofa in a room ?

4/ Look, walk, sound like and BE professional. Visit textile and carpet  Mills, go talk to any university or testing lab folks that teach anything related to what we do. Most will be happy to talk to you. Learn the proper terminology, pronounced correctly, practice til it just rolls off your tongue. No-one else does it ? Good !
Dunny, you're welcome anytime as is everyone.  Try to visit as many of your peers as you can. You just never know what will come up and slap you in the face. ;D

Hope that helps.  I wasted too many years copying and drifting aimlessly
Leatherwright Seminars