Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Gott

Vehicle Security
« on: June 16, 2004, 12:35:05 am »
SECURITY OF VEHICLE, CONTENTS, AND PEOPLE  

Fit good quality and highly visible devices such as a steering wheel shield, wheel clamp, brake lock. Fit them as a habit at any time of the day and anywhere.

Fit vehicle alarm.

Fit PIR security light trained on van for overnight parking.

Get all windows security etched. Usually free if you produce insurance documents. Most windscreen people offer this service

Don’t leave the keys in vehicle even when you are near it.

Back vehicle overnight so that rear door/s can’t be got at

Don’t leave keys downstairs overnight.

Lock all doors and shut all windows whenever vehicle is unattended.

Consider Tracker, Smart Water, lockable post, etcetera.

Take photographs of vehicle. Include any distinguishing features.

Take photographs of equipment.

Security mark your key equipment and list exact position of marks.

Secure high value equipment with chains or cables. That will deter the casual thief.

Overnight, remove crucial components of high value gear. For example, the waste tank lid of a Ninja, the drive plate of your rotary. If gear is stolen, thief will have to obtain missing components. You can then warn likely suppliers to be on the lookout. I know of a case where this situation caught the sod.

Lock all doors when refuelling.

Park so that driver is not facing a wall, bushes etcetera, and therefore can’t be easily seen.

Look around before getting out of the vehicle.

Look around before leaving the vehicle out of sight. Is anybody lurking?

Look around when returning to vehicle. Keep keys out of sight.

Beware of anybody trying to stop you as you drive.

Keep all doors locked when driving.

Some of the points listed may seem alarmist, but they are based on known events. In my area we have had several cases of drivers being stopped and  attacked and, in supermarket car parks, women handing over their keys at knifepoint.

Don't broadcast when you are going to be away from home.

Don't broadcast where and how you keep your posessions.

HELPFUL WEBSITES

www.secureyourmotor.gov.uk

www.soldsecure.com

Your local Constabulary website

Other sites - search for “Vehicle Security”

My personal feeling about people who steal a tradesman’s vehicle:- They are taking a livelihood and should be removed from the society for which they have no respect. They should not be released until they learn respect and are no longer a threat. There is no point in releasing them if they then carry on with their evil ways and incur further misery, and the costs of further detection, trial, and detention. Decent people need to be free of these pests.  

Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

Dynafoam

Re: Vehicle Security
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 03:46:37 am »
Neil,

A great post !!

Having lost my last van to thieves, I now have an even higher level of security ( Thieves apparently drove the van away with alarm sounding and lights flashing )

The last three attacks were all with hammer and chisel on door locks - the first two the doors were not even opened, the last occasion the door opened and the alarm caused the would-be thief to run away.

Had I had the vehicle repaired in a garage, the cost of three new doors, three new locks, paintwork, loss of earnings etc. would have run into four figures.

It seems whatever we do these scum still cost us money even when they gain nothing themselves.

John.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:14:52 am »
John

The most frustrating, galling, annoying thing is that 'if' they do get caught they get a community order placed on them (which they promptly fail to do)  >:(

They will then probably sue you that the goods they stole from you were NOT suitable for the purpose intended and demand you replace them with new.  ::)

We and the police are being let down badly by the judicial system and the PC brigade who seem to live on a different planet to the rest of us.

It would seem that ...CRIME 'DOES' PAY!

Derek

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:19:42 am »
discontect fuel pump switch

UK that messed up?

IVAR :P

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 09:12:43 pm »
if only i had done all these things last week :-X :-X
things could have been much rosier,
a lesson learned the hard way for me , but be assured from now every precation will be taken
for any one intersested apparently their is an alarm
that can be fitted now to your van , that actually triggers
the alarm in your house  handy when your fast asleep indoors i think is on market for around a touch over £100

im looking into it localy , can keep any one posted of the system  geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Derek

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 10:15:47 pm »
Geoff

The whole essence of these boards are to share information such as that you suggest..  I for one will certainly be interested

Regards
Derek

Neil Gott

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 12:32:07 am »
Same here.
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

gwrightson

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 11:03:59 am »
will keep you updated on the system as soon as i have more details
but has been reccomended by somebody who has already fitted , has to be worth a look yes
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 11:19:57 am »
My house alarm is radio controlled so it was easy to fit more sensors on van and caravan.
A small system is available at about £100 that will cover a van and shed etc. Range is about 50m from control unit.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.