This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark coates

tax relief on computers
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:37:55 pm »
does anyone here know what percentage we can claim back for computer purchases. i know it used to be 100% of whatever it cost a few yr back when tony blair was trying "to get a computer in every home" but im not sure if this is still the case now

stephen d

Re: tax relief on computers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:03:41 pm »
all i would think,its all part of your equipment/expenditure whether it be a computer,ladder or water-fed pole.

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:16:56 am »
I went on a tax course last year with the inland revenue and that very question came up.

They said its a bit of a grey area but generally if the computer was in an office then you should be able to claim 100% but if it was in the home you would probably only get 50% as most people would use it for there own personal things also.

Paul

simbag

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:05:45 am »
My accountant put 100% through, who am I to argue?? ;D

Don't forget your printer, and any related software you use aswell.

stephen d

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:18:11 am »
as a general rule its a good idea to put everything you spend down in your books and your accontant will  allow what  ok,after all thats what you pay him/her for.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:27:22 am »
They said its a bit of a grey area but generally if the computer was in an office then you should be able to claim 100% but if it was in the home you would probably only get 50% as most people would use it for there own personal things also.

Correct answer!

We can all claim for our computers and the people that use it at home just have to understand that should the Tax man ever have a look in detail at your books he will pick it up.

Try to keep the Tax man on your side and don't insult him by claiming for stuff you know you shouldn't, it will just get his back up and make him look deeper into your affairs :(

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire