This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

How the other half live!
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:05:29 pm »
This isn't  a 'show off' post, because I know many of you guys do big/huge/massive jobs; some of them really plush too.

But I got my first big posh job; and I mean really posh; this morning. 

Electric gates, under-floor heating, indoor swimming pool, stables that could hold eight horses, sauna room (a big one too), three fish ponds containing Japanese coy, even an inside toilet.

It makes you sick.  The footprint of my house could fit in his indoor pool and those horses live in a posher place than me!

I stuck an extra tenner on what've I calculated the price, and when I finished, the home owner cadged 25 litres of DI water from me to rinse his car with after washing it.  He knows about this, since his car valet uses DI water too.  So that's him out of a clean or two! ;D

He also got me to write out a receipt for his business account; so he's obviously counting the cost of cleaning against his tax liability (he works from home).

There's some tight gits around.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

Re: How the other half live!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 04:14:51 pm »
i know what you mean

i had a customer i did on monday its an old rectory massive place , quoted 85.00 once a month he said ok ... did the job then said can i make invoice to his business if i had known would have charged 30 more .. just for him being a git . then when he asked who is the cheque payable to said not the company name my name as i dont have a business account then he went on about that not being legal .. etc... (what a cheek!!)

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:18:10 pm »
Nice one Tosh

I remeber a few years ago going to a big house like you discribed and it was a really hot day. After about an hour the guy comes out with a large jug of pure orange juice with ice cubes in it and a couple of glasses, he sat down on the patio chairs and drank the lot while he watched us work, git.

Roy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:26:32 pm »
said not the company name my name as i dont have a business account then he went on about that not being legal .. etc... (what a cheek!!)

shawn

Shawn,

This guy gave me a cheque and automatically wrote it out to my business name; not to my personal account.

I also don't use a business account.

I didn't ask him to amend it, I did that myself! ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 04:45:57 pm »
Alright for some.

At least you were able to work today Tosh.
All I had to do was up in the hills, and the rain up there was much worse than here.
Lots of georgians too, so I couldn't do anything about it. :(

Pj

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 04:47:12 pm »
At least you've got hills :(

cleanwave

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:54:10 pm »
i know what you mean

i had a customer i did on monday its an old rectory massive place , quoted 85.00 once a month he said ok ... did the job then said can i make invoice to his business if i had known would have charged 30 more .. just for him being a git . then when he asked who is the cheque payable to said not the company name my name as i dont have a business account then he went on about that not being legal .. etc... (what a cheek!!)

shawn

I think he's talking rubbish anyway, there's nothing illegal about not having a business account.  As long as you still do the tax etc properly then there's nothing wrong with it.

Matt

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:57:08 pm »
If you don't mind me asking how much was it Tosh?

P.S sorry i havent gone into detail whilst reading this thread so sorry if it has already been stated!!

john tomkins

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 05:09:48 pm »
i then when he asked who is the cheque payable to said not the company name my name as i dont have a business account then he went on about that not being legal .. etc... (what a cheek!!)

shawn

I went on a "Business link" seminar type course and the lecturer told us NOT to get a business account as they are a total rip off, he would argue with bank managers who came in to do talks over this point. I admit if you get loads and loads of cheques passing through your personal account they will probably be flagged up sooner or later, but for a few cheques here and there I dont think there is a problem.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 05:16:43 pm »
i then when he asked who is the cheque payable to said not the company name my name as i dont have a business account then he went on about that not being legal .. etc... (what a cheek!!)

shawn

I went on a "Business link" seminar type course and the lecturer told us NOT to get a business account as they are a total rip off, he would argue with bank managers who came in to do talks over this point. I admit if you get loads and loads of cheques passing through your personal account they will probably be flagged up sooner or later, but for a few cheques here and there I dont think there is a problem.

Sole traders don`t need to open a business account, the bank can`t make you have one!

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 05:33:22 pm »
Sole traders don`t need to open a business account, the bank can`t make you have one!

I would agree.

