This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cheryl new

New Starter or None Starter?
« on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:15 pm »
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into the possibility of starting a carpet & upholstery/Domestic cleaning business in my area (Greenmount, Bury, Lancs), but have just been checking out my competition on their Yell.com linked web site - not only do they look pretty impressive, but they guy lives just a few blocks from me!  So I'm feeling a little daunted and dim. ???

Looking at some of the topics already raised and advice given, I can see that there should be enough work to go around, but to optimise my chances I need all the advice I can get, what machine to buy (secondhand) and who, if anyone, in my area can I hook up with for a couple of days to get some on the job training.

Any advice greatly received as I'm determined not to return to the 9-5 grind after my maternity leave ends in July! ::)

Cheers
Cheryl

Neil Mc Anulty

Re: New Starter or None Starter?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 06:14:40 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

Your first move if you are going to set up should be to contact the NCCA and book yourself on to a course.

This will give you confidence and knowledge in the carpet and upholstery field.

It will also give your prospective customer the  confidence to hire you.

As for buying the second hand machine I could not advise you any further as I am in Northern Ireland, however you have also the option of leasing a new machine so check out the companies on the internet
and tell them to send you out information;

Prochem; Host Von Schrader; Texatherm
These are just a few companies to get you started.

The best of luck if you do go for it.

cheryl new

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 04:20:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I've received details of the next NCCA course which unfortunately falls on my best friends wedding day.  Next course is in September which I'm planning to attend unless there's a prochem course earlier.

Thanks again and for the good luck.

;D

Cheryl

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 05:33:22 pm »
I would wait for NCCA course . Unless there is a rule change you would still have to do NCCA course to join.

Carpet Cleaning is not a cheap industry to enter and gain  regular work.

Knowing how to clean is only the start.

The biggest expense is finding customers.

How do you feel about putting out 3 to 5 thousand leaflets a week yourself until you have the phone ringing constantly so providing funds to pay for distribution.

How do you feel about door knocking for one or two days a week. not just one hour but six hours a day between two and eight pm.

Can you call on Commercial business with confidence.

Do you have any experience of canvassing. Why not gain experience for a week or two with a sales organization.

Have you a smart looking vehicle

cheryl new

Re: New Starter!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 04:44:29 pm »
Hi Ian

Many thanks yr reply.

I'll be attending the NCCA course in September as it appears to be the one that offers you an endorsement once you've passed your course and become a member.  After that I may try and attend a few more courses to gain as much knowledge as possible - couldn't hurt.

Although I'm not up and running yet, I have put the word out on the 'Mothers Network' which is a vast organisation.  Besides, I figure the greater % of people calling for carpet & upholstery cleaners must be women, so I can't go wrong by passing the word around the playground.

I've had quite a few leaflets through my letterbox recently, so know the competition is out their, and judging by the area codes, they are prepared to travel quite a distance (20 miles - hope they didn't walk that far!).  I'm considering calling myself Greenmount Carpet Care (probably naf - no laughing please), but it should help me capture some of the local business.

I've got no problem canvassing for biz, I've been doing it for 10 years.  The only difference is, that was in Shipping where I know more than most have forgotten (smug or what).  This is completely new and out of the comfort zone.  If however, the problems you mention are my main ones to overcome, then I know I'll do fine.  I've changed the subject title accordingly.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading some of the topics raised so that not everything will fly over my forehead at the NCCA course :o

Cheers
Cheryl
;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 02:21:05 am »
If its Carpet Cleaning you are targeting there is loads of advise and banter in the carpet cleaning section.

Have you tried www.cleantalk.co.uk

The Marketing section is very good if you carry out searches to when it all began.

Regards

Ian

cheryl new

Re: New Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 04:06:51 pm »
Hi Ian,

Many thanks.  I've registered with them today.  I can't wait to get started now and am thinking of hooking up with a local cc to get some hands on experience.  I could possibly start before I've done the NCCA course this way, but then again, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so won't get into anything before I'm sure I'd be able to complete a job in the same way I'd like my carpets cleaned i.e. professionally.

Anyway.  Thanks again and speak to you soon.

Best regards
Cheryl :)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 04:38:15 pm »
Cheryl.

I am sure you will do well.

One of the most well talked of carpet cleaners in this area is a Female. ( Hope that is politicallyy correct)

She does not have to advertise and is always busy.

Word of Mouth networking etc.

Good Luck

Ian