This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david68

The pure water
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:27:48 pm »
Hi
I was asked by a customer if we can drink the pure water we make?

Thought i will ask you chaps this question

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Jon T.C.

Re: The pure water
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:29:22 pm »
No :o
Elite Cleaning Solutions

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:59:49 pm »
I think its ok after the ro but not after the di.
Sussex by the sea

david68

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:12:52 am »
He just liked the 0000 purity.

And thought it must be great to drink......

Said i would let him know

But i see it don't look that way

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Pat Purcell

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 12:14:22 am »
why not?
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

david68

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:17:22 am »
Thats what i was asking...... :P
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 01:13:58 am »
No :o
but why?
i have a merlin, its designed for domestic use to purify water at point of use, not for wfp
maybe there is something in chris@c.m.s. 's reply about after di, I'd be interested to know why too.
Simon

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 06:04:27 am »
I've yet to hear a definitive answer myself, but the resin the water passes through is poisonous, but whether that also makes the water itself bad for you I'm not sure, it is just the resin itself that is bad.
some say that the purified water does things to your insides, but the moment it is inside your mouth it is no longer pure, and by the time it's in your stomach it is mixed up with all your digestive juices and anything else you've consumed!!

Just after the R/O has done its work its fine, and a good R/O will reduce the water to 0.001ppm (mine did when new)

Even though I do not know whether the resin will indeed make the water unsafe to drink or not, I still wouldn't do it!, just in case!!
I have done after the R/O though.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

freshwater

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:12:47 am »
THIS IS THE DIFINITIVE ANSWER. You can drink RO water. Best not to drink out of your wfp units as it will most likely be laced with high levels of bacteria. RO water is better than tap water it has no pesticides, no herbicides, no heavy metals etc. But what about the minerals in tap water I hear you say, WHAT MINERALS comes the reply, you get all the minerals you need for, a well balanced diet. Compared to the crap in the tap water the minuscule amount of minerals in tap water aren’t worth bothering about. We have been selling drinking water ROs since 1990 if you have clients that are interested send them to our web page.
 http://www.freshwatersystems.co.uk/domestic_ro_systems.htm

steve@freshwatersystems.co.uk

david68

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:27:21 am »
Thanks all

I will forward that link to him

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:35:30 am »
THIS IS THE DIFINITIVE ANSWER. You can drink RO water. Best not to drink out of your wfp units as it will most likely be laced with high levels of bacteria. RO water is better than tap water it has no pesticides, no herbicides, no heavy metals etc. But what about the minerals in tap water I hear you say, WHAT MINERALS comes the reply, you get all the minerals you need for, a well balanced diet. Compared to the crap in the tap water the minuscule amount of minerals in tap water aren’t worth bothering about. We have been selling drinking water ROs since 1990 if you have clients that are interested send them to our web page.
 http://www.freshwatersystems.co.uk/domestic_ro_systems.htm

steve,

what if any effect does the resin have should you drink the water after it has passed through your DI???

If you change your pre-filters regularly, will this negate any bacteria?

As I understand it (though I'm not 100% sure) My R/O system started life as a drinking water one...

Ian

freshwater

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 06:15:49 pm »
Ian,

In theory it should be OK to drink water from DI resin but in practice its not advisable. DI resin uses an acid & a caustic as regenerants and if these leach into the water at the wrong rates you will be in trouble.

To keep bacteria out of an RO it need to be permanently connected to water supply. Its product water (pure needs to be stored in a pressurised sealed storage tank to prevent airborne bacteria getting to the water.

Changing filters regularly will help with bacteria but not to the extent that will make it safe to drink.

Most of the products we use in the RO systems are originally domestic RO components. Its the way they are used by the WFPs that make the water unsafe to drink.

steve@freshwayersystems.co.uk

Ian_Giles

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 06:45:13 pm »
I've had the runs for weeks now :-[ (no really)

Actually got nothing to do with the water though! lol

Presumably it is fine to use R/O water produced by WFP in the kettle for tea and coffee??
Or washing your hair in...apparently because it is so soft its supposed to be really good for your hair!

Ian

freshwater

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 08:37:30 pm »
Ian,

Boiling in a gas type kettle will be OK but not an electric kettle as they suht off too quick, you need up to 3 min boiling to kill some water borne bacteria.

Washing hair OK, but how are you going to warm it up.

If you want soft fly away hair fit an automatic softener to your house water supply, this will benefit you and your family and also your RO. They are not all that expensive and will pay for themselves in a couple of years with savings on soaps, detergents, improvement in water heating and lee appliance breakdowns.

Go take a look at:-

http://www.freshwatersystems.co.uk/domsoft_softeners.htm

Pat Purcell

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 09:12:01 pm »
[

In theory it should be OK to drink water from DI resin but in practice its not advisable. DI resin uses an acid & a caustic as regenerants and if these leach into the water at the wrong rates you will be in trouble.

Presumbly these are at such low levels even in the event of leaching that they have no effect on window seals or newer architectural glass coatings?
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

freshwater

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:39:29 pm »
pat,

They will be very low. And would not cause any damage to seals etc. My warning was from the point of view of human consumption, as we all know the WFP brigade are all for "where's the cheapest" as we see on many posts, so I would not expect all the DI resin used to be of the highest standard.

steve@freshwatersystems .co.uk