I pay a lot of cheques into my personal account and never get any trouble.  I'm always nice to 'my girls' in the bank, who uncomplainingly will process a lot of cheques ranging from four quid upwards.

I always get them a box of quality street for Christmas, since I'm sure I'm a pain.

Alright for some.

At least you were able to work today Tosh.

I only did this account and three others; I finished early due to Ian_Giles beasting me in the squash court.  I've aches on top of pains.

If you don't mind me asking how much was it Tosh?

I'm not saying what I charge; there's too many locals here, and it is a nice account.  It's 95% ground floor; like a massive bungalow; with only around 6 first floor windows and four veluxes.

There's a lot of glass, but it's quick to do; especially with a squeegie; since the windows are simple single pane stuff; even the windows on the swimming pool are easy, just like a row of five patio doors; but posher (arch shaped).

I've got a good price for it when I consider the time it takes to travel there (it's a mile from my next nearest clean ;D).

I should thank Squeaks; since I got it because of his working practices; honest!  Ask and I'll explain.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:53 pm »
I should thank Squeaks; since I got it because of his working practices; honest!  Ask and I'll explain.
Yeah, I'd like that explained...

Sounds like a dig, probably untrue in that case.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 05:59:24 pm »
Yeah, I'd like that explained...

Sounds like a dig, probably untrue in that case.

Not at all!  No dig.  I know you're a good window cleaner.

But from the Tredegar Arms (which I got on a change of management; I didn't steal it from you) I got many accounts, but I did leaflet and canvass around the area. 

From these customers, round the Tredagar arms, one lady took me on but said that her friend has a window cleaner who only cleans when she's there (that's you Squeaks); BUT my customer said she was only at home because she was on maternity leave and would be back at work shortly; so no-one would be at home.

But she still wanted her windows cleaned, whether she was in or not.  She told me that's why she didn't ask you to clean her windows.

I'm now her window cleaner; a nice bungalow too with a couple of veluxes (15 quid), but she's lovely to look at also; just a bonus!

She's friends with the posh bloke with the the big house and she recommended me to him.

I'm now his window cleaner.

It's a funny old world!

Pj

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 06:05:08 pm »
Since Squeaky said he might go wfp one day things have been a bit boring...

Good to see the Chepstow boys fighting one another again, livens things up! ;D

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 06:15:03 pm »
Since Squeaky said he might go wfp one day things have been a bit boring...

Good to see the Chepstow boys fighting one another again, livens things up! ;D

;D

I can only say that I'm genuinely happy with the leads that Squeaky is 'giving' me.

And I sort of regret telling him what I've just told him, since he may change his working practices and I could lose out on future work that he may get instead of me.

I like Roger (Squeaks). 

Ian_Giles is the 'bugger'.  I used to do a nicely priced account on demand for 100 quid.  I think this company had a change of secretaries and now Ian does it for 120 quid, on a set regular basis.

He's the git we've got to look out for! >:(

supernova77

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 07:09:33 pm »
three fish ponds containing Japanese coy, even an inside toilet

WOW - The fish ponds even have an inside toilet? They must be loaded!  ;)

Andy

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 07:18:46 pm »
three fish ponds containing Japanese coy, even an inside toilet

WOW - The fish ponds even have an inside toilet? They must be loaded!  ;)

Andy

Luckily enough, I know the pleasantries in Japanese; so bowed and said, 'Konichiwa' when I met the fish.

Also, 'You a funny guy'!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 08:00:30 pm »
But from the Tredegar Arms (which I got on a change of management; I didn't steal it from you) I got many accounts, but I did leaflet and canvass around the area. 
It wasn't on "change of management"
I was already cleaning it for the new people.
You know that, don't try and lie to everyone on here. ::)

What do you mean by my "working practices"?
I don't just clean for people who are in. ???

If that woman said that, it's because that's the arragement she had made.

Other than that your post was ok. ;D

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 10:34:55 pm »
Do either of you two do Canon
Lane in Caerwent?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 11:00:32 pm »
Nope. Don't go that way.

I can if you want me to, I could do with some new places... :)