Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

scrim boy

I think ive knackered my membrane-help!
« on: September 09, 2006, 05:26:57 pm »
I@ve got a four stage r/o (carbon and sediment filter, membrane and DI) and I read that I was supposed to backwash my membrane etc - so I connected tap water straight to membrane and flushed it out with tap water - it made tds reading shoot up so I came online to see if there was anything posted to help me - now I have read that chlorine from tap water will ruin my membrane!!! so I obviously did not backwash correctly - I have a champ 4000 membrane housing but I don't know how to open it to see what membrane looks like or to replace it - can some one tell me -  1 - how do I do a backwash?  2- how do I open membrane housing and fit new membrane 3- where do I get replacement membrane and what type would I get? please help cos I can't work till I get this sorted! -

TERRY AB

Re: I think ive knackered my membrane-help!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:17:04 pm »
Im pretty sure you have not knackrered your Membrane, OK
Chlor will ruin the Membrane (Thats why you have the Pre-Filters)
but if you have only done this for a short time you wont have done any damage (IMO).
The Backwash is done do remove build up on the walls of the Membrane housing (Inside of course), what happens by the Backwash is that more water passes out through the side of the Membrane than throught the Membrane itself therefore washing out all sticking sediments, this goes straight to the drain, to do this your system must have a valve system to adjust the amount of pure water passing through and the amount being rejected, the backwash procedure wont produce much RO water but flush the Membrane. Check with your supplier how the intended to Backwash.
If you need to replace the Membrane its going to be quite expensive and difficult as the Ends of the Membrane are basically sealed and very difficult to remove and need resealing 100% tight fit. Ask your supplier if it becomes necessary whether he will do this for you (Warranty!!).
I reckon if you find out how to Backwash you will only need to do a longer Backwash (maybe an Hour) and your TDS values will improve again.