This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dear Aunty Forum Members,

This is wrong, and I know I'm probably going to get told off for my poor attitude, but I'm finding I'm getting work in from all directions; nothing too special; just lots of work.

I/we are grafting hard to keep on top of it, but I'm finding the little stuff I used to do, like phoning customers to request them to leave their back gates unlocked the night before, or spending time to chat with them; whether I'm working or just bumping into them in Tescos has fallen by the wayside.  I try to avoid chatting when-ever I can; just so I can crack on with the work.

I'm also not as concerned about the standard of clean; although through habit; it's still more than acceptable.  However, even if it wasn't or isn't; no-one is complaining; including myself.

But is this just a phase?  Or is it the thin end of the wedge, and will I get worse, lose all my customers and end up in the gutter?

I love my job; I'm well motivated; but I just feel that the more customers I have, the less important they become.

Is this normal?

Regards,

Tosh

PS.  As an example, I'm now off to do a weekly job that takes 15 minutes and pays 15 pound; a 100% WFP job and they're great payers.  But even with the WFP I do the absolute minimum, since I don't care if I lose the job or not.

Sir Squeaky

Re: Do you find your 'customer care' standards drop when you've loadsa work?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 07:59:31 am »
Tosh, you're turning into a hard-nosed moneygrabber!

It's wfp I tell you...... ::)

Once customers don't feel wanted they'll start deserting.
Customer care is important.

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:17:09 am »
Tosh

Im exactly like you.
I used to chat with the customers but now try to get in and get out and onto the next job.

Im also getting loads of work from all directions.
So not bothered if a customer cancels or not.

I used to take on most jobs in my area now im really picky.

If they have oxidised frames or flaky paint i won't take them on.
If there is access issues i won't take them on.
I won't take on people who want it done every now and then or if they want it done on a certain day.

The one's i do have that you have to ring tend to get done whenever i remember to ring.
I hate ringing people in the evenings.

I do a really good job but to be honest i don't go over the top like i used to.

But like you i love my job and im more interested in making money than worrying what the customer thinks.

Still i must be doing something right as i have only lost 2 customers in a year who didn't give a reason.
But have had quite a few move this year but all replaced in no time.

Paul

macc

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:24:57 am »
I know what you mean Tosh, i have my days when i dont want  but i push myself as it a package we give our customers, reliable, regular, honest & friendly.

What i do is the ones that like to chat for a few mins i signal through the window for a coffee, kills 2 birds with one stone.  ;)

Macc

gaza

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:25:29 am »
TOSH: Ive been there sometimes,do you think its time for a price increace,time to sort your round out or as squeeky says youve turned into a hard nose buiss owner?

Its payback time eg will you just brigade can go to hell if they dont pay for can you just comments.

YOU WILL HAVE PLENTY OF WORK IF YOU WORK FOR KNOWT
YOU WILL NOT DIE RICH YOULL DIE OF STARVATION AND HARD WORK ;D

Theres nothing wrong being a hard nose,wish I had started that way, instead of putting washing lines up,going to the shop, sorting out the council with roof repairs for my old dears [see we w/c do ave hearts]

5 mins doing a favour cost you £1.50/£2.00,that is now stuck firmly in my head

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

macc

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:00:11 am »
Good point gaza. If a customer asks me to do a favour they are happy to pay, even if its a tenner, they know they wont call someone out & do a job even if it takes 2mins for £10, they get it done cheap & we've covered our time, everyones a winner.

Macc

s.hughes

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 10:05:18 am »
Fact of the matter is that when you are busy then you are busy. You really deep down want to talk to your customers but have to get on with the work. There are always those customers that pay really well so its worth a 5 - 10min chat. The thing that gets me is the old ones that come out and start talking about their old motorbikes from 30 years ago. What the hell do I care about a bike from 30 years ago. When this happens a few times and I am cheesed off then UP GOES THE PRICE.

Steve

brett walker

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 02:58:24 pm »
I find i look after the customers that look after me, you soon work out the ones that dont give a toss about you
example: they'll stand there and make a drink without offering you one
but i also am getting work from all directions just today i got a commercial contract so if anyone cancels or moves or messes me about it doesnt bother me it gets you like this when youve just got a lot of work.

