This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nat1

Shower screens
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:10:53 pm »
Hi, as anyone got any advice on cleaning shower screens?, Im having a little trouble with 1 of my domestic cleans's, she's not too happy with the finish, & I must admit I don't blame her, it is soap skum marked, tried numerous things (ie) window/glass cleaner, soap scum remover, vinegar too name but a few!, would really appreciate some advice, many thanks Nat! :(

dirtbusters

Re: Shower screens
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:55:29 pm »
spray with de scaler , rub over , then use a window cleaning razor blade to remove scale, scum etc. rinse off with shower head. re spray with de scaler to remove any remaining scale, will be as good as new !

nat1

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:31 pm »
Thanks for reply , where would I get a window cleaning razor blade from? Cheers nat.

Jan K

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:14:52 am »
any good diy shop should have one........B n Q springs to mind

another alternative is to use an abrasive cleaner with a scourer, plenty of elbow grease and hey presto, shiny glass :)

then to maintain the glass and keep it clean encourage the client to use an after shower spray (i prefer mr muscle), and obviously your cleaner to use glass cleaner after getting rid of any stubborn marks that have buuilt up during the week :)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:42:46 am »
Hi

Use Viakal from Tesco, i use this all the time on tiles and shower doors & screens, excellent stuff.

Scrub over with a metal scourer (it won't scratch the glass), leave for a few mins, then rinse off, use a window squeegy to get rid of excess water and buff up with kitchen towel with glass cleaner or you can use shower screen spray as directed by Jan

Good luck

Regards

Martin 8)

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 02:55:54 pm »
is it a glass screen or plastic???/

Jan K

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 07:43:36 am »
do you know what I never thought to ask that question as, to be honest, I have never come a cross a plastic shower screen  :)

anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

Jan K

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:07:38 am »
OK I have just this very minute got off the phone to one of my lovely cleaning ladies and she has given me a tip she discovered whilst cleaning a vert stubbornly marked shower screen.

She tried all the dmoestic bathroom/multipurpose cleaners she could find and eventually resorted to (wait for the backlash)............toilet cleaner!! pour it on, leave it for 10 minutes or so and then just rinse off.........hey presto, gleaming shower. Also she said that washing up liquid produces as good results and probably, psychologically, is better, cos the word toilet and shower aren't linked  ;D

I am a bit out of touch really as I don't clean any longer (apart from an office for an hour every evening) and that is a doddle of a clean, but I have discovered the best way to clean large expanses of walls is wirth a vileda super mop, or any flat headed mop...........bit random that, praps i should stick this in the tips section too  ;)

murky

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:41:43 am »
We use toilet cleaner on shower screens. It works a treat because it is technically descaling the screen if you think about it, but make sure you rinse it off afterwards.

keen2clean

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:39:44 am »
We use a toilet cleaner aswell however a top tip is to just check the acid concentration in what ever chemical your using if it is high then you will get the scum and scale off as you simply need to use an acidic cleaner to remove an alkaline if you see what i mean guys
All the best everyone

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 03:24:08 pm »
you prob wont beleive me now, but i was going to say toilet cleaner. thats why i asked if it was glass or not as toilet cleaner can sometimes have an adverse effect on plastic ;D ;D ;D ;D

nat1

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:38:15 pm »
 ;)Thanks all,  for all your advice, It is glass so will probaly try the toilet cleaner.Cheers Nat

Art

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 10:43:36 pm »
Well all i can say is your all brave people.

Toilet cleaner on shower screens  :o Fair enough experimenting on your own shower screens, but on a clients.
Isn't that just a little risky?

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 01:28:31 am »
it`s very hard to find any chemical that will harm glass in anyway, thats why test tubes are made of it

Tim Downer

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 11:40:24 am »
Always have used toilet cleaner on shower screens with no bad results or comeback.

Ok, so you wouldnt leave it on there for an hour, but as long as you work it in and rinse off afterwards, should come up a treat.

Does a blinding job on chrome fittings. Done this method all the time on new builds and EOT alike   ;D    Mmmmmm Nice 'n shiney and sparkley

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 08:06:22 pm »
careful on stainless steel it can corrode it and make it go green

Lesley J

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 08:43:43 pm »
we also use a toilet cleaner  triple s by Greyland with a green scoureron shower doors and floors, works 1st time a treat,  dilute 1-4 on chrome and never use hot water to rinse off, because it will damage it.
Lesley Tyrrell

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 05:21:26 pm »
hi we use a product called kaboom, and a yellow microfibre cloth (glass and mirror coded), ther best product we have tried works brilliantly.
spray a bit on n rub off with the cloth sparkles it up a treat.

Jan K

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 07:36:50 pm »
i dont rate kaboom at all  :(

angela stone

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:48:08 pm »
I've just bought some viakal from tescos so it better be good, Martin!!   ;D ;D ;D

Ange
Hi

Use Viakal from Tesco, i use this all the time on tiles and shower doors & screens, excellent stuff.

Scrub over with a metal scourer (it won't scratch the glass), leave for a few mins, then rinse off, use a window squeegy to get rid of excess water and buff up with kitchen towel with glass cleaner or you can use shower screen spray as directed by Jan

Good luck

Regards

Martin 8)