Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

The Great One

Leather Suite advice
« on: May 16, 2004, 11:46:22 am »
Hi Guys

Been asked to clean a white leather suite (3 piece), i think it is real leather.

A. What process would you recommend?

B. What price would you recommend?

Many thanks for your expertise!

Regards

Martin 8)

adl

Re: Leather Suite advice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 02:52:42 pm »
I dont mean to sound rude when i say this but it seems from your coment "i think its real leather" that you dont have to much experience in this field. I see that no one has answered your question i expect that that is because it cant be properly answered without seeing the suite as ho to clean it, it might be worth you while asking for a local cc who has experience with leather to come and give you a hand for a small nominal fee of course, and maybee give you a bit of a lesson in what to look for and basic cleaning techniques, alternitively i have just recieved the brochure from the L.T.T about leather training courses that looks very interesting their number is 01423 881027 hope this helps

regards Dave

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 06:15:56 pm »
Martin,

I would echo Daves words of wisdom.

The first requirement is to identify the type of leather (pigmented, analine, untreated) as they have differing requirements and problems.

Judy at LTT is a very helpfull lady and would probably give you some advice on the identification, which may require only a simple scratch test, then sugest a suitable product.

I normaly charge at the same rate as for a fabric suite, but whatever the charge it is going to be less than the value of the suite, so if there is any doubt the walk-away option is the safest.

John.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 06:22:28 pm »
Martin ,

I do not claim any great expertise in leather cleaning but have probably done about 30 in the last 2 years.
About half these have been white or cream and I have achieved good results with Prochem leatherclean,white towells and hard work!
I would definitely attend a leather cleaning course if there was one in Essex/London.
Hope this helps,

Doug

Phil Marlor

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 06:28:59 pm »

Martin,

Try Chemspec Leather cleaner & Conditioner.

Agitate gently with a horse brush and clean with white towells.

You will always get good results on white/cream/beige.

The gentle agitation with a brush makes all the difference.

Phil

Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

The Great One

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 07:05:56 pm »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your advice and no offence taken.

It is for a friend and it is real leather.

I have done prochems upholstery course but this is my 1st leather since i trained in November.

I was thinking of Prochems Leather clene with a tampico brush for agitation and then to buff up and dry with the terry towels.

I have not inspected it yet, this is why i wasn't sure if it was real leather. It seems that there is a tear in the sofa, so great care must be taken here, i don't want to dry it out and make it worse but i will qualify this all in writing and do a full inspection.

Regards

Martin 8)

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 09:16:19 pm »
Martin,

If you are set on going ahead with the job, the Prochem product and tampico will produce similar results to the brush and product Phil mentioned. Do not forget the pre-test.

Rinse the tampico the night before to remove any upholstery pre-spray that may be on it. Before starting, work some of the product into the brush with the palm on your hand untill you feel the bristles soften.

In preference to terry towels I use woven cotton cloths -obtainable from most janitorial suppliers. You will need about 10-12.

After removing the cleaner with these cloths, apply Prochem leather feed as per bottle instructions, and it is after this that the final buffing takes place.

The above does not cancell out the earlier advice.

John.

Shorty

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 07:55:50 am »
For my tuppence worth, I am not familiar with Prochems leather cleaner.

What first must be ascertained though, before any cleaning agent is applied, is to identify the TYPE of leather, as explained above.

Will the Prochem cleaner harm a nubuck leather??

Is it only suitable for Pigmented or Aniline??

REAL leather, can be any of several different types of leather.

Experimenting without knowing what you are dealing with, is hazardous, to say the least.

good luck,

Shorty.
Shorty.

The short, round, mound of sound, from up top, down under.

Derek_Walker

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 11:27:47 pm »
Hi

I would definately do a training course before even thinking about cleaning leather. You will save yourself alot of problems in the long run. Some of the products on the market may dry out the leather, try and use separate products one for cleaning followed by a conditioner. Leathermaster do a range of cleaners and conditioners. The harm done may not even be evident to the naked eye until much later and over a period of time.

You need to learn how to recognise the different types of leather and finishes and the limitations imposed by type and degree of soiling.

Hope this helps, good luck

Derek Walker.

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 12:09:52 am »
I had a call today from a potential customer via a leaflet drop (no mention of leather) do I do clean leather, my reply sorry I don’t and gave her the spill and were are unable to recommend any one, by my truthfulness I am now cleaning her carpet next week.

Derek I take it that you do leather cleaning? I also note your profile states Kent if you send me a pm I may be able to pass work you way.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)