Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gwrightson

scotchguard £3. 70
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:49:07 am »
well i searched the topics, but cant seem to find the answer
the question. What would be your answer be to a customer who requests price for upholstry protection
and upon hearing your price replys
i can apply myself for JUST OVER £3 00
got me wondering as walking around B, Q  saw scotchguard in a spray can for that price,
easy to apply, repells all spills, simply wipe off >:(  ???
enough for 2 chairs or 1 large settee
anybody  had this scenario yet?
maybe im been stupid?  but i am still in a learning curve !!  up i hope  
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Martin_Riley

Re: scotchguard £3. 70
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 12:48:04 am »
Hi Geoff
I would reply that the upholstery retailers charge £200-£300 to protect a 3 Pc Suite And our price is also substantial. If Madam thinks that she will be professionally applying the same products that we apply then good luck to her and I hope the suite did'nt cost too much so that she does'nt feel too bad if it gets ruined. I now relate to my clients a recent event that happened to me a short while ago. A client of mine had installed a light beige wool carpet coting over £3000. At the time they decided not to invest the extra £200 or so to have it properly protected. Result, two weeks later lady phones up in an absolute panic. They've had a party (quite relaxed one I'm told), and next day my client notices two large wine spillages, a coffee spillage and a black shoe polish stain. This lady client is naturally extremely upset and tearful and asks if I can do anything about it. I have to say that on initial inspection I told her that there was little chance of removing all the marks. Well, unbeleivably all the marks came out, much to the relief of my client who was also extremely grateful. after I had finished she asked for all the carpets to be protected as she was not taking that chance again. Hope this helps.
Martin :)
Martin J Riley, Tiverton, Devon, NCCA, IICRC

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 01:09:27 am »
Geoff and Martin

Is Scotchguard the same as Scotchgard ??? ??? I have a local tm cc who offers this for free wrong spelling as usual. Martin what product did you use on the customer carpet ??? ???

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Derek

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 09:50:58 am »
Len

The spelling is 'Scotchgard'...

may I suggest that the other spelling may be more than likely used by someone cashing in on a well known branded product and spraying who knows what...if anything!

On the other hand it may be a printing error :-/

Cheers
Derek

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 11:27:13 am »
let me try make myself clear
the actal product was scotchgard  tm in a spray can
the situation has not asisen yet
more a case of if it does
especially as the product is the branded name
makes me wonder if buy a couple of cans to use ?
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Dave_Lee

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 08:55:50 pm »
How much actual protector product do you think one of these aerosols contain - not so much. To properly protect a sofa and two chairs a professional would probably use between 1 and 2 litres (depending on size) applied through a recommended spraying device with calibrated jet at the correct pressure and distance. It is easy to see and explain why the two cannot be compared.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 10:49:43 pm »
Geoff,

In addition to Daves' very valid comments:

In a similar topic, a senior representative of the UK distributors for Scotchgard pointed out that it would thake 10+ cans to properly protect an average suite.

10 x £3.70 = loads too much.

John.

(Couldn't find my calculator to work it out  ;D )

Martin_Riley

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 11:21:58 pm »
Len, I use Alltecs Promite product. Water based and ready to use. I have applied a heck of a lot of the stuff and have yet to have a complaint.
Martin :)
Martin J Riley, Tiverton, Devon, NCCA, IICRC

gwrightson

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 11:14:12 am »
OK  John you say 10 cans for the average suite,
try telling the customer the that , when it says on the can i can does 2 chairs, or 1 setee, so what the uk rep is saying then , in fact , is that they are conning the public by printing on the can that  all is needed is basicly 2 cans to to do an addequate job, "full protection just wipe off spills," as stated on can
now i can see all the correct procedures, and application methods that proffesionals carry out, but!! it still
implies to a customer that the treatment a proffesional can give is some what , any one can do with these cans
for a lot less money
dont worry im not buying all their cans up its just a scenario
geoff

Derek

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 12:09:27 pm »
Geoff

You are correct.....3M produced and eventually discontinued aerosol cans of Scotchgard many years ago for that very reason.

Picture this...

upholsterer buys an aerosol can of Scotchgard....this is used to 'protect' several items of furniture...I am taking several suites NOT separate individual items

This was reality then and will probably happen again.

The cost of a can in those days was for higher (more than double) and Yes, we were told it did require in the region of 9/10 cans per suite.

Derek

George@Multimaster

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 07:55:54 pm »
Just to add another note of caution:
The  Scotchgard Protector in aerosol cans is likely to be based on silicone chemistry, not fluorochemistry. The silicone chemistry does nothing other than repel water-based spills - great for shower resist coats and maybe umbrellas, no good for food and drink spills, nearly all of which contain oils or grease.

The other thing to bear in mind with aerosols is that nearly all of them use a mixture of butane and propane gas (commonly found in your disposable cigarette lighter) and as a result of using even a couple of cans in a small room with no ventilation (read the label) is too nasty to think about if someone lights a gas fire or starts smoking.
Please advise anyone who wants to use this product that they must read the label carefully.
The new generation Scotchgard Protector in 27.5Litre drums is based on fluorochemistry and does much more for your cutomer than just repel water based liquid spills.

PS the spelling comes from the American manufacturers and has never had the "u" in it, despite many many people insisting it is wrong. 3M look very hard at advertising in yellow pages etc to see that the spelling is correct, and write nasty letters to those who may be infringing their copy-right.
PPS They also have "protected" the word Scotchg(u)ard to prevent anyone launching a similar named product!