Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ABLECLEAN

Grey stains
« on: August 30, 2006, 11:21:12 pm »
Hi guys.

It is not very often that I have been caught out over the years but last week I turned up at a house with an assistant to clean a white wool loop-pile carpet in a bedroom.

I had been out to survey it a few days previously and apart from it looking slightly grey all over the entire surface I could not see a problem. I planned to pre-spray with solution no.2 and extract with clean water. On the day of the clean (Thursday) I helped my guy to set up the machine and then went off to do an estimate. When I returned about 45 minutes later he told me that he had had a hell of a job to get it clean and had gone over it about four times but had resorted to using Fomula 90 powder to get the result. The customer said it looked great so we were all happy. On Saturday afternoon the customer rang me to complain that the carpet was still wet and was smelling badly of damp wool!!. I told her that there was no point trying to extract any more out of it at this late stage but I would check it out on Sunday. When I arrived out the house I was told that the carpet was now dry but there were patches on it. I immediately thought of browning but when I went upstairs I was surprised to see that the chevron pattern left by the wand strokes were all highlighted in grey as if it had been printed on!!. Even though it was not brown, I tryed browning prescription as the backing is jute. After an hour there was no change so I extracted with fibre and fabric rinse in the water. The pattern was still obvious in places.
I then emptied the machine and put extraction Pro in the new water and cleaned at 50 degrees. I left a turbo dryer running whilst I was extracting and for 4 hours after. When I returned the next day all the wand marks had gone but there is still a large irregular slightly darker area in the middle of the room. It looks like I might have to replace the carpet unless someone has had a similar experience. Would Ultrapak Renovate be any help? I would appreciate any positive input. (Not sarcasm) Thanks

Kev Loomes

Re: Grey stains
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:49:18 am »
I know the horse has already bolted and all that, but if the operator had wanded in one direction it probably wouldnt have happened. Just out of interest, why did you clean at such a low temp? Hotter may have eleviated it better.

Cheers

Liahona

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:07:34 pm »
Ableclean, when you say grey do you actually mean grey? Or just a different shade colour of the white? It could just be you brought the dust to the surface and it greighs the sight. As formula mentioned, it would be advisable to finish your wand stroke all in the same direction, You should avoid the chevron effect as much as you can. Some velvet carpets and especially silk and linen carpets will not recover from the chevrons if left to dry that way. Other thing is, you mught want to brush the carpet after wanding it which will mostly always get out the chevrons. Best, Dave.

Mark Roberts

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 02:21:29 pm »
I agree, sounds like it needed a good pre-vac and there is still dirt present.

I would go back give it a good pre-vac then use ms or similar with host or sebo duo.
It should not have stayed wet for 2 days so if you need more wet passes to fully extract the dirt, use at least 3 dry passes for each stroke. I always brush the carpet after extraction esp on wool.

Good luck