This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

I've passed this window cleaner once before while driving in my car.  He had a little set of dodgy looking ladders over his shoulder and a bucket and was walking by the side of a main road; he obviously didn't have any motorised transport.  I didn't stop to talk then, but today I saw him cleaning an account I recently dropped.

This is what I saw: 

1.  A set of ladders that are something like what Aldis would sell.  They were one piece, but have a hinge in the middle.  I'd be surprised if they could comfortably reach a first floor window without having to stand on one of the top three rungs.  He doesn't drive, and (give him his due; he's obviously not lazy) lives a long way from this account.

2.   The normal range of tea-towels and cheap washing up liquid you see some new guys start with.

He was a bit sheepish me me; obviously since he was cleaning one of my accounts (the last time I did these were in August 06 and the unprofessional I am, I hadn't let them know I'd stopped comming); my offer of help wasn't taken up.  (I asked him if he wanted any help to learn the 'ropes').

Also, he's got a speech impediment and his social skills were lacking.  Putting it 'kindly', he's got some sort of 'learning disability'.

But the thing is, given the ladders he was using; I think it's not going to be long before he has a fall and hurts himself.  Hopefully he'll give it up before this happens; but the first time I saw this guy was during the Summer; so I think he's got some 'gumption' in him and will stick at it; for a while at least.

I could be all wrong.  Those little bendy ladders might be safe and the speach impediment and lack of social skills could be some sort of disability that doesn't affect his common-sense; but I personally think he's just an accident waiting to happen and there's nothing I can do about it.

I think this is a definate case of introducing licensing into the English window cleaning industy; since hopefully the cost of one would deter those who're obviously putting themselves at risk.

EasyClean

Hello Tosh,
I hear your concerns for the chap. Next time you see him ask him if he would be interested in working for some window cleaner on this site as an employee and learn the trade safely as any employer would love an honest grafter who is committed and reliable. It's just a suggestion.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

simon knight

Bloody good luck to him. But what's with tea-towels?

brett walker

Are you sure it wasnt squeeky you were talking to?  ;D ;D ;D

Brett ;D

Clear Vision

Brett ;D

Was thinking that my self but you beat me to the post!  ;D

dai

Tosh, we see some scary things. I was driving on Saturday, the car in front was a window cleaners. He had an applicator sleeve covering the rear wiper on his estate car. No harm in that, What frightened me was the state of his ladders.
He had four double alloy ladders on the rack, so he must be employing at least one other guy. Two of the ladders looked OK, but the other two were scary.
One had the remnants of the plastic/rubber feet. The other had none whatsoever.
You could see were the bottom of the aluminium was curled up.
This guy was well into middle age, and should have had the sense to know better.
If an employee was to fall with that ladder, that guy could be facing serious charges.
I have seen other window cleaners with no feet on their ladders too. Death wish or what? Dai

Brett ;D

Guys! >:(

Squeaks has sorted out his ladders and he's a million miles away from the impression I gained from this new window cleaner.  I honestly feel sorry/frightened for him (not Squeaks).

Two of the ladders looked OK, but the other two were scary.
One had the remnants of the plastic/rubber feet. The other had none whatsoever.
You could see were the bottom of the aluminium was curled up.

Dai

Dai,

I see that all the time.  I starting to think it's generally considered normal, or a 'badge' of how 'ard we work', when I see window cleaners with just bent alluminium where feet should be.

simon knight

Talking of feet mine are starting to get a bit bald, where can get replacements?

Sir Squeaky

Thankyou Tosh.
Brest and Smeary Vision, bugger off!

I think I know who you mean.
He lives down in my estate somewhere, and my local newsagent I chat to said he was cleaning windows now.

Tall gormless looking thing?
Major drug addict, that's why he doesn't talk properly.
Absolute smelly loser.
He won't stick at it longer than his next fix. ::)

Then again, you might be talking about someone else! ;D

Yes, tall and gormless! :-\

I didn't realise he was  drug addict; I just thought he had some sort of disability, which he obviously has.

I still can't help feeling sorry for the poor lad though.

paul saunders

If he's a drug addict, it's his customers you should feel sorry for.................there the one paying for his habit.  ::)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

KarlJones

Well that makes your point a bit more I guess Tosh.  Nothing stopping him doing it in an unregulated industry. 

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

brett walker

Thankyou Tosh.
Brest and Smeary Vision, bugger off!

I think I know who you mean.
He lives down in my estate somewhere, and my local newsagent I chat to said he was cleaning windows now.

Absolute smelly loser.

He won't stick at it longer than his next fix. ::)

Then again, you might be talking about someone else! ;D

Squawky. been waiting to get you back for the van remark ;)  ;D
regards

Brest ;D

If this chap has got learning difficulties its good that someones worried about him has he got any family you could have a word with? before he has a serious accident.  On the other hand if hes taking drugs and going up a ladder ive got no sympathy.

I see loads of window cleaners every week with dodgy ladders and i dont suppose theyre on drugs or got learning problems theyre just ignorant to safety. For the price of a decent ladder to save you from injury or worse its a small price to pay

yes i think there should be some kind of licence for w/c

Brett

matt

if he is a drug addict, fair play to him for trying to earn his next fix, its got to be better than mugging some old lady / robbing houses

hasnt it ?? ??

paul saunders

good point matt

*Jacky Dople

You have no way of telling if he is window cleaning IN PLACE of mugging old woman, have you?

YOU have NO IDEA about being an addict, DO YOU?

Ask the addict before you SPOUT OFF!

paul saunders

erm ............... was that aimed at anyone in particular.  ???

riz

having been burgaled by a drug addict i would prefer them to work or are they on the prowl  to burgle?

matt

You have no way of telling if he is window cleaning IN PLACE of mugging old woman, have you?

YOU have NO IDEA about being an addict, DO YOU?

Ask the addict before you SPOUT OFF!

if this is in reply to my post, then YES i do know , a very good mate ( who is now clean ) was a addict

so does that ANSWER your rather rude and pointless post

WHY WOULD HE BE WORKING TO FUND HIS HABBIT, IF HE CAN MAKE IT MUCH EASIER AND QUICKER ROBBING

SO DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR ON ABOUT ?? ?? ??

AuRavelling79

Peace, people, peace!

When a nerve has been touched we react without thinking ...
It's a game of three halves!