This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steadyeddy

Window glass scratch remover
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:38:53 pm »
Hi

I have a new customer who has few faint scratches on his kitchen windows. He has asked me if there is anything you can get  to remove them.  

Cheers

Steve

replacement

Re: Window glass scratch remover
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:01:52 pm »

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 10:36:42 pm »
Phew :-/ A bit dear is an understatement Justin :o
Reckon steve will be better off replacing the glazing for his customer, it'll be miles cheaper!
You can get stuff that a jeweller uses I have heard, but the labour involved in getting scratches out of glass is high. You could probably replace the glass for less :-[

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

WavieDavie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 02:33:46 am »
Would your customer entertain the idea of getting some of these plastic stick-ons which look like stained glass?

I think they're quite naff, but certainly the cheapest way of hiding the scratches.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

dean stewart

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 02:02:06 am »
Just a word of caution I also tried the stuff that jewellers use it's called 'jewellers rouge' and it is absolute rubbish.  It may be fine for delicate items but certainly not a good idea for domestic double glazed units
We blossom in the Garden of England

WavieDavie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 03:12:43 am »
Dean,

What results did you get from what method?

I've used it in the past for getting rid of concrete cancer (minerals deposited by rainwater coming down the building and going on the glass), but that was before I knew about MDR.

I was told to moisten an old scrim and dip it in the rouge, then apply to the glass and rub over the waterstain, the moistness of the scrim made it into a paste.  There's no way jeweller's rouge will take out scratches - it's used as a polish, similar theory to T-Cut for paintwork on your motor - if you can hear your nail going over a scratch on the glass it's beyond repair. Unless you use the "StoppedScratchedGlass" website machinery, which looks likely to be dearer than replacing the pane.

I still recommend the plastic stick-ons!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

dean stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 08:00:55 pm »
Someone told me that the jewellers rouge would get scratches out of the glass.  I used a lambskin buffer on the end of a drill with the rouge applied to the buffer.  This had no effect at all.  Could have been there all day.
We blossom in the Garden of England