Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paulchambers

WILTON belguin
« on: June 12, 2004, 01:53:42 am »
I recently went to a hotel to do a audit two of the carpets i think were wilton belgiun the backing was full of colour though you could see jute running through it i was 100% sure so basically refused the job is there a definit test for witon belguin please    paul

paulchambers

Re: WILTON belguin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 01:54:26 am »
sorry wasnt 100% sure

Martin_Riley

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 02:07:58 am »
Paul, you are probably correct in your assumption that it is a Belgian Wilton. You could use Dry Fusion or Texatherm on these with care and get good results (assuming you have access to these systems ) What method do you usually employ? HWE on this type of carpet does carry a risk of shrinkage although i have heard of others telling how they have HWE these types of carpet. I personally would not risk it. Hope this helps
Martin :)
Martin J Riley, Tiverton, Devon, NCCA, IICRC

Robert_O

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 06:45:32 pm »
Hi Paul

This is an article that I wrote some time ago for the NCCA newsletter, I hope that it may be of use to you.

Dealing with Belgium Wilton’s, and the clients perspective.  By Robert Olifent

Following on from a recent topic raised on the NCCA Forum, I thought that it might be a good idea to write an article concerning how to deal with Belgium Wilton carpets and their proneness to shrinkage.

Belgium Wilton carpeting must be the bane of most carpet cleaners, particularly in how to recognise and deal with them. More importantly, how do we explain 'diplomatically' to the client the problems associated with their 'perceived' high quality purchase of holding the ‘Wilton’ name. What many people no not realise is that ‘Wilton’ is a method of construction and is not just a brand name of quality.

Many customers will mention with pride that they have a ‘Wilton carpet’ that they require cleaning, but this usually sets alarm bells ringing straight away for me.  The experienced carpet-cleaning technician can usually tell upon initial inspection what they are up against, but some of these carpets can be extremely deceptive. It is worthwhile remembering at this point that the problem lies with your customer as they have the problematic carpet, but if you proceed without advising your client in the appropriate way then this can swiftly become your problem.

I personally have no reservation ‘at all’ in walking away from Belgium Wilton’s, and make sure that my clients are fully aware of this. I will explain in a courteous and as diplomatic manner as possible, all of the facts concerning the potential shrinkage problems, and then put the ball firmly in the client’s court.  Options will be discussed such as dry cleaning or wet extraction taking into account the severity of the soiling and staining. A look around the perimeter of the room will often show signs of pre-existing contracted areas that may already have pulled away from the edges, particularly in areas like underneath radiators or inaccessible locations for the fitter to get in to. Often the carpets can be found barely meeting at the skirting and may not be anchored behind the gripper, as they should be. What this means is that the slightest contraction due to cleaning will immediately be apparent, followed by the client shouts of: "you've shrunk my carpet"!

PTO

Robert_O

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 06:45:49 pm »

Several years ago I visited the Harrogate Carpet Manufacturers Exhibition and I specifically browsed the stands which where exhibiting Belgium Wilton’s. On the back of one swatch sample read something along the following lines:

1.      ‘This carpet should be left to acclimatise within the property 7 days prior to installation’. I personally cannot see any fitter that will drop off a carpet at a clients home and say: 'I'll be back next week missus to fit it for you'. I would suggest that this simply does not happen.

2.      The next stipulation was that these carpets should be fitted on double gripper rods. I have only seen on one occasion where this had been the case, and this was only at the warp chain far edges of a very large lounge/dining room.

3.      The third stipulation was that the carpets should be loosely laid and not 'stretched in' under tension.

Some Belgium Wilton carpets contract significantly with atmospheric moisture, so just bear this in mind when you come to clean them with any cleaning process using moisture. These stipulations could be considered a legal get out for the carpet manufacturers from the call back problems associated with these types of carpets?  I am sure you can make up your own minds on that subject. I also understand that Belgium Wilton’s were a significant cause of insurance claims within our industry, which obviously means that there are many carpet cleaning companies that are falling foul of these products.

To explain how to identify Belgium Wilton’s through information within an article could be done, and I have written about in a past Newslink article, but probably still leaves the unwary carpet cleaner unsure. The best advice that can be given is to go along to a local retailer and have a look at these products ‘first hand’. As soon as you become familiar with Belgium Wilton’s, you should be able to smell them from at least 30 paces away.

So How do I deal with the client?
To advise the client of all the associated problems verbally is not sufficient to hold up in court should things take a turn for the worst. This must be placed in writing, and a signature obtained from the client, which authorises you to proceed at the client’s own risk 'with their full understanding'.

A good idea would be for a pre-drafted disclaimer form to be compiled that specifies these technicalities and the terms that you are willing to undertake the cleaning works.
How I personally deal with the situation is to assess and balance what I call the:  ‘for and against logic’.

Against wet cleanings favour:
A high level of soiling.
Barely meeting at edges, or already away.
Highly tensioned carpet.
A carpet  that has not been wet cleaned previously suggests an unknown quantity.
Fitted on single gripper rods.
Having a concrete or bitumastic flooring with nailed in grippers.

In the cleanings favour:
Light soiling
Firmly fitted, over well-anchored Gripper rods.
Double gripper rods
Carpet appears to have minimal tension.
Carpet has been wet cleaned previously without adverse reaction.
Grippers well anchored into wood floorboards

Whatever the outcome of this equation/ balance, it is still down to the client to make the ultimate decision to proceed or not, although they rely on the cleaners professionals advice.  The situation is like the risk of Russian roulette (without the fatalities), but if the trigger is to be pulled then the client should pull it, and take any subsequent responsibility away from you.

One other thing to consider is that as much as you forewarn your client, verbally or in writing, if things do go wrong you will still be known as the carpet cleaner that shrank No. 42s carpets.

Its food for thought isn’t it. Think about it!!!

Regards

Robert Olifent

woodman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 07:19:21 pm »
Hi paul

I'll do the abridged version, that Robert's got far to much time on his hands ;D

Yes it does sound like a BW so it will be synthetic, pull a tuft and do a burn test to confirm.

If it is and you unsure how to go about cleaning it , explain the situation to the client and decline the clean  ;)