This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

captain lard

builders type clean
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:23:10 pm »
There is a bloke working on a house on my round,its a small semi with a new conservatory slapped on the back,he has just completed the work and has just knocked at me door asking me to clean them inside and out .
I couldnt go with him to give them the once over now as my wife is out and i am looking after the kids .I asked if there was much building material on them ie plaster and concrete and he said there was a bit.
How do you tackle stuff like that?
I wouldnt care had nothing on today but am pretty busy this week and next , think he wants them done asap cos he is looking to sell but its a once off I think and to be totally honest am worried about damaging the glass as I am new and havent done a builders clean.
If I do it I know I will take ages being careful so it probably wont be worthwhile.
Any advice re. how to deal with cement etc would be welcome.
Me gut instinct is to leave it alone if there is a lot of stuff splattered about cos I dont need the hassle / worry.Have read posts re builders cleans and thought leave the buggers alone .

ccwc1988

Re: builders type clean New
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:36:01 pm »
Sounds scary even the builder says theres a fair bit on the windows. ::)...personally i would leave well alone. Those type of jobs can go on for ever. Usually we charge 4-6 times normal price...but as I said sounds scary
CCWC..if we can't reach it no-one can.

nelson

Re: builders type clean
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:45:51 pm »
sounds like a nightmare but most of it will come off with a stanlet scaper and loads of water

captain lard

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:53:29 pm »
Well I am going to have a look later when he rings and if it looks ok i might quote for it but if there is stuff all over I am leaving it because I dont need the worry and builders cleans were something I wasnt interested in doing anyway-not that anyone had asked till now.Just looked in the Yellow Pages to see if there was anyone local who did them but couldnt see anyone.To be honest though for one small semi doubt anyone will want it as a one off.I might be able to make a few quid but think I will just be worrying the whole time-dont need the stress.
Builders cleans and upcv restoration were taboo and he wants both!!

captain lard

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:33 pm »
Went and had a look and it wasnt toobad,aye the frames are dirty and the windows dusty but there were only 2 panes with cement on and it came off with a gentle nail scratch so I thought this isnt too bad.Its a semi with 2 windows to the front,one up one down,4 on the side 2 up 2 down,2 down are v. small,3 windows at back,2 high,one down and a small conservatory.Normally this would get done for £6 -dont laugh cos the prices are tight round here-so I took a look round at the windows to see if there was any nightmare bits and told him £35 and got the job,so am chuffed.Scheduled to do them Thursday afternoon after the carpet fitters have been and all the work is finished.
Plus 2 new customers just rang up wanting fortnightlies-sweet. 

robbie14000

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:43:33 pm »
Captain, just be careful when cleaning the windows.
Ask to go round with the owner to pick out scratch marks etc that are already there from the builders cos they can try and pull a fast one.
Use plently of water as when rubbing with the applicator you can still scratch the windows.
Let us all know how you get on as they are a pain to do and generally do not turn out to be worth it.
I have just priced one in Harrogate 3 bed semi £75.00 in/out thought I would scare her off with the price but she said yes thats fine when can you do it.
If it,s a mess ask about the facias/soffits while you are there to try and get extra.
Good luck with it.
Robbie - Clearshine - Harrogate

captain lard

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 07:53:07 pm »
Thanks for the tip mate-will report back,had a good look at them before I committed but will inspect them pre clean just in case.I didnt think he would take the price to be honest.The house is on my round so am hoping the eventual buyers will get me to clean them regularly which will be canny after I do this job on them after all the building work.