Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Petersullivan

solvent mark
« on: May 17, 2004, 11:23:18 pm »
hi fellas have any of you come across a mark left from solvent in a white wall carpet, the job was to remove makeup in long streaks on a white wool carpet , managed to remove the makeup but a month later have been called back to remove marks left by solvent, any ideas?
P.Sullivan

Len Gribble

Re: solvent mark
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 11:52:52 pm »
Peter

I don’t want to appear too be rude the way you are describing it, the solvent was just pored on, what neutralising agent did you use to rinse though? I found vinegar is the best in this type of scenario.

I’m stump on the remedy never been called back after a month to correct a problem I instigated, and then again there’s always be a first!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 12:01:03 am »
Peter,

What solvent(s) did you use?
What rinsing followed?
What does the mark look/feel like?

It may be that the solvent employed broke down the  oil/grease base of the make-up and enabled removal of the pigments but left behind other parts of the formula (eg talc).

If the current marking is wider than the make-up streaks were, then the products applied by you may be the culprets.

John.

Petersullivan

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 12:07:14 am »
product ashbys no3 , then rinsed out with ashbys powder and acid sprayed, yes john marks are wider indicating the spread of the solvent, i now need a remedy,
P.Sullivan

Dave Parry

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 12:38:10 am »
As John says the solvent may have diluted some part of the make-up, and then spread it. Would suggest trying hwe again, and if not sucsessful try gently applying solvent via a terry towel on a small part to see if it removes residue. Never had this problem with no 3, how was it applied? I always apply with a terry towel, and never by direct application.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Petersullivan

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 12:42:23 am »
applied with terry towel.
P.Sullivan

adl

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 02:40:27 pm »
This problem can occur quite a lot with chemspecs POG. The reason is that the POG is not rinsed through enough completley removing the residue. The simple answer is to use Chemspecs Wet Solvent that instantly takes out residue marks from POG

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 10:00:21 pm »
Dave555

This problem also occurs with Prochem’s Solvall spotter.

Thanks for the insight on pog and wet solvent.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Robert_O

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 10:05:11 pm »
Some Solvent formula's include certain oils which inhibit the fast evaporation usual associated with pure volatile solvents. This will allow more contact dwell time which is often necessary to break down certain oily greasy stains more effectively.

Once the stain has been removed, it is necessary to deal with the oily nature of the longer dwell time Solvent.  As I understand It is usually necessary to remove this oily residue with a 'volatile Solvent'.  

A volatile solvent is a solvent that does not have any of the oil base within the formulation and therefore will evaporate quite rapidly. This Volatile Solvent can be used to take out the oily substance left by the former solvent without leaving any residue.

To be honest with you though, I generally prefer to use the  citrus based solvents on most solvent soluable stains.  In terms of H&S these tend to be safer in use than wet or dry solvent, and they have a very pleasant fragrance. I find that the majority of solvent soluable stains will respond with Citrus based Solvents, and only use the mineral spirit or petroleum based solvents as a last resort, or to known specific stains that require them.

If the stain was a greyish nature when you returned to veiw the problem this would suggest that this was an oil residue from the Solvent, and this was attracting soil like a magnet. I have to admit though, that I am not familiar with that specific  Ashby's solvent you mentioned.

A hot higher alkaline detergent could possibly help to rinse out the oily residue, but I am not so sure about using Vineger, as we are not neutralising pH in this situation, we are rinsing out an oil residue.

I hope that this clarify's some misconceptions, and that it may be useful to you all.

Kind regards

Robert Olifent

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 12:55:55 am »
Robert

Peter’s problem is a bit ambiguous some makeups are water base some are oil based he did not say we just took it as oil based as he used solvent though he got it out, he also mentioned that he was called to remove the makeup he made no mention of cleaning the rest of the carpet afterwards that could be the problem clean area dirty area?

The use of vinegar I mentioned was to stabilise the situation after the event!

Len

Dynafoam

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 01:25:07 am »
Len,

A potential problem with vinegar (acetic acid) is that it has a mild bleaching effect, which in itself is normaly a minimal factor, but when dealing with a situation where there has potenitally been some colour loss or de-stabilisation, it is best avoided.

Peter,

Robert mentioned a citrus based solvent and I was going to sugest Chemspec Heavy Duty Soil Lifter at a dilution of 1:10, applied by dabbing with towel, fresh water rinse.

John.

Petersullivan

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 01:39:22 am »
many thanks guys lots of info, i have applied volitil solvent today , so see if the phone goes many thanks once again
P.Sullivan

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 02:34:58 am »
John

Point taken how ever not knowing the full implications of the job seeing for one self is crucial too any successful out come also the feed back one get from the customer. I’m not advocating the use in pure form.

It’s like receiving a call I have split beer/coffee on my carpet what do you recommend? Oh by the way it’s nether it’s something else!

Len

Robert_O

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 11:29:44 am »
Hi Len

You are absolutely right it can sometimes be very difficult to  pinpoint the problem exactly without seeing it first hand.

I was assuming that the mark was in fact the residual oils from the solvent spotter used, and my answer was to address that particular problem.

It is easy for us all to assume things, and give good intentioned advice that may or may not be off the mark, not having seen the problem first hand. I would suggest to anyone on the forum seeking advice to bear this in mind, and weigh up all the information given, along with the first hand inspection anylasis that only they are privvy to.

Good luck with the problem Peter.

Regards

Robert

Derek

Re: solvent mark New
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 04:13:36 pm »
Hi

Robert is absolutely correct...

Scenario:
I spoke to a chap a couple of days ago who had a problem with fabric....his operator had cleaned it ..... result colour loss...patchy appearance.

I assumed from the telephone conversation 'incorrectly' that it may have been wear abrasion... a cushion was subsequently sent to me, arrived yesterday, and the problem became immediately clear.

A pH sensitive dye has been affected by the cleaning solution... the chemical used for the job is generally recognised within the professional trade as 'safe'

Derek