So we must be doing something right, i have sold all my crap work on and have kept the best i am just in the process of putting the prices of my work up anywhere from a pound up to 5 pounds depending on the property.

Just remember to be friendly and chat to all your customers its good for moral but dont chat for too long as time is money

regards

Brett

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 08:33:20 pm »
Tosh, you're turning into a hard-nosed moneygrabber!

It's wfp I tell you...... ::)

Once customers don't feel wanted they'll start deserting.
Customer care is important.

There you are see Tosh wfp is to blame again! ::)
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 08:41:21 pm »
Can't you see it Malc?

All the people who think like that are polers. :-\

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 08:48:32 pm »
Can't you see it Malc?

All the people who think like that are polers. :-\

Not this poler, squeaks.

On the majority of customers I did trad. and now do pole, I find myself trying to hold my self back from doing  those windows I could do now which were once unreachable by my ladders - (unless the customer pays for them of course!)
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 09:18:02 pm »
wfp to blame, squirt it & leg it!  ;D

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 09:45:23 pm »
wfp to blame, squirt it & leg it!  ;D

We still trad the ground floor on 90% of our work!  Anyway, this thread has got nowt to do with the constant WFP versus Trad debate. 

Since I'm still fairly new to 'the game', my point was that once you have more custom that you can shake a stick at, your routine bread and butter stuff becomes less precious and you drop your standards.

And when I say 'standards', I'm just not talking about how clean you leave the windows, but your overall attitude to your routine customers.

Of course we always look after our 'cream' (as David of St Ives calls it).  I text certain customers when I judge they want inside cleans done; I even do 'on demand' a manager's house of the hotel I clean each month.

There's certain accounts I'll pull the stops out for.

I also remember reading here on this forum, a few years back; I may even have commented; about posters complaining about customers and the readily given advice was to 'drop 'em'; and I remember thinking I couldn't drop any of mine because I needed them all at the time.

But I think once your business grows to a certain size, you start getting too big to care what your run-of-the-mill customers think.

I've even started wearing headphones and listening to music while working; even though I consider this 'Chavish'.  Some of my customers may not like this; but I don't care!

The next thing I know, I'll be slapping their kids and telling them to shut up!

PS.

I made a disabled and elderly woman a cup of tea this morning (her home help was late); so I'm not that hard... yet.  (I wished her kettle would boil faster though).

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 10:24:33 pm »
I thought your lass did the ground floor!?  ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 10:25:11 pm »
get it right "wor lass"

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 10:34:37 pm »
get it right "wor lass"

;D sorry Dave i forgot Tosh had educated you guys in Geordanise!

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 11:15:52 pm »

Wor Lass (ahem) does, but when I get too far ahead of her; I trad the bottoms back towards her.

Sometimes I'm five or six houses ahead of her.

When we 'close up' I go back to the pole.

It's great, we don't really work together anymore and it still confuses some of our customers, but most are used to it now.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 11:22:42 pm »

Wor Lass (ahem) does, but when I get too far ahead of her; I trad the bottoms back towards her.

Sometimes I'm five or six houses ahead of her.

When we 'close up' I go back to the pole.

It's great, we don't really work together anymore and it still confuses some of our customers, but most are used to it now.
Tosh, you have confused me now, why traditional back towards "wor lass" why not wfp? unless you think your customers look more closely at the customer cared for down stairs!? ;D

Regards Rob.

Londoner

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 08:22:35 am »
Tosh, don't worry about it . You have reached the perfect state where you can stop worrying about where the work is coming from. Now with the weather changing you just have to worry about how you are going to get it all done.

busydaffodil

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 09:11:08 am »
My businesses are different to yours but I live by the rule that I serve them food that I would eat myself......nothing less will do & no compromise.   Many of my customers have been loyal and constant customers for over 11 years.    I banter with my customers but continue to work at the same time.   
Tosh, we all go through times like your experiencing. I sometimes HATE going to work but when I am there, I do not let people know that and act like normal.   Its not my customers fault if I have bad days.
Perhaps you have taken on too much work now?  perhaps money has become too much in your focus?  Perhaps you are missing the banter & giggles you used to have and its now becoming a boring job? 

Being off work has made me realise how much I would miss it if I had to quit for good.   I am waiting to go back now...and CANNOT WAIT